In A Perfect World review by Kodaline

• Released: Jun 17, 2013
Kodaline: In A Perfect World

"In a Perfect World" marks the debut of an Irish 4-piece band called Kodaline. This is a band which can be compared to the likes of Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Elbow, Ben Howard and U2. This doesn't mean that they make the exact same music style, but they could easily open for any one of there artists to entertain the crowd. Vocalist Steve Garrigan has a very high voice for a male, and uses this to his advantage by switching to falsetto's every so often. This best heard on their song "High Hopes," where he does this between verses and the chorus.

The quality of the instruments and vocals are very good. The best example for this is "All I Want." The song starts off slow, but builds up towards the end, where you can hear beautiful drums in high quality. Wherea most drums lately sound overcompressed, the drums sound very good here.

The lyrics are very different which most of their songs. Some are cheesy love songs, as most of these kind of bands do, but some have different subjects, like the song "One Day." This is a feel good type of song which seems to give general advice to people that have some personal issues.

As well as the lyrics, the style of the songs tend to change somewhat. From the bright vigorous strumming of "Love Like This" to the elegiac intensity of "Pray" the band shows off broader capabilities. There's space for the dreamy pop of "Big Bad World" alongside the near-gospel intensity of "All Comes Down To." To me, even though love songs are mostly a bit cheesy, the top songs on this album are "High Hopes," "All I Want" and "Big Bad World."

In my opinion, this album is a must for every fan of bands that I mentioned earlier in the review. The debut is one of the better debut albums I've heard in a long time. I am very impressed with the way they handled it, and personally I can't wait to hear more of these guys. I've had the privilege to see them live at Lowlands last edition. They sounded very tight and very similar to the studio record, so these are actual good artists that know what they are doing.

netuti0
    I loved this album, one of my favorites. Thank you for reviewing this album! I think this album is close to perfect, a real must for every single person.