Take a Look in the Mirror review by Korn

• Released: Nov 21, 2003
Korn: Take a Look in the Mirror

As we all are aware of that KoRn are a heavily Hip-Hop influence band, Take a look in the mirror I feel brings out the best of KoRn combining the original styles with the hip-hop we heard in "Follow the Leader". My impression into the sound of the album when I first put it on was wow!! KoRn have returned to their roots and gone for the grittier sound which was found on their self titled debut album "KoRn" as opposed to the more polished work seen on Untouchables and Issues. Munky and Head again pull off a brilliant one-two in playing guitar and Fieldy brings out the best of his bass whilst adding depth too the formidable precussion of Dave.

The feeling is still there, nothing lacks and not only is Jonathan Davis excorcising past demons but Munky has had as much to do with the writing of the lyrics as the writing of the music. Again the shattering voice of a child like Davis who is yet to grow up is chilling over the melodic and heavy riffs combined with crashing precussion. Overall Davis has the best voice of any Nu-Metal singer, KoRn may have been in the game for a decade but Jonathan is still the man!

Firstly KoRn is never to be taken lightly, their message is for all the people in life who wish to "Follow" each other. Kids who are lost and are angry. Not only that, guitarists such as myself can learn a great deal about the styles of Head and Munky. The most impressive songs on the album are overall, all of them, for me "Alive", "Did my time" and "Y'all Want a Single" stand out. This album should be top of the list for Guitarists and Nu-Metal and Metal fans but is an essential album to anyone who dares to state that they listen to KoRn because without this album you haven't heard all the styles and tones of KoRn. Lastly I would like to say that the added bonus of "one" is the best cover on earth. Head and Munky play brilliantly adjusting the the song to Nu-Metal and Jonathan Davis sings brilliantly on the track (I felt his voice is better than James of Mettalica!) The cover is a sheer masterpeice and is one of the highlights of the album!! Now you have read the review, go buy the F*****g CD!!