The Path of Totality review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2011
Korn: The Path of Totality

Ever since Korn's debut album was released, they have always (for the most part) been able to conjure up something new and refreshing on each album. Despite a couple of mishaps (Untitled and Untouchables), Korn have always made something that is both lyrically brilliant AND appealing to headbang to, which can't be said for most metal acts within the past 10 or 15 years. After hearing, Get Up! the first single off of The Path Of Totality I was definitely intrigued to see what else they could come up with but at the same time I doubted that they could possibly make a full length album composed of dubstep infused Nu-Metal, while at the same time keeping the listener intent throughout the whole album. Fortunately, I stand corrected. From the very first dubstep breakdown 10 seconds into Chaos Lives In Everything, to the sound of the bagpipes leading into the final chorus in Bleeding Out, Korn brought me to a place in which I had never visited before. A place where all the little Skrillex fans run