Psycho Circus Review

KISS: Psycho Circus
Released: September 22, 1998
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock
The albums really sound as sleazy as the men who make them.
 8.7
 7.2
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Psycho Circus Reviewed by: Ace From Space, on june 07, 2004

Sound: Terrific! This album does not exactly sound like Kiss. But it sounds like they are having fun. A great modern hard rock album with a that classic feeling still. Songs like 'Within' or 'Into The Void' are great songs that should have done better than they did. The one song that really did sound like a KISS song is the title song 'Psycho Circus'. Just lots of that sound Ace is famous for. While a few songs sounded a bit too loud, the rest were great. Ace has, possibly, the best solo I've heard from him on 'Within' where he just jams. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album were, surprisingly, pretty deep. Kiss songs are usually not deep, heartfelt songs. A lot of these songs are. Take 'Within' (my favorite song off the album) for example. "Cry without tears, sleep without dreams". Maybe it's just them putting random oxymorons together but it sounds good. Paul is a great singer but I sometimes think Gene would do a better job with a few songs. Each member of the band sang at least one song. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, it was a very different album for Kiss. I do think it should've sold better than it did upon its release in 1998. "Within", "Journey Of 1,000 Years", "Into The Void". Just a few of my favorites off of the album. Each song sounds like they put 100% into it and sounds great. I'm not sure I could find a single flaw on the album, and I'm still really surprised it didn't sell better. If this album were lost/stolen I would definitely buy another copy. // 10

Comments