See You On The Other Side review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2005
Korn: See You On The Other Side

I love Korn's sound on this album, it's dark, emotional and has loads of bass, and yet I find myself jumping around for most of the songs. That's a very good thing. This album is much more power chord based than they're previous albums (which were based on a guitar riff over a bass line), and I think that was a good desicion, and probably made because the former lead guitarist Head, left to become a missionary or something. Overall I love the sound of this album, it's the perfect mix of metal and funk.

The lyrics are very varied on this album, from what I can tell at least 2 of the songs are about sex or masturbation (10 or a 2-Way and Getting Off) and then there are most political one's like, Politics and Hypocrites. Then there are a few emotional songs, and a song about vandalism, For No One. Dispite the differences between the songs, the lyrics are always catchy and thoughtful.

01. Twisted Transistor - this song has a cool intro and the opening riff blows my mind every time. I also love the transposition in the bridge. A kick ass opener. 02. Politics - this song has a great riff and some angsty growling, and some cool lyrics, "Everybody's race/Lying to my face." 03. Hypocrites - a good riff and a catchy chorus in this song. 04. Souvenir - catchy tune, and a really cool bridge. 05. 10 Or A 2-Way - this is a song about sex, with a kind of techno sound. "Never meant to show up here anyway/Only f--king you till the season change." A very strange bagpipe/Darth Vader breakdown in there as well. 06. Throw Me Away - I love this song, it has a really good melody and a brilliant chorus. The screaming part at the end of the bridge is really great. 07. Love Song - another great song with really great lyrics "One sip of the blood that I found/Lying here, I'm dying here." 08. Open Up - this song is so varied it's unbelievable, first there's a really good song, with an amazing humming part in the bridge, then an acoustic section with a marimba in the backround, and then another strange bagpipe breakdown with some kick-ass sped up scrat. It doesn't get much better than this. 09. Coming Undone - a song that forces your body to jolt in time with the rhythm, and sing along with the CD. 10. Getting Off - about, eh, jacking off to a fantansy. This has some really cool growling in the verse and the bridge. 11. Liar - this song absolutely kicks ass in everyway - the bouncy bass line, the "oh my God" section, and the catchy chorus, and the growling (finally, a growling bridge), a straight up. 12. For No One - this is a cool song with some funny moments ("We're throwing bricks right through their windows/And then we drive away). A really funky, rappy Korn song with a great chorus. 13. Seen It All - a nice chorus in this one, but the section in the middle is amazing. It comes out of nowhere, and it really shows the emotional side of Jonathan Davis. And yet another bagpipe breakdown. 14. Tearjerker - completely different from the rest of the album, this is a beautiful song sung basically solo by Davis, really showing off his vocal and lyric-writing talents. "Even ghosts get tired and go home". When the band kicks in near the end you know you're hearing something special. Overall a brilliant album that should appeal to all metal fans. If I lost it I'd burn it again, since I have it on my PC. For the amount of mind-blowing moments this album delivers it is definately worth the J15.

(:NiCe!)
    I love this album. I don`t like people who say that an album is shit just because it`s something different.