See You On The Other Side review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Korn: See You On The Other Side

Korn have definitley made a new sound, but there are stil some old Korn characteristics there. But the album kinda reminds me of the "Queen Of The Damned" soundtrack (which JD done by the way). It also reminds of "Follow The Leader" with loads of effects being used by Munky. I mean come on the first 2 albums "Korn" and "Life Is Peachy" don't have very much effects, if any, to them. I think when they really sold out when they came to "Follow The Leader" that's when they got the effects. But anyways, this album sounds alot like the "Queen Of The Damned" soudtrack. Munky really hasnt got his "edge" anymore. I think, and I know alot of other korn fans also, that when "Head" was around, Munky was able to calabirate with him more to come up with some excellent, errie, ominous, sickass riffs. The last albums he had head to come up with riffs as well as himself. But now that he hasnt head around, he can't do that no more. As for Jon's singing, I think he should actually sing a little more. I mean listen to "Last Legal Drug," that's a very R'n'B and rap influenced song. He should have a bit more screaming also. Oh and by the way they should still let Feildy do his slapping, and I think that David's drumming has increased by like ten-fold! He should drum like that more often. "Eaten Up Inside" shows Jon's vast vocal range, good singing but do us a favour Jon, leave out the rapping and hip hop shit! Rap and metal don't mix anymore! Although the vid for "Twisited Transitor" kiled me LMAO.

I think Jon's lyrics skill need to be looked at more in detail. He hasn't got that balls or sheer hatred anymore. I don't feel like as though he was motivated enough to be writing songs about politics and organised religion. I prefer the way he was in Korn the self titled album and life is peachy. He was more deep then. His personality was much more focused on his lyrics. Now it's all about sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll and money! I personally don't know the guy myself, but you can hear it in his lyrics, the guy has changed alot since 1993. Even in take a look in the mirror. I thought his lyrics better than the songs in this album. I'm very disappointed with lyrics. I think that, there was alot of pressure on jon, I have to admit. The pressure being that everybody saying "It's time for you to grow up and start writing about something a bit more humane, something that matters more to the world." I don't think jon was ready for this yet, hopefully if they ever make a next album, and that this album doesnt break them up, that he'll be more focused. Also the sex thing is still there, which is a bad sign. Leads me to think that he aint got nothing else to write about, thats what I'm so pissed at.

I think that Korn have certainly went in "new" direction. With the industrial sound, and the singing and the lyrics. The drumming on the album is sick! Really good David keep up the good work. Munky I think can do alot better, but in saying that, his companion aint there nomore. Bring the funk back in and let Fieldy slap! I also thought that when Jon said there was gonna be an industrial charge to this, I thought they wouldve sounded like American Head Charge, which wouldn't have sounded bad. But it's very rap-metal, pop influenced. Jon being a fan of Duran Duran. All in all I don't think this album compares to any other albums. The best ones for me are "Korn" and "Life Is Peachy." Those were the days. If I lost or had it stolen probably wouldn't buy it again. But in saying all this there are alot of people who dig this album, so therefore it's probably my fault I don't appreciate this album.