Sonic Boom review by KISS

• Released: Oct 6, 2009
KISS: Sonic Boom

Gene Simmons is no fool. As the mouthpiece and businessman (often to a fault) of KISS, he probably is well aware that you don't screw with a formula when it works. It's been 11 years since his legendary quartet released a full-length album of original material, and Sonic Boom certainly sounds like what you'd expect out of a KISS record. This is where the slippery slope comes into play. Does the audience want something a little different after so many years? Do you risk artistic freedom? It's hard to say if Simmons even broached these subjects, particularly when Sonic Boom is the latest in several rock records to be sold exclusively at Walmart (a move which reeks of marketing ploys). Once you get over that elephant in the room, you're left to enjoy an album that at least has the fun factor going for it. You'll get your standard KISS fare on Sonic Boom, with both the sleazy rockers and arena anthems coming out in full force. Once again Ace Frehley is a no-show, but the current lineup is a familiar one with Stanley, Simmons, guitarist Tommy Thayer, and drummer Eric Singer lending their efforts. If there is one thing that is still impossibly impressive, it's that Stanley's enthusiasm and vocal delivery has not been affected in the slightest by age. He's still a dynamo at what he does, and that's jaw-dropping at 57 years of age. Simmons' up-to-no-good vocals are always a hoot, particularly when paired with some of the cheesy lyrics heard on Sonic Boom. Singer and Thayer make a good showing, with Thayer actually bringing the record up to a different level. There are some incredibly juicy riffs (it wouldn't have hurt to hear even more) and Thayer deserves credit for keeping the album fresh at many points along the way. The first single Modern Day Delilah is a perfect opener with its blues-rock, in-your-face intro. The guys in KISS aren't reinventing the wheel, but Thayer's riffs (plus solo) and Stanley's vocals make the track incredibly likable. Russian Roulette is pure Gene Simmons, with even the monster-tongued rocker's bass thumping brilliantly in the mix. As far as core songwriting is concerned, Russian Roulette is Simmons' most memorable song when acting as singer, but Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect) is so over-the-top and sleazy lyrically that it might be the latter that garners the most attention. The key feel-good song on Sonic Boom is Stand, but it doesn't necessarily start off as your run-of-the-mill spirit lifter. Although the intro is fueled by a fantastic riff and the verses are power-chord driven, the chorus utilizes KISS' trademark harmonies. In fact, there's even a moment at the end where that harmonization goes in more of a Beatles' direction. The band isn't getting all artsy on us, but it makes for a refreshing change. You could argue that the new KISS record sounds somewhat cookie cutter in fashion. Never Enough is reminiscent to Poison's Nothin' But A Good Time during the verses and Hot and Cold actually runs fairly close to Dr. Love. There is, however, a good chunk of your standard fun KISS material, with I'm An Animal delivering a dirty, grooving riff and When Lightning Strikes supplying plenty of cowbell.

The band rarely takes itself too seriously on Sonic Boom, with plenty of tracks covering sexual topics or general machismo. A lot of the boisterous lyrics come from none other than Simmons (in Hot and Cold' he sings, What's your name; We're both thinking the same thing; Now we'll let the games begin), and not surprisingly, he sells the content pretty well. If you're familiar with any of KISS' past material, the lyrical content should be par for the course and not create too many waves.

KISS won't make any huge splashes with Sonic Boom, and it feels like the quartet is maintaining the status quo. Guitarist Thayer is an unexpected highlight, and he actually could have been utilized more so throughout the course of the 11-track album. At no time will you likely be surprised by the material, and that might be disappointing for anyone who is expecting Simmons or Stanley to change their tune at this stage in the game. But if all you're looking for is some groove-oriented straightforward rock tracks that stay true to KISS' roots, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Sonic Boom.

FearOfTheDuck
    You sound pretty tight, its $12 for you (i live in england and thats equivilent to 6) but its actually 12 over here. It includes the new album, 15 re-recorded songs and a DVD, how isn't that a good deal. So what if they sell loads of other crap? Everyones knows that! I don't really care to be quite honest, they've made a decent rock n roll record, its a return to form. I think a "true" Kiss fan would support Paul and Gene. It looks like to me that they just want to keep on making music. They don't need to, they're stinking rich, but they still do cos they care about the music too.
