The Path Of Totality review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Korn: The Path Of Totality

It's been hard to pinpoint Korn's sound, particularly since every Nu-Metal band has been trying to throw the Nu-metal monkey of its back since the term was first used to refer to anything. I don't want to become embroiled in genre battles, so to comment on what's been put in front of me, "The Path Of Totality" isn't as instantly deplorable as I first imagined.

The opening song, "Chaos Lives In Everything", is just there. Musically, it fails to register with any real impact. If it's some kind of subsistent attempt at cool electronic music, I'd rather listen to Daft Punk, but at least it's not embarrassing. "Kill Mercy" shows Korn is quite serious about the sound of this album: it features a delightfully string-bending guitar intro, and the electronic music does well. The problem for this song, like much of the album is that it's not played with any real intensity. I don't want to imagine the slumber that would surely abound at a live launch of this album.

I'd hoped to avoid cheap shots about cures for insomnia, so it's a positive that Korn momentarily digresses from the sleep-inducing route previously discussed, with a delightful track, "Narcissistic Cannibal". That's not to say that the lyrics are profound, but think of the music as a less formulaic, more electronic Disturbed. This is a true highlight of the album, and I'm inclined to say that it would feature on a Korn playlist. Its chorus is sonically interesting, soothing yet intense. This is a good song. It's just a pity that Korn expends ten other songs in trying to pull off the same track.

"Sanctuary" is a disaster - let's not discuss it while "Let's Go" is, I hope, a declarative sentence. If the scientists at CERN are to find anything in their particle accelerator to explain the Universe's origins, any clues will surely come before Korn offers a legitimate reason for this song.

You're not looking for anything profound here, are you? Not from me; not from Korn.

At least it's not another Disturbed album. The music isn't bad. The songs aren't bad. It's just so mundane. It's as if the band is playing in the unused water closet next door.