Revenge review by KISS

• Released: May 19, 1992
KISS: Revenge

This album has the sound and production of a heavy metal masterpiece. The excellent palm muting and screeching guitar courtesy of Bruce Kulick and Paul Stanley mesh really well with Gene's best performance in the studio. Their new drummer, Eric Singer, also sounds great with his pounding bass drum and snare fills. For this album Kiss went back to producer Bob Ezrin, and they created a great heavy metal record. During the '80s Kiss had drifted into hair metal obscurity, but as the '90s rolled around they tapped into the success of such groups as Alice in Chains and brought in your face heavy metal back to life. On the album the sound is perfect and theres no competition between any of the instruments.

Gene and Paul really outdid themselves on this record. The lyrics for songs like "Unholy" and "Spit" are very creative and work really well with the music. It seemed as if Paul knew his voice didn't fit with most of the songs on the album and gave most of them to Gene. Gene's raunchy gritty singing style easily puts him up there with the great metal vocalists.

This album is definatly one of the top records in the KISS catalog. I love the riffs and drums on the record. The most immpressive song on the album has to be "Unholy," and the least impressive being "Take It Off." If anyone stole this from me I'd hunt 'em down and take it back, but not before blasting them away with this heavy metal masterpiece. I also thought it was cool the way that they added "Carr Jam 1981" to the CD, as a way to remember there deceased drummer Eric Carr. Go buy this album, you won't regret it!

JackWhite1988
    Probably the coolest Kiss album. The last great KISS album I suppose. If not Revenge I'd say Lick it Up. Psycho Circus was good but not the best reunion album ever.
    ace man
    channelled (or ripped off?) zeppelin and spinal tap during spit. great album though