Take a Look in the Mirror review by Korn

• Released: Nov 21, 2003
Korn: Take a Look in the Mirror

Korn's greatest sounding album since the "Self-Titled." This time around, the band have reverted back to their old aggressive sound, yet with much more experience in the bag. Each instrument's sound is much sharper and heavier than their previous albums, making each song sound much more composed and structured. They've implemented the weird sounds that they had come to use on Life Is Peachy and Issues, but haven't one over the top, still remaining true to the heavy riffs and rythms they're known for. "Right Now," "Break Some Off," and "Alive" are excellent examples of the album's heaviness, as are "Everything I've Known" and "Here It Comes Again" good tracks that reach on the softer side. The band seemed to have grown considerably on this album, both skill-wise and production-wise, each track doing them justice.

Lyrics are especially emotional, but are not as sad or pessimistic as say "Issues" or "Self-Titled." The agressiveness of the music suits well with the lyrics - hard-edged songs with bold statements. It's refreshing to listen to some truly high-impact lyrics from Korn, though at times repeated lines do get annoying. The vocals on this album are up to scratch, on each and every track. Singer Jonathon Davis manages to push his boundaries on some songs, experimenting with different type of voices and effects.

If you are a fan of nu-metal or alternative metal, or want to try something original, this album is a great buy. I can safely say of the 12 tracks there are no fillers, which is great thing to see from Korn. What makes this CD great is it's diversity. Each song conveys different emotions, and tracks like "Counting On Me," "I'm Done," and "Did My Time" are especially powerful. Even though at times a few little quirks and oddity's throw some songs off-balance, it's a solid album produced by Korn, and if it got lost or stolen I would definately buy it again because it really portrays what Korn is like.