    Roberttitus
    Roberttitus
    tomm35live
    Am I the only person who believes this album to be a major step up musically for Kiss? I'm not a Kiss fanatic by any means, but this is a solid album which they've obviously put plenty of soul into. It's not amazing, but it's not garbage. Much of the guitar is juicy as. Good work Thayer, good work Kiss.
    cherrypie287
    Yeah I mean who goes to actually listen to the music? Everyone goes because of the cheap firework show.
    Polaris666
    I hate how all people do is bash KISS in every single thigns that mentions them. Yes their music is simple, even they know that. It's meant to be fun and great and does just that. Yes Gene is in love with money, he knows that. He's a business man and a kickass bassist as well. And stop complaining about Eric and Tommy using Peter and Ace's makeup designs. This was Gene's idea and, in my opinion, represents the KISS the world fell in love with. And those people who say KISS sucks and only listen to "black metal" or whatever it is, take a good look at the bands you listen to. Black and white make up, pyrotechnics and shock-rock attitudes? Oddly familiar to KISS don't you think? KISSmania will NEVER die!
    sleeler69
    And for all the people that hate, Eric and Tommy wearing Ace/Peter make-up, you might as well get used to it and prepare yourselves. Because there will be a day when Gene and Paul are no longer in KISS, at least not on stage(at least while they are alive)taking more of a CEO, behind the scenes role, and two strangers WILL be wearing their make-up. Kiss will go LONG after they are dead. who knows, Eric and Tommy will probably go on to be the elder members of the group and make sure that the KISS idea and image are carried out.
    sleeler69
    There is a Great interview with Paul Stanley on sleazeroxx.com He has intelligent anwsers that unintentionaly address all the bone headed comments made here and other forums. He say's that he is not delusional enough to think that even he isnt replaceable in KISS! And for all the Peter Criss lovers, and there is nothing wrong with that, we should remember that Eric Singer has been in and out of KISS for the last 18 yrs. Anyways, check it out, its a good read.
    Slay 'Em
    This is going to end up just like AC/DC. All the songs will sound more like previous riffs than keeping the same style and actually sounding good.
    sleeler69
    He lost faith at Destroyer, so R-n-R over and Love Gun were to much of a change for him. Peter and Ace blew their SECOND chance. Neither of which ever progressed as musicians. Peter was never good. Every drummer in the 70's out-shines Peter by far. And his playing today is plain and out dated. Tommy and Eric dont have a say in different make-up designs or how they play on KISS records. Although they both are still noticeably better live and on record than Peter or ACE. $12 is too much for 2 cd's and a dvd. And he hates that KISS is a merch-machine and he wont give two greedy old men his money. Yet he went to the first reunion show and bought a t-shirt. As a goof. Right. Enjoy this years show and dont forget to buy the shirt. You hate them, yet Gene and Paul were still able to get your money!
    Zappanator
    Any retard working at a fireworks store could put on a show like Kiss...just saying
    damicoman
    sorry to tell you all but i saw their concert last night in oshawa and it was freakin amazing!!!!!
    GoingNumb
    Ok, I've read most of these comments so far and I would like to express my opinion. ONE: Yes, I too, didn't think this album was going to be good and was being used as a cash bank. Whether it's a cash bank or not, I was was taken back on how awesome this record is. I listened to the entire album over and over again, and I can say, that KISS have not lost their touch. It sounds like KISS and rocks like KISS. As much as UG compaires some songs to other bands, I think it's stupid. UG is trying to be all fancy in their knowledge that they lose sight on what is real: This is a frickin awesome album (especially after 11 years and having two seasoned lead singers). Gene's voice is amazing, Paul's voice is superb and the music rocks hard. TWO: Uptight (too hardcore?) KISS fans really need to grow up. Honestly, you can listen to their album KNOWING that it's not the original lineup. Even though Ace and Peter are no longer apart of the band, doesn't mean that Tommy and Eric are "posers" or "imposters." I think if anything, I agree with UG by Tommy Thayer's performance on this album. I think he knew that he had big shoes to fill and had to earn respect from the fans, and on this album, he gave his all, and you know what? He's an amazing guitarist. He well fit to be in KISS and deserves a lot more credit than being called an imposter! (Do I dare say he's better than even Ace?) Did anyone complain when Dave Grohl replaced the drummer for Nirvana? What about Travis Barker for Blink-182? Anybody up for the lead singer of ACDC? Didn't think so. I don't hear anybody griping about how they don't listen to the Eagles anymore when they added another member to their band... ok, so maybe it's not the best analogy, but you get my point. THIRD: KISS has been a massive marketing band for years, and to "fans" of KISS, it shouldn't come as a surprise. T-Shirts, PJs, Posters, Pool Tables, etc. KISS has it covered. Fans love collecting memorbilia and KISS has produced tons of products to satisfy their fans. In the case of Sonic Boom, to me, for what KISS is known for, $12 is a bargain. You get the album, Sonic Boom, and you get a KISS KLASSICS CD, which I should add that all the songs are rerecorded , not just a rehash of a greatest hits album. Plus, you get a DVD with different LIVE songs, sure it's not the full concert, but hey, it has Rock and Roll All Nite. For $12...that's a steal. I'm one of those people that believe albums should be $10, too, but honestly, lets be serious. For $2 bucks more, you get a DVD and 15 rerecorded klassic hits. WOW! geez, $2...Pearl Jam's Backspacer was $12 and I got 11 songs that has a total running of 37 minutes. Though, just because it's KISS, we'll complain more. I will make one side note, and that is not all bands can afford to make their CDs $8 or $10. They need a living too and I think if you were in a band, you would understand. I watched KISS' performance on the David Letterman show and I think, for being seasoned as they are, they really rocked hard. Paul's voice still illuminates and Thayer (though slightly unheard) shouldn't go unnoticed. KISS still know, despite thoughs who disagree with their marketing, how to rock the house. I think people need to get over themselves, stop whining and listen to the music. KISS, no matter what, is legendary. Whether you hate em or love em, they've inspired many around the world and their music is stapled into rock and roll. This album proves that KISS still has it, and it well worth the listen, and it shouldn't hold anybody back just because they love to whine. Overall, in my opinion, I would give this album a 9, but for those who gave it an 8, I would agree with you as well. To me, this was the Chinese Democracy I was looking for in KISS. It rocks, their lyrics, even as silly as they are, are classic and their music doesn't morph into mainstream "rock." Plus, Paul did this all on his own, to make sure KISS was up to his standards and to make KISS fans happy. If this was to be their last album, I would say they went out in a bang.
    Robin_OldSchool
    cherrypie287 : Led Zeppelin didnt wear make up and use fireworks.
    first of all will you and Zappanator stop trolling so bad.. second, I remember Jimmy Page sometimes dressed himself like a drifter when they performed live around the time when Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III were released isn't that a kind of other side of him too and a sort of trademark back then for him ? I just bought the album today and I think the album is good for KISS standards because thats where you have to look at. Seriously do you people expect a musicalgenius album of KISS ? KISS is and was always about having fun and for me thats what real Rock N Roll is about and I think you can't deny that having a good time the spirit of rock n roll is. I saw KISS last year at the Alive 35 tour and they were very tight and put on a good show because you know what, thats what KISS is about ! Having a good time at their concert with entertainment and Rock N Roll because they are Rock musicians and entertainers as well. Sure I love Ace and Peter but people need to get over them. They both obviously couldn't handle being famous with the alcohol and drug problems back around '79. It was Gene and Pauls band so I can respect they made the decision not to let KISS fall apart because of them. If you have a own band with people and you started it would you let it go to pieces because someone or maybe 2 persons are too much busy with drugs or alcohol then with trying to go further ? Believe me you don't I kinda know how it is. I too find it kinda stupid they first put on a farewell tour but then decidided to go on but I can understand it a bit because they had too give up something that is bigger as life. KISS fans are probably they loyalest fans of any music group ever just like Slayer fans and perhaps they were afraid letting them down. In conclusion I think Sonic Boom is a good album for KISS. If they put out another album like Music In The Elder then it be a bad album yes because it isn't what KISS is about, just having fun in life and to rock n roll. Even though Gene is an ''greedy *****'' he never tried letting fans down, Ace and Peter clearly had a lot of demons in them which cause them to let KISS down and so let the fans down. I'm a big fan of Ace Frehley's guitar playing but he simply ****ed up. Thayer and Singer did a good job on the album, they both fit in well and they both earned their stripes with other bands soo get over it, listen to the album and realise its just a KISS album, pure and simple.
    E.harley
    being a true kiss fan from the early 70's, and sticking with them through the 80's, to present, i must say that this new cd is truely there best since '77 love gun. paul stanley got it done. the mix is much like rock and roll over, and the songs are a fusion of the first 3 studio albums and the 2nd 3 studio albums. which is what kiss was and is. as far as the attitude about thayer & singer - my hat is off, thayer plays ace better than ace, and singer is a team player with chops and they both have great voices. people forget ace was a hired gun. he auditioned for kiss, he was not a founding member,and he wanted to play his own music. peter left the first time for his family, and of course the second time was over money. i guess 4 million bones wasn't enough. what ever - i recommend this cd for the true kiss fan, especially the fan who don't hold personnal grudges, or are jealous of there "money". i give it 9
    OnEvOlUmEb!tCh
    well, being a huge kiss fan (mainly with ace and peter in the band), I couldnt help but have to get the record anyway. I am pleasantly surprised. The album is actually pretty good. What really surprised me about the new music is Tommy Thayer. He does a very good job as the lead. Without trying to copy or replace ace, his sound is very similiar to aces and I really like his sound. Thumbs up to this
    sleeler69
    ironpriest believes kiss is over-rated just like the beatles, metallica and nirvana. and cherrypie287, had the late breaking news that Led Zepplin didnt wear make-up and use fireworks. please tell me that you two morons(although there are alot more of you,that I just havent mentioned)are just instigators with nothing better to do. Because I cant truely believe that you guys believe what you are saying. i can understand having nothing better to do. But it scares me that you really could be as dumb as you come across.
    rockandmetalfan
    i bought the album today and i must say, this album is very good. i loved how you got 3 disc's for 12 dollars. klassic hits cd i thought was sad. they were great covers, but i thought it would've been easier to just collect their old recordings and put it on a cd. other than that, its a great album. Buy It Now!
    Rocker_94
    Kiss already does have greatest hits CDs, but I personally like the idea of re-recording some of their greatest hits just for them to sound new, and get a new energy to them. I'm not necessarily a fan of messing with classics, but I think more people would be more willing to listen to Kiss if it sounded new. Lots of people won't even give songs a chance for the pure reason that they're old, or they sound old. The one that I noticed the biggest difference on was Calling Dr. Love. I think the change was positive.
    gumbloid
    The packaging of the new KISS album is similar to what Journey recently did: 1 cd of new material, 1 cd of classics re-worked and 1 live DVD. I have been an Ace Frehley fanatic, but I was pleasantly surprised with Tommy Thayer's playing. Eric Singer is also a better drummer than Peter Criss ever will be. I had the pleasure of seeing Eric Singer tour with Black Sabbath and Badlands. He is a solid musician. As far as Sonic Boom goes, the Simmons' tunes remind me of KISS in the 70's and Stanley's tunes remind me of KISS in the 80's. The vocal appearances by Thayer and Singer were decent. Regretably, I didn't get a chance to see the recent KISS Alive 35 show. However, if they return in the next year or so I will be there. In closing, this is far better than Pyscho Cirus. I give it an 8.
    fridgeraider
    I will admit that not having Ace Frehley and Peter Criss is a let down but if Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley wanted to make a new KISS cd then they have the right to get other people. What is with everyone complaining about not having original members? Does anyone realize how often bands go through different people? And it's been 30 or so years since they started, It's almost suprising that there's any original members other than Gene Simmons. Tommy Thayer is a kickass guitarist and is probably better than Ace Frehley (Expecting hate mail for that). Eric Singer is as good a drummer as Peter Criss. Anyway, I got this CD and with the exception of a couple songs, i can listen to the CD the entire way through. Not spectacular, but it has it's moments.
    jonandbrit1990
    Good Post!
    jonandbrit1990
    jonandbrit1990 wrote: Roberttitus wrote: thirteenburn wrote: Eh, I lost faith in KISS after Destroyer. Not in anyway a psychic, but I knew back then that they were heading in a "different direction" and it turned out I was right. They became far more commercial and to me, it seemed they existed only to sell merch. Psycho Circus blew massive chunks and to be honest, I really don't care that the majority of the reviews I've read so far give this album props. The fact that Tommy Thayer (ex-Black N' Blue guitarist) and Eric Singer have chosen to cop two members make-up and to any die-hard, original member (within the first couple years at least) of the KISS Army, this is unexceptable blasphemy! If I happen to know someone who owns this and I like it, I may have them burn it for me but I don't care what's involved for "only" $12 bucks (to me, ALL CD's should be priced between $8 and $10), I'm not giving my money to a couple of greedy old men and two imposters. They want to be in KISS, fine, just do it without the make up or come up with your own gig - there was, is and always will be only ONE Spaceman and only ONE Catman, period and the fact that Gene and Paul allow this fakery to happen says exactly how they've let greed go to their heads. The sooner this band just goes away, the better. I saw them back in the 70's and I went to their FIRST "farewell" tour and I still wear the concert shirt as a goof because of the FOUR "farewell" concerts that followed. Now they claim to be having so much "fun" (spelled $$$$$) to ever think about quitting. Ya, right. If you were a REAL KISS fan you would like the music regardless of who is in the band. Speaking of which... calling Eric an "imposter" is ludacris. He has been in the band for 10 years & MOST fans would agree that he is better than peter anyways. Speaking of Ace... he is sloppy as all hell live. Tommy... not so much. I do agree that they should have there own makeup, but it really isn't there choice now is it? So stop being such a whine ass & enjoy the music... or even better DON'T, because if you are more concerned about the makeup than what the music sounds like... we don't want you in the KISS Army. Good Post!
    I totally Agree, My favorite song off the album is Modern Day Delilah
    Kanadian_Kiss
    The worst KISS cd period: After listening to this cd 3 times already it has gotten progressively worse. Unimaginative, repetitive, formulated and of course "branded". It sounds more like a Def Leppard album, no disrespect to them however as they are an entirely different genre. I've been a fan of the original KISS lineup since their first album and can't believe that I spent money on this. Elder and Dynasty and dare I say Hot in the Shade sound better than this monopolized collection of music geared at fans (that will purchase anything with a KISS logo on it). Shameful and distasteful. When KISS comes to Winnipeg next month I will not be there. I refuse to support a cover band that sells out arenas with guys pretending to be a 'character'. If you want true musical genius with actual harmony, melody and rhythm in 4/4 time then go and purchase the new Ace Frehley Anomaly cd. Sonic Boom: ** stars Anomaly **** stars
    serbocop666
    Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal??? wtf..review dude is a bit banged in the head..kiss has always been Pop Rock.
    thirteenburn
    Sorry for the previous gramatical errors, I should have done a better job of proofing my comments before posting. I meant to say (corrections in caps): "the fact that Tommy Thayer...Eric Singer...chosen to cop two EX-members makeup IS RIDICULOUS...this is AN UNACCEPTABLE blasphemy. Also: "IF they want to be in KISS...the make up OR I SUGGEST THEY come up with THEIR own gig.
    Rocker_94
    I bought the album, just out of curiosity of what it would sound like, and I was impressed. Every song is really good and has that classic Kiss sound. The Klassic Kiss CD that's packaged with it is pretty cool too. The songs sound like they have a new life to it, very fresh.
    Spineburger
    Alright, I like Kiss. Not a huge fan but I was raised around it. My dad is 45 and he has all the vinyl, collectibles etc. But, this album Is like 80s KISS. I won't criticize people for liking it. I just criticize people for saying it sounds like 70s classic KISS. It sounds like Crazy Crazy Nights or Animalize. It lacks the soul of 70s Kiss and I think Tommy Thayer is talented and spot on Ace's sound. But That to me is a fault. Ace was sloppy but thats what made him great. He played with so much feeling and Tommy is like a robot with his guitar work. Eric is great though. And I totally dig his version of Black Diamond. He really does sound like Peter Criss. Ok theres my 2 pennies. Sonic Boom 2/10
    Kapalen
    bob6.1 wrote: Also, "to me, ALL CD's should be priced between $8 and $10"? How can you possibly expect any musicians to make any money whatsoever? Lets say the world was magically changed to how you like it (meaning new make up for Eric and Tommy, as well as $8 cds). NOTE: The following is all based on estimates. Let's take this album for example. Take an estimate of about $3-4 for production, as well as a potential 20% cut of sales from Walmart and management. That would leave 10% of sales going to the band. Now let's say the album sells, oh I don't know, 500,000-1,000,000 copies? Total, that's between $400,000 and $800,000 between the four members for what, a year or two of work? It looks like a lot of money. Granted, in this case it's KISS and they have ridiculous amounts of money to begin with, but now compare it to any relatively unknown band. Their album costs the same, with the same percentages and everything, but it only sells 50,000. That's $10,000 each. You're right, cds should be $8. Ok, maybe it might lure a few of the internet lurkers out of their shaded up rooms to buy some music for once, but come on. Now that the technology is available, people will inherintly *steal* music. You download 300 albums for nothing, or you buy them for your $8 for $2400. I occasionally download, but if it is something I like enough, I always go out and buy it. Anyway, that's my little rant for today. Will have a listen to the album soon; sorry for getting a bit off topic, but things like this annoy me. 10% is what a popular band makes, most bands don't make even that much. The real money comes from touring. I'm not saying don't buy an artist's cds, they did work for it, but don't try to use that as an argument. If you were a REAL KISS fan you would like the music regardless of who is in the band. Speaking of which... calling Eric an "imposter" is ludacris. He has been in the band for 10 years & MOST fans would agree that he is better than peter anyways. Speaking of Ace... he is sloppy as all hell live. Tommy... not so much. I do agree that they should have there own makeup, but it really isn't there choice now is it? So stop being such a whine ass & enjoy the music... or even better DON'T, because if you are more concerned about the makeup than what the music sounds like... we don't want you in the KISS Army. A REAL FAN holds an artist accountable for a certain level of quality in their music. If I like an artist and they put out crap I fully intend to speak my mind about it and complain if I feel the need to. There's nothing wrong with expecting quality output. Personally, I've given these guys repeated listens. They never have really impressed me. They're an overrated band just like the Beatles, Metallica, and Nirvana.
    Don't give me that line about more money in touring. It's a blanket statement when in reality it depends on the band in question. Some make more off albums some make more from touring some even make most of their money through licensing.
    warmachine169
    Awesome album. Bought it yesterday I really enjoyed Singer's track and Tommy sounds kinda like Ace when he starts singing...in my opinion...lol \,,/
    dyllan93
    Can't wait to buy this album. just trying to save up the money and then i'm rusing to walmart
    gpnorseman50
    I saw them in concert at cobo hall in detroit, and they are right to say that paul stanley's voice hasn't changed. He sounded awesome. As for the record I've only heard "Modern Day Delilah" and I think it sounds a lot like the classic Kiss
    justinb904
    JayPresto wrote: Saw them play the single on Letterman, sounded pretty decent
    yeah, i saw that, sounded pretty good they still rock pretty hard considering how old they are
    The^Unforgiven
    Roberttitus wrote: This album deserved AT LEAST an 8.... I don't know what is going through the reviewer's mind.
    Umm... pardon moi, but isn't the "Overall impression" rated at 8?
    TheFly_1990
    Love this album! i picked it up, just to see what it was like, and it's great, a whole lot more than a 7.3, I'd got for a 8.5 myself, it's a good album!