See You On The Other Side review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Korn: See You On The Other Side

Korn has been evovling from day one. While their has always been a signature sound (hard guitar/bass, rap-metal) the band manages to reinvent themselves with every new album. "See You On The Other Side" is no different than any other Korn album as it is the same as any of them. Personally, I though Korn had been moving forward as far as quality with every album- but "Take A Look In The Mirror" had been the most their most lacking and least satisfying in my opinion. "Untouchables" had a very distinct sound- with plenty of hard hitting tracks like "Here To Stay," "Thoughtless" and the stand-out in my opinion "One More Time." "Issues" was chock-full of old-style Korn with just a touch of the commericial Korn that was on "Follow The Leader." The self-titled debut album and "Life Is Peachy" were works from an unpolished band quickly developing into their own. So, with all the emphasis on Korn making a "St. Anger" album. I wouldn't go that far. True, they lost their gutairist and found new producers but after a quick listen, it was clear what band I was listening to.

I gave this album a quick spin at my computer while at work. The best way to enjoy an album and find out where it stands is playing it loud while driving. But, listening to it at low levels and only skimming, I found 75% of the album to have sure-shot songs that would receive plenty of play. "Souvenir" was probably my favorite. And while the style adjustment is evident, this is still Korn. This is a band that has put out 7 albums selling 25 million of them, and if you've seen them in concert you know how hard they rock. So, first impression is that it's going to be worth the $15 I paid for the CD.

There is no reason for a serious Korn fan, or a person with a luke-warm interest not to pick up this album. Even though the emphasis has been on the experimenting with sound and loss of the gutairist, it's still the same band you've known and loved. There are plenty of rockin' tracks here. I don't know how I'd rate it (on a 1-10 scale) and I'm not saying that the album needs to grow on me, but over time you really start feeling or not feeling songs and that's when they become classics.