See You On The Other Side review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2005
Korn: See You On The Other Side

Korn is one of my favourite bands, and this album certainly didn't disappoint. Indeed, it exceeded my wildest expectations. See, I'm an industrial fan, so See You On The Other Side suited me to a tee. The strength of the guitar lines has disappeared, true, but it's my opinion that Munky still pulls it off admirably. David Silveria shows off a fair bit, and Fieldy is a bit more subtle than usual. This album is just terrific. The Atticus Ross influence is very strong, especially in tracks like Love Song, and in the electronic tweaking that's never far away. The bagpipes return in full force, hallejuah, and so does the scatting. Indeed, there's one of the oddest noises I have ever heard a human being make on the end of Open Up, a string of gibbering that runs in and out of your ears, sounding like something that belongs in a horror movie.

Jonathan Davis' lyrics have certainly picked up, though they still suffer from the usual limitations. His singing has certainly improved though, check out Tearjerker for proof of that. He's actually sounding like a genuinely talented vocalist, as opposed to an appealingly unique one. He's even got a falsetto, for god's sakes. Politics is certainly something Korn have shied away from in the past, but the song by that name still oddly does the same. "Don't wanna talk about politics" Davis informs us, which sounds like a band defending it's politically apathetic lyrical stance in a world increasinly full of bands that perform from soapboxes, e.g. Green Day. There's a very real feeling of malice throughout the album, best seen in Seen It All. To sum it up, Davis has stopped whining about his life, and set about threatening that of others.

I'm torn between this and Untouchables as my favourite (something that'll make a lot of old-school Korn fans despise me, I am certain), but right now, this is winning out. Maybe the shine will wear off, who knows. Personal favourites are most of them, but some stand out. Coming Undone and Souvenir are the best of the majority, but Tearjerker to me is a wonder all on its own. It verges on being a ballad, and that's something Korn has/never/done. Indeed, it's almost acapella. Shocking. I love the experimentation on this album, and I love that so many Korn fans hate it. To me, that means the band is growing, and I'm more than happy to come along for the ride. It's nothing like anything they've done before, but I will say that just as on Issues and Untouchables, Korn is an old dog learning some very impressive new tricks.