Take a Look in the Mirror review by Korn

• Released: Nov 21, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Korn: Take a Look in the Mirror

Why this album got a '9' rating is beyond me so I'm taking it down to a '4' because that's just about how much it's worth. They say they wanted to get back-to-the-basics and well I guess you say they tried but failed miserably. The bass clicks of Fieldy get obnoxious and way overtuned. This album is obvious that it was self-produced because frankily JD is a good musical composer but needs a little guidance when it comes to producing an entirety of a record. I know now that this korn has changed to something totally new and will never be the same Korn again, which is fine with me but they just don't evolve and give us a sound that is accepting to my ears and that doesnt do the band justice. It's almost like bad metal. They're trying to re-invent but not doing a good job up to this point.

Lyics have always been brilliant from Jonathon Davis, heart wrencthing and true to himself. He doesn't compare to anyone else in the industry which is what makes Korn so unique. JD's singing on this record is the best when he of course choosing to sing, and then other times wishes to blabber obnoxious attempting to be creative inconsistent vocals. I know he's just trying to be creative but he can still be but just atleast make the new creative vocals sound consistent and fit into the music. 'Untouchbles' was his first record where he began experimenting with the abnormal vocals (everyone knows what I'm talking about) but on that album it seemed to fit more into the realm of the theme. on this album, it just seems forced and inconsistent. Albums are supposed to flow, creative, but still sane. This one just seems too insanely just to me.

My overall impression of this album is 'rock bottom'. The band is trying to grow the new seed they planted with 'Untouchables' and have just done a horrible job. Creativity and evolution encourages change which I myself support, but the ways in which Korn have evolved on this record is just 'messy'. I think the problem was self-production. The bass is too strong and the intruments just don't mesh together like on previous albums. I don't think this is their heaviest album, it just seems heavy because of Fieldy's loud obnoxious bass, it takes over from the rest of the music. I know those bass clicks is what Korn sounding is but it just doesn't work in this album. This album is my least favorite and thank god they reinvented for the better on 'See You On The Other Side'. I guess you have to hit rock bottom before you can figure out who you really are. Which Korn does after this album (failure-true Korn to them and what they wanted to portray, but musically a disgrace) and re-tuning themselves to rekinder some of the old chemistry and flow (which is important) on See You On The Other Side).