Follow the Leader review by Korn

• Released: Aug 17, 1998
Korn: Follow the Leader

This is a very good album. It really derives from the sound they mastered in Korn and Life is Peachy, it looses some of the heaviness, and gains a little experimentation. But none the less it is still a great album. It starts with 12 tracks of silence running at 5 seconds each. If you don't know this when you first play the album, it may cause some confusion. Here I will go through and rate each individual track. 13. It's On!: starts off the album, and does it great. This was a great choice as opener considering all the energy in the song. It starts with some industrial-like sounds which lead into a drum beat, then comes the intro "jump" riff. My personal favorite part would be the chorus. Its very melodic. 9/10 14. Freak On A Leash: arguably Korn's biggest song. It won Korn a grammy for "Best Short Form Music Video" in 2000. Its a great song. It goes through the basic "verse-chorus" structure, then after the second chorus Jonathan starts to beat-box. After this phase comes the best part (in my opinion) of the song, the heavy breakdown. 9/10 15. Got The Life: the first single off the album. It was the first ever video to be retired from MTV's top 20 countdown because it stayed at number 1 for so long. Over all, a great song. 9/10 16. Dead Bodies Everywhere: good song. Starts out with a creepy melody, then transfers to the heavy intro riff. The song structure itself is pretty basic. It does the "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" type thing. The outro features the same melody as the intro that transfers into the next song. 8/10 17. Children Of The Korn: this is a great song. It features Ice Cube, accompanying Jonathan Davis on vocals. I don't really know how to describe it. It has beats, rapping, heavy riffs, its a great Rap-Metal song. Definitely one of the best songs on the album. 9/10 18. B.B.K.: great song. It isn't that heavy, but features a very unique, indescribable riff. The bridge features some scatting, similar to "Twist" off Korn's 2nd album, Life is Peachy. 10/10 19. Pretty: pretty basic Korn song. It doesn't stand out that much, but besides that fact I can't help but think this is a good song. 8.5/10 20. All In The Family: this song features guest vocalist Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit. Fred and Jonathan go at it verse after verse, throwing down insults at each other, similar to a school yard battle between 2 kids. Its similar to "Children of the Korn", in the aspect that it features hip-hop beats and rapping fused Korn's signature sound. 8/10 21. Reclaim My Place: I can't find a way to describe the intro riff. Its very unique. This song definitely sticks out, at least in my opinion it does. There isn't a really great way to describe this song, just listen to it for yourself. Its a great song. 9.5/10 22. Justin: another great song. Thats what is so great about "Follow the Leader" it keeps producing great song after great song. This song was written as a tribute to a Korn fan named Justin who was dying. His last wish was to meet the members of Korn. 9/10 23. Seed: I don't really know what to say about this song. Its good, but it doesn't really stick out that much. 9/10 24. Cameltosis: featuring Tre Hardson from the Hip-Hop group "The Pharcyde". Out of the 3 Rap-Metal song on the album, "Children of the Korn", "All in the Family" and this song, and put this song 2nd, with "Children of the Korn" in 1st and "All in the Family" the worst of the 3. This is a good song I would recommend taking a listen. 9/10 25. My Gift To You: this is a great song. The intro features Jonathan Davis on bagpipes, which leads into a heavy riff. This features Jonathan giving one of his best performances on the album. Its a very dark song. In my opinion it would fit in better on Korn's self-titled debut album. This is one of the best songs on the album. 9.5/10 HIDDEN TRACK: Earache My Eye: after about 5 or 6 minutes of silence after "My Gift To You" Korn begins to perform the Cheech and Chong hit "Earache my Eye" featuring Cheech Marin as a guest vocalist. Its a pretty funny song. I'd say its one of the weakest, if not the weakest song on the album. But that just shows the quality of this album because this is a great song. 7.5/10

The lyrics are great. As always, Jonathan is singing about problems he has faced in his life, and they can really help you out if your going through tough times, because despite all that happened to Jon, look what he became. The lyrics are generally dark and angry, so I would say the lyrics fit in great with the music. Jonathan made a great performance on this album, as he always does. He sings, screams, raps, beat-boxes, scats, I could go on. The performance he does on this album is one of the best studio performances I've ever heard, plus, he can back it up live, unlike some people in the business.

This is a great album. It was featured in the book "1,001 albums you must hear before you die" and I totally agree. If you haven't heard this album, or you have only heard the hits (Freak on a Leash and Got the Life) I would recommend you take a listen. The thing I love about "Follow The Leader" and Korn, in general, is there isn't anything like it. If my copy of "Follow The Leader" was stolen, I would definitely buy another copy.