Reality Vs. The Optimist review by Kiss Kiss

• Released: Oct 9, 2006
Kiss Kiss: Reality Vs. The Optimist

I actually like the original interpretation of their sound. Kiss Kiss' music is both ugly and pretty music. The music is very strange to me, sometimes the music sounds more indie prog and other times, it sounds more along the lines avant garde experimental. Violins obviously hold a strong part of the music, and they really help make Kiss Kiss, well, Kiss Kiss. One of my favorite parts of the album is the end of Iris and Eye, when the tempo increases more and more with the violins raging on faster and faster making a truly miraculous finish to a great song. Of course, there are other excellent parts to the music, but I'll let you discover them. As far as the the story goes, I know it has something to do with satellites brainwashing people to turn into cats so they all kill eachother. There's a lot of mentions of vagabonds or hobos. Someone dies that's dear to the narrator, so yeah. Although the lyrics are great and often times humorous (oh let me grab hold of my mind/the images prove nonlinear time/one moment I'm me, the next I am Mrs. Audry Wyde!/please let me go/please let me deny! ), don't get the album for the lyrics, the music is something more to behold. Kiss Kiss did a great job of making consise, intricate songs. They managed to make the music soft and bouncy one second to rough and ugly the next. Get it.

The lyrics are well done, nothing extremely serious, but they still have meaning. KK likes talking about the media as far as I can tell and how they influence us to do things. "Show the machines how we all breath." But songs like Janet, Iris and Eye, and Sixth Sense, seem to talk more about losing someone. I really think it's a concept album considering all the re-used imagery. I like the lyrics a lot, I don't watch much television, and I can comply with them on how boxes with wires in them make people waste their lives away watching inanimate objects. Beleiving everything they see. Singing is great, reminds me of a mix of Thursday's Geoff Rickley, and Cursive's Time Kasher, just add a bit more punch to make the vox more explody and random.

I think it'd compare to Ugly Organ by Cursvie, some of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mr. Bungle, and maybe some Queen. Most impressive songs, all of them are great, 9 full songs on the album by the way, the rest are either noise or a continuation played backwards for about 10 seconds or so. I love the loud/quiet scheme and bombastic collage of pretty and ugly music. Time signatures! Tempo changes! If stolen? I'd get it again.