Funeral For Yesterday review by Kittie

• Released: Feb 20, 2007
Kittie: Funeral For Yesterday

I was really impressed listening to this new Kittie CD when I downloaded it from Itunes, they really changed their style up from their more frantic sound from when they first started to this more cleaned up version of kittie. But loyal fans don't fret none, the cat's claws have been trimmed not removed there is plenty on this album to love. The songs sound more contained, it has a more clean and clear sound and is more clearly "metal" and sort of gives off a girl metal band from the '80s vibe to it. The guitar playing sounds more professionaly done this time around.

A lot of the songs deal with the same sort of lyrical situations and have to deal with heart ache, getting over someone they loved, or depression in general and even songs about getting over all those things and moving on. The lead singer of Kittie's voice has taken leaps and bounds, and even though a lot of her singing is now in a clean vocals there are plenty of low growls and screaming for the hardcore fans of Kittie since their early days as teens. There's something here for everyone if it's hardcore fans of the girls since their early days or new to the band, there is plenty to love here.

This album is probobaly one of the most underrated albums of 2007 so far, there hasn't been a lot of press for the album save for a small article in a guitar magazine. The most impressive songs on the album for me are at least the single "Funeral For Yesteday" which has a bit of a pop-ish metal chorus that is sure to be a single for the radio, another favorite song of mine would have to be "Will To Live" from the synth intro to the lyrical chorus it's an overall wonderfull song and in my opinion probobly the best song on the entire album. I love this album for it's daring and the new sound it has, I hate it because it does seem to get redundent after awhile and the songs seem to all sound way too similer.

lifer0727
    I have been a fan from the begining, but I think they finally got the formula right with this one. Mercedes and Morgan's vocals on The Change send chills down my spine everytime I hear it. It's an amazing album.
    tsb247
    This is an amazing album! I really like where they have gone. It's quite possibly my favorite one.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    From the moment I heard "Brackish", I knew there was a good band in there somewhere, and this CD finally proves it. It may have taken 3 or 4 albums of gliding by with mediocrity ("Until The End" 's title track being another promising sign, and perhaps "Paperdolls"), but after the founding members finally found a competent rhythm section, and the apparent chemistry (the few year long hiatus certainly didn't hurt), Kittie finally made an album with minimal filler, great production (they finally gave up the sludgy, fuzz of post-grunge alt-metal), improved vocals, riffs & lyrics. I may have dl'ed their stuff at one point, but this is the only cd I would buy from them. This is what hard work looks like; newer bands should take note and realize it may take more than one or two years to get everything going. I look forward to the next album.