Live And Rare review by Korn

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 9, 2006
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 7.8 (51 votes)
Korn: Live And Rare
3

Sound — 10
This is 13 tracks of pure Korn. Any Korn fan would love this. It is them playing live and rare tracks (hence the name). It is heavier than their real CDs so I like it better for this. Tracks #1-7 are live at CBGB's; track #8 is live at project revolution; track #9 is from Universal Studios; tracks #10 & 11 live at Woodstock; track #12 is a hidden track from "Follow The Leader"; track #13 is from "I Know What You Did Last Summer." If anyone has the Greatest Hits Vol. 1 CD, and have the DVD that came with it you can watch it live, but this is a portable way to hear that incredible concert at CBGB's. It is also from before Head found God or Jesus or whatever he found so it is guaranteed to be good. It's heavier than normal but probably because it is live and that is good. I give it a 10 because it is heavier than normal, and Korn sounds better live than they do recorded, that's not true with most bands, and the whole band does good live.

Lyrics — 10
Its Jon Davis singing live what more can you ask for other than being there watching him sing. It's nothing new lyric-wise (but remember it's live) except for the rare tracks they might be new to some people. The Hidden Track "Earache My Eye" is a good laugh. And Proud is a good Korn song this is the first time I have heard it. I give this a 10 because it's Jon Davis singing live and let me tell you he is a great live singer this is why I give Lyrics a 10.

Overall Impression — 10
Korn's first-ever collection of live and rare tracks! I think it is a great CD and I recommend it to any body that is a Korn fan. What more can I say it is a great CD by Korn. Buying this cd was one of the best 10 bucks I ever spent; I would have paid $20 for it if I had to it is a superior live CD. Their could be little to no improvements to this CD. Sound and lyrics are perfect.

51 comments sorted by best / new / date

    jocke.friso
    I would just like to make you aware of that the concert from CBGB's is NOT completly live. They have "fixed" it in the studio afterwards. Put on more vocals even extra guitars. That's why it sounds so good and heavy. If you listen to it carfully you will notice extra guitars and vocals. I think it's pathetic to du souch a thing. Are they imaresed for there live performens or what!?!?
    69.so.fine
    They didn't edit it in the studio. =/ Are you deaf, or are you that set on trying to diss a band that you obviously don't like?
    DrunkenPyro
    ok, jsut more power to them, i just hope they change their mind. oh, and to that dumbass that said a tru fan would not dis the band, your retarded. only through criticizm can anyone really see their faults and improve upon them. so stfu, you don't know what your talking about, you n00b.
    Um...?
    I love KoRn, there amazing, even though i havent been a fan for long.. like Spade_SanosukeX said, if you dont like KoRn, leave and dont look like a freaking dumbass.
    Lost_in_Society
    korn is awesome.just leave it at that and comment on the review.not grammar or someone else's comment. korn rules
    cartmanmouth69
    Davis USED to be angry what with the self-titled and peachy. Hell at least in take-a-look he was still angry jon. But the new album, most of you have to admit that when the twisted transistor Sh** came out, we all decided to give it a chance, did, and found that the rant on "Liar" was the highpoint and pointed out that he only dropped the f bomb once in the entire cd. Head is gone and Munky took on the whole role of making the riffs. It doesn't sound like KoRn that we used to know but at least the man is trying, even if it is being tampered and remixed in a studio with the pop-artist producers/occultists/nazis of the music industry. Long live KoRn, but lets get real. We are all hoping for another Follow the Leader....*fingers crossed.
    mmanson
    StratEnRegalia wrote: Anyone who thinks that Korn has the best male singer...uh...Ian Gillian, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickenson, Rob Halford...etc. Not even close, man.
    i hate the vocals of bruce dickenson and rob halfor - robert plant and freddie mercury r cool- in metal its not about how well u sing its about performing and entertaining this isnt american idol - jon davis is one of my favorite singers
    DrunkenPyro
    imma bout ta settle dis junk 4 all j00 pplz. KoRn = incredibly badass. BUT! this twisted transistor stuff is not really their best thing ever. same with take a look in the mirror. there was alot of good stuff on it, but not everything. EVERY band goes through a period like this, where the original fans either leave the band behind, or follow it with new zeal. personally, i hope its a temporary thing, cuz look what happened with metallica. i'm still waiting for a 'hey, all this stuff after black album was just a joke... GOTCHA! Now heres a sequel to master of puppets!' from them. if KoRn wants to change, tho, then more f|_|c|
    JVDumarC
    Korn was Korn until Issue... after it they decay... they suck, they r just rusted...
    I_Psychotic
    ok ok, everyone has an opinion on the situation, but the fact is, you could pretty much make that cd yourself, if you had the bonus DVD of them at CBGB's, "Take a Look In The Mirror", "Follow The Leader", and "I Know What You Did Last Summer". You pretty much just pay for the cover.
    wik3dspid3r
    For some reason people cant stand it when the favorite artist grows musically and has new experince and wisdom to share with the world. So they bite korn even though they are a great band and dont pull off a godsmack and release the same cd 4 times with different lyrics. lol People grow up
    Beyond_Insanity
    To Fritodip: A: You appearntly don't play guitar or you suck at it. Because you don't truly play guitar unless you experiment with the tunings!!! B: Plenty of older artists used alternate tunings: Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Pink Floyd, Rush etc. etc. etc. C: Just because it's "nu metal" does not in any way, shape, or form, make it suck.So... stop being a stereotypical prick.
    NateG
    snyper420 wrote: All you pple out there call your selfs fans of korn?it sure as hell dont sound like it, a real korn fan would not diss them, or put them down. by the way i have gone to 5 korn concerts from back in the day - to now, and they have always had 2 guitarists. after Head left to be all spiritual or wat ever, they found a new guy to replace him. They do not suck! Juicy(J) what do you have to back up your comment????? korn is older now, and writing a different style of metal, still the same old KoRn just a little different. So having said that, you either like KoRn for what they are and were, or you just dont like them. so for all you real korn fans out there stick up your devils horns to show that you love this band!!!!!
    Real fans are not required to love everything about the band. They are allowed free will and if they do not like that particular song or sound then they do not like it. They cannot change their opinions just because it's their favourite band. KoRn are my most favourite band ever of all time, however the live tracks on this album are not spectacular as KoRn are not amazing live. They are good, but not amazing. Also people can like the "old sound" of KoRn and hate the "new sound," they don't have to like it all just because it's KoRn. Get some will power and free will.
    Nirvana00125
    jocke.friso wrote: I would just like to make you aware of that the concert from CBGB's is NOT completly live. They have "fixed" it in the studio afterwards. Put on more vocals even extra guitars. That's why it sounds so good and heavy. If you listen to it carfully you will notice extra guitars and vocals. I think it's pathetic to du souch a thing. Are they imaresed for there live performens or what!?!?
    I don't think they edited it. They do use looping stations for a few songs on Issues and Untouchables. They probably use them live as well(looping pedal). And ALOT of bands edit live albums in the studio. Korn isn't the only one to do it.
    Nirvana00125
    Juicy(J) wrote: Korn has suked ever since after follow the leader
    That's a contradiction because Issues was closer to their original sound than FTL was. I mean all that rap shit was okay, but it got annoying. And Issues is amazing. Untouchables I hate, TALITM is okay but the bass is way too loud, and everything after that I don't like(it's not bad, i just don't like it.
    fritodip wrote: korn sucks hardcore and so does every other nu metal band out there. quit acting depressed and put your damn guitars in standard tuning
    I wonder if you realize that nu metal is like grunge or alt rock: The genre has some elements that make it "nu metal" but for the most part most nu metal bands are completely different(with the exception of POD, limp biskit, and linkin park) so to put them together like that is stupid. And almost every band ever uses alternative tunings at one point in their career. Just because Korn prefers it does not make them lack skill. It just means they like playing in A standard. Bid deal, get over it.
    gusash
    NateG wrote: snyper420 wrote: All you pple out there call your selfs fans of korn?it sure as hell dont sound like it, a real korn fan would not diss them, or put them down. by the way i have gone to 5 korn concerts from back in the day - to now, and they have always had 2 guitarists. after Head left to be all spiritual or wat ever, they found a new guy to replace him. They do not suck! Juicy(J) what do you have to back up your comment????? korn is older now, and writing a different style of metal, still the same old KoRn just a little different. So having said that, you either like KoRn for what they are and were, or you just dont like them. so for all you real korn fans out there stick up your devils horns to show that you love this band!!!!! Real fans are not required to love everything about the band. They are allowed free will and if they do not like that particular song or sound then they do not like it. They cannot change their opinions just because it's their favourite band. KoRn are my most favourite band ever of all time, however the live tracks on this album are not spectacular as KoRn are not amazing live. They are good, but not amazing. Also people can like the "old sound" of KoRn and hate the "new sound," they don't have to like it all just because it's KoRn. Get some will power and free will.
    exactly, people have the right to their opinion
    fritodip
    korn sucks hardcore and so does every other nu metal band out there. quit acting depressed and put your damn guitars in standard tuning
    silent caution
    live shows is one thing korn always done well, even if they change some of the music sound with new albums the live shows are always great.
    highwind
    hehe, noway that korn fixed the CBGB'S in stuido i have the damn dvd m8, i tell you, studio , hell no bullshit extra guitars , DUH they have 2 guitarists, also head sings. i love korn, they are my nr 1 reason i play guitar, heavy riffs and the best male singer ever, i even saw em live 03 here in stockholm, never seen a better show m8, korn, rock on guys
    wickedjordan
    yeah, this was in the time they still had two guitarists, they're not that great live anymore with just one. in december i saw them and was let down greatly to say the least
    nato138
    taptaptaparoo can't do proper grammar. how about you learn to "spelled" first before dissing someone. oh korn live cd and rare stuff eh, alright i guess, i liked the acoustic thing they did for AoL. and to the first person, how did you think of spelling embarassed like that? there wasn't even a "b" in it man. lol
    Noremorse96
    Hey look doesent that cover look fimular (look on the inside cover of slayer devine intervention) only diffrence the dude in slayer has it carved in his arms not tatooed. AS always slayer goes on the sick road, self mutalation.
    smb
    wickedjordan wrote: yeah, this was in the time they still had two guitarists, they're not that great live anymore with just one. in december i saw them and was let down greatly to say the least
    They play with two guitarists live, don't they? And most live albums are fixed up in the studio and have extra guitar tracks laid over them. Guns 'n Roses actually recorded a fake llive album in the studio, with fake audience noise. I don't buy live albums with corrections or editing - what's the point?
    Twiggy09
    Wow...I just felt like posting a comment. I'm bored out of my ****ing mind at school...by the way...Korn's not all that bad. I actually listen to them quite a lot.
    cgibin
    cgibin wrote: StratEnRegalia wrote: Anyone who thinks that Korn has the best male singer...uh...Ian Gillian, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickenson, Rob Halford...etc. Not even close, man. ...David Gilmour? Sure, Davis has his shining points on certain tracks, but it's completely wrong to say he's the best. No doubt to your opinions, but comparing him to such greats isn't right either. But I understand what you're saying...
    jayant412
    colelamb_611 wrote: i hate korn
    You dont like music then! Korn are one the best bands around. And they got a lot of stuff left in them, 1 or 2 guitarists!.
    snyper420
    All you pple out there call your selfs fans of korn?it sure as hell dont sound like it, a real korn fan would not diss them, or put them down. by the way i have gone to 5 korn concerts from back in the day - to now, and they have always had 2 guitarists. after Head left to be all spiritual or wat ever, they found a new guy to replace him. They do not suck! Juicy(J) what do you have to back up your comment????? korn is older now, and writing a different style of metal, still the same old KoRn just a little different. So having said that, you either like KoRn for what they are and were, or you just dont like them. so for all you real korn fans out there stick up your devils horns to show that you love this band!!!!!
    KoRnFr33K7
    KORN IS crappy ever since untouchables. THey have lost their heavy side. Everything is all the same now. Structure, riffs, vocals, sound, timing, EVERYTHING is bad. they are CRAPPY!@$@#
    MusicDragon666
    first off why the fuk is your name kornfr33k7? change it if you don't like them anymore dumbas. and i agree with everything that snyper420 said and a big F-U to anyone who says otherwise
    buried_a_lie
    nato138 wrote: taptaptaparoo can't do proper grammar. how about you learn to "spelled" first before dissing someone.
    lol you are funny, "cant do proper grammer" lol if i say so that isnt proper either, it should be doesnt use proper grammer anyway this cd kicks a** Korn is effen awesome
    cgibin
    You guys are all ****ing morons. Everytime I come in here and read a review, there's always a swarm of imbeciles who continue to bag on people for their grammar. This is a ****ing world-wide website - people who have English as their second language also use this site too. So don't be an ignorant **** about someone's grammar. Use the comment/forum to post shit that is important (and sticks to the topic, for that matter). You're all a bunch of ****ing children; grow up.
    StratEnRegalia
    Anyone who thinks that Korn has the best male singer...uh...Ian Gillian, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickenson, Rob Halford...etc. Not even close, man.
    cgibin
    StratEnRegalia wrote: Anyone who thinks that Korn has the best male singer...uh...Ian Gillian, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickenson, Rob Halford...etc. Not even close, man.
    ...David Gilmour? Sure, Davis has his shining points on certain tracks, but it's completely wrong to say he's the best. No doubt to your opinions, but comparing him to such greats isn't right either. But I understand what you're saying...
    buried_a_lie
    cgibin wrote: You guys are all ****ing morons. Everytime I come in here and read a review, there's always a swarm of imbeciles who continue to bag on people for their grammar. This is a ****ing world-wide website - people who have English as their second language also use this site too. So don't be an ignorant **** about someone's grammar. Use the comment/forum to post shit that is important (and sticks to the topic, for that matter). You're all a bunch of ****ing children; grow up.
    calm down dude, i was just pointing out the irony in the guys statement, and you talk about staying on topic you didnt even mention one thing about Korn hrmm...