Rock And Roll Over review by KISS

• Released: Nov 11, 1976
KISS: Rock And Roll Over

This is Kiss' fifth studio album, and although they were starting to get carried away with their image, it still is a solid album. The album is follows the grain of almost all kiss albums, but it has the top 20 songs 'Calling Dr. Love' and 'Hard Luck Woman' that make it considered a great kiss album. Most of the songs are Simmons and Stanley rock n roll numbers, but a few songs such as 'Hard Luck Woman' are more easy-listening, most likely made to produce a hit. The album features great vocals as usual by Paul Stanley and the same goes for Gene and Peter. Ace does a great job and has some memorable solos on this record also.

Kiss' lyrics on this album are like they always are, fantastic. They are always about having a great time. They really help this album get that happy, party-like vibe. Peter Criss wrote one song and sings 2 on this album, Ace still didn't have the balls to sing, and of course Gene and Paul wrote and sang their share of songs. Paul Stanley actually wrote the song "Hard Luck Woman" with the intention of having Rod Stewart sing and record it, but Gene Simmons insisted that Peter should sing it. Overall the lyrics follow the usual Kiss style of girls, sex and having a great time.

This is definately one of kiss' best albums. It is classic '70s rock 'n' roll kiss. One could say it was the band in their prime and it showcased some of their stellar songwriting skills with many hits. It was kiss' first album to ship gold, and it has since gone Platinum. Despite being the beginning of Kiss' image first, music second mentality, it is still a great rock n roll record.

Sloopy
    I like this record, but I always found the production much more sterile than Destroyer or Love Gun.
    ace man
    Destroyer is a stronger album. The songs on raro all seem too simple to be destroyers follow up. The only song on here I really enjoyed was Mr Speed.
    BS 1977
    I like RARO, great album. It is consistent all the way through. Destroyer, however is far superior. It's more heavy, gritty, and focused.
    BrineB
    This is my absolute favorite Kiss album. I like the striped down production by Eddie Kramer. All of the songs just hang in your head. And they've been hanging in mine for 35 years.