Follow The Leader Review

artist: Korn date: 05/17/2010 category: compact discs
Korn: Follow The Leader
Released: Aug 18, 1998
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Angry, Bleak, Visceral, Detached, Wintry, Gloomy, Paranoid, Ominous, Menacing, Intense, Harsh
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.1
 8.9
 1,957
Follow The Leader Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2003

Sound: This album is one of the best from Korn. This album has hits on it like freak on a leash and got the life but and many other enjoyable songs. The sound if at times really heavy and at other times very smooth with almost R&B style beats and really distroted crunchy guitar riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Lead singer Jonathan Davis really pulls out some hardcore lyrics on this one. There is a mixture of screaming, singing and in the albums rap metal traks children of the korn and all in the family there is a mixture of raping and screaming. The lyrics mostly float around Jonathan Davis's bad childhood and abusive father but in one trak Justin it is about a teronaly ill kid that the band spent a weak with. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album by Korn and you can see why with multi platnim sales and guest aperances by Fred durst of Limp Bizkit and big name raper Ice cube. The most impressive songs were It's on, Got the life and Justin and if it were stolen off me I would defenatly go out and buy a new one. So go out and buy it now! and tell all your friends to buy it too and if you have no friends the tell everyone in the street to buy it. // 10

Follow The Leader Reviewed by: kcxx, on december 29, 2003

Sound: The hardcore style of Head and Munky's guitars gives this album the true Korn signature. With deep, gutwrenching riffs on songs like "Dead Bodies Everywhere" and "My Gift To You", they have redefined true death metal to what it truly is. Absolutely Excellent!! // 10

Lyrics: Jon Davis has always been an astounding singer, and his lyrics have won him recognition by thousands of crazed fans. With such impressive songs as "Got the Life" and "Seed", he takes his skill to a whole new level. Not to mention the guest appearances by such talented artists as Fred Durst and Ice Cube. Mixed with the low end riffs of James and Brian, this CD takes the whole fucking cake! // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression was that it is only comparable to their first album, "KoRn", and "Issues". I love this album because of the creation of "Freak on a Leash", "Got the Life", "Seed", and "My Gift to You". Some of the best songs that have ever tickled my eardrums are on this CD. If it were ever stolen from me,(because I would NEVER be so stupid as to lose it!) I would definitely buy another one. All the real Korn fans have this one already, so to all who don't: BUY IT NOW! // 10

Follow The Leader Reviewed by: KoRnHead, on march 03, 2006

Sound: Many people feel this album is the last of 'good Korn' music to be published. They used some new effects and changed their style a little more than I would like. They also showed they can do more than just make heavy songs. I would consider this one of the great albums they have put out. // 10

Lyrics: They have realy improved vocaly and istrumentaly on this album. The band wrote some of their most true to life, heaviest, and darkest music yet. One song that almost every KoRn fan knows is "Freak On A Leash." It has the strangest effect for the intro and verse and many people can relate to it. This also has the closest 'guitar to lyrics' style they have ever done. John has made great progress on his singing from his days on his debut. He mixed soft with heavy and dark with light. The biggest stray from tradition are the rapper gest like in "Children Of The Korn" and "Cameltosis." The only guest singer I like was Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit in "All In The Family" in wich him and John fought back and fourth throughout the whole song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album compares to all their pre-2000 albums. I feel all the songs on this album were impressive and if you wait long enough after "My Gift To You" you can here the "Earache My Eye" which has Chich and Chong in it. The only thing I hated was the guest rappers other than that I loved everything else about this album. If this album was lost or stole I would buy it again and as well buy it for all my friends. // 10

Follow The Leader Reviewed by: munkyrage25, on february 11, 2008

Sound: This album has a lot of hardcore sound. This album is one of their heavier one's and it has a little remix (rap) which is ok to an extent. Jonathan Davis the lead singer uses a style of singing that he only seems capable of successfully using, it's like improvised metal ska screaming. He has done this in many of their albums but usually only one or two songs. In this album he uses it to describe anger. // 10

Lyrics: The overall lyrics are anger passion captivity. The lyrics make the music in this album. They lyrics are deep and the music has a way of describing more to the lead singers feelings. The singer as I have already said uses metal ska style and he is a very talented singer. In this album he uses deep sceeams to a sort of a yell wisper, also to fade outs and regular talking but it goes along with the songs perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot be comparted because all Korn albums are different than any other bands. Thsy just have this sound that no one can copy. The singing is just perfect and it describes feelings in a way that you just want ot break something. The most impressive songs from the album would be "Freak on a Leash", "Got The Life", "Dead Bodies Everywhere", "B.B.K.". I love this whole album. I hate nothing about it except that I dislike therap in some of their songs. If this album got lost or stolen I would buy another one. // 10

Follow The Leader Reviewed by: IbanezKorn, on may 17, 2010

Sound: This is a very good album. It really derives from the sound they mastered in Korn and Life is Peachy, it looses some of the heaviness, and gains a little experimentation. But none the less it is still a great album. It starts with 12 tracks of silence running at 5 seconds each. If you don't know this when you first play the album, it may cause some confusion. Here I will go through and rate each individual track. 13. It's On!: starts off the album, and does it great. This was a great choice as opener considering all the energy in the song. It starts with some industrial-like sounds which lead into a drum beat, then comes the intro "jump" riff. My personal favorite part would be the chorus. Its very melodic. 9/10 14. Freak On A Leash: arguably Korn's biggest song. It won Korn a grammy for "Best Short Form Music Video" in 2000. Its a great song. It goes through the basic "verse-chorus" structure, then after the second chorus Jonathan starts to beat-box. After this phase comes the best part (in my opinion) of the song, the heavy breakdown. 9/10 15. Got The Life: the first single off the album. It was the first ever video to be retired from MTV's top 20 countdown because it stayed at number 1 for so long. Over all, a great song. 9/10 16. Dead Bodies Everywhere: good song. Starts out with a creepy melody, then transfers to the heavy intro riff. The song structure itself is pretty basic. It does the "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" type thing. The outro features the same melody as the intro that transfers into the next song. 8/10 17. Children Of The Korn: this is a great song. It features Ice Cube, accompanying Jonathan Davis on vocals. I don't really know how to describe it. It has beats, rapping, heavy riffs, its a great Rap-Metal song. Definitely one of the best songs on the album. 9/10 18. B.B.K.: great song. It isn't that heavy, but features a very unique, indescribable riff. The bridge features some scatting, similar to "Twist" off Korn's 2nd album, Life is Peachy. 10/10 19. Pretty: pretty basic Korn song. It doesn't stand out that much, but besides that fact I can't help but think this is a good song. 8.5/10 20. All In The Family: this song features guest vocalist Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit. Fred and Jonathan go at it verse after verse, throwing down insults at each other, similar to a school yard battle between 2 kids. Its similar to "Children of the Korn", in the aspect that it features hip-hop beats and rapping fused Korn's signature sound. 8/10 21. Reclaim My Place: I can't find a way to describe the intro riff. Its very unique. This song definitely sticks out, at least in my opinion it does. There isn't a really great way to describe this song, just listen to it for yourself. Its a great song. 9.5/10 22. Justin: another great song. Thats what is so great about "Follow the Leader" it keeps producing great song after great song. This song was written as a tribute to a Korn fan named Justin who was dying. His last wish was to meet the members of Korn. 9/10 23. Seed: I don't really know what to say about this song. Its good, but it doesn't really stick out that much. 9/10 24. Cameltosis: featuring Tre Hardson from the Hip-Hop group "The Pharcyde". Out of the 3 Rap-Metal song on the album, "Children of the Korn", "All in the Family" and this song, and put this song 2nd, with "Children of the Korn" in 1st and "All in the Family" the worst of the 3. This is a good song I would recommend taking a listen. 9/10 25. My Gift To You: this is a great song. The intro features Jonathan Davis on bagpipes, which leads into a heavy riff. This features Jonathan giving one of his best performances on the album. Its a very dark song. In my opinion it would fit in better on Korn's self-titled debut album. This is one of the best songs on the album. 9.5/10 HIDDEN TRACK: Earache My Eye: after about 5 or 6 minutes of silence after "My Gift To You" Korn begins to perform the Cheech and Chong hit "Earache my Eye" featuring Cheech Marin as a guest vocalist. Its a pretty funny song. I'd say its one of the weakest, if not the weakest song on the album. But that just shows the quality of this album because this is a great song. 7.5/10 // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. As always, Jonathan is singing about problems he has faced in his life, and they can really help you out if your going through tough times, because despite all that happened to Jon, look what he became. The lyrics are generally dark and angry, so I would say the lyrics fit in great with the music. Jonathan made a great performance on this album, as he always does. He sings, screams, raps, beat-boxes, scats, I could go on. The performance he does on this album is one of the best studio performances I've ever heard, plus, he can back it up live, unlike some people in the business. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great album. It was featured in the book "1,001 albums you must hear before you die" and I totally agree. If you haven't heard this album, or you have only heard the hits (Freak on a Leash and Got the Life) I would recommend you take a listen. The thing I love about "Follow The Leader" and Korn, in general, is there isn't anything like it. If my copy of "Follow The Leader" was stolen, I would definitely buy another copy. // 10

Follow The Leader Reviewed by: Crux, on january 08, 2004

Sound: The CD's first 12 tracks are feature 5 seconds of complete silence. Why they did this... I dont know, but it sure does suck. I lost a little respect for KoRn after hearing this CD. It features two tracks with rappers in them. When I buy KoRn, I want to hear heavy metal, not rap. IMO the only good songs on this CD were Got The Life and Freak On A Leash. // 4

Lyrics: I apologise, I haven't spent enough time analyzing the lyrics to give much detail on the matter. I'll give a 3/5 for fairness. // 6

Overall Impression: I really didn't like the CD. My biggest issues is that I can't stick the CD in my CD player and listen to it from beginning to end. I have to skip several songs. I have to skip the 12 silent tracks in the beginning and I have to skip through the rapping tracks. If you want good KoRn, I suggest their newest CD, "Take A Look In The Mirror". // 4

Comments