Music From The Elder review by KISS

• Released: Nov 10, 1981
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
KISS: Music From The Elder

This album has a slow tempo compared to the other albums. It is more slow paced. Kiss had once again changed their image in 1981. In this album the drums are at a Peter Criss level which you can imagine are quite simple. Eric Carr didn't perform his best in this album at all. Producer Bob Ezrin wanted to experiment with a new sound. Unfortunately this slow paced style did not suite this rock and roll band. The world also thought the same thing for this album did not stay in the top 100 charts for long.

Like all KISS songs they tell stories about what happened, is happening or is going to happen. Rumors where that there was suppost to be a movie about the elder but because the actors quit nothing happened. The lyrics really fit in with the music for Paul Stanley didn't go extreme with his vocals and took it real easy. Like always Paul's singing is amazing.

This album is completely different from KISS' older albums. This is the elder era which has a somewhat new sound. The most impressive song for me is "The Oath" because I love the rapid fire bass drum in the verse. The rest of the songs for me where way too slow and even the guitars sucked. Ace's work on the solos where marginal. If this album was left in the middle of a busy sidewalk, I doubt anybody would take it for the music was not too good.

shaofu0424
    i love this record as a concept record... mr blackwell is pretty rad... weirdly enough, though, i swear i saw either a partial of this film or the rough cut of the movie somehow when i was young- very young... i know the whole thing about it not being made, but the memory is there... if anyone has any info on what this might have been- please let me know... i also remember it not being what i either expected or wanted... something about a kid living in an urban area whose fantasy life involved this story of the elders... he had urban problems- christopher makepeace of the bodyguard fame... but faced them in a fantastical context... i dont know... i was like six yrs old...
    metallicaPOOS
    enjoyed the story shaofu0424. i actually like this album. its cool to hear kiss play a concept record. its a cool change.
    Sloopy
    I don't really mind this record. It's just hard to get past because its a KISS record. I listen to it a few times a year and I really like it when its like late at night and I can chill.