Paul Stanley review by KISS

• Released: Jan 1, 1978
KISS: Paul Stanley

The sound on this album is somewhat unreal; nevertheless it is still a 9, why you may ask? Well it is basically the exact same sound that Kiss use, which to me is a little disappointing as someone with such caliber and skill as Paul Stanley could have at least used a new tone for the album. However he used his initiative at picking some awesome session musicians which I talk about a little more in the next section.

Paul Stanley, the major contributor of Kiss lyrically and the rhythm guitarist was expected to make one of the best of the 4 and he did pull it off. Unlike Ace, Gene and Peter, Paul didn't do a cover whereas Ace did New York Groove, Gene did When You Wish Upon A Star and Peter did Tossin' And Turnin'. Anyway about the sound, I think that this would make a very good Kiss album whereas the other member's albums wouldn't make an average KISS album because they were so diverse and different to what a Kiss album actually is. His studio musicians have done a good job on the album. Bob Kulik (not future guitarist Bruce Kulik) has done some fantastic lead guitar on this album, on tracks such as Love In Chains and Aint Quite Right it's so melodic. However on Hold Me, Touch Me (Think Of Me When We're Apart) all guitars were done by Paul so you can also admire the versatility and time it took him for this track. I think music innovations for this album are probably Mountain and Led Zeppelin. I'm giving the sound a 9 as I believe he just tried to recreate the Kiss sound and not invent a Paul Stanley sound.

My overall impression of this album is that this album is great. The album art is great. The artist is great. Great, great, great. I think that the most impressive tracks of the album are Goodbye, Tonight You Belong To Me and Aint Quite Right. I think that if you enjoy this album then I highly recommend the 2006 solo album (I'm reviewing soon) Live To Win which features a track he wrote with John 5 (formerly of Marilyn Manson). I love this album. It is definitely a 10. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again as I love this album.

BrineB
    People rave about Ace's album....but to me this is the absolute best. Every song is spectacular. I got it when it came out....I was about 8 years old. I loved it at the time but I was too young to recognize the brilliance in this album. Just listen to the song "It's Alright". You can't get any better than that. And of course it's got the Kiss sound. It's Paul Stanley. Brilliant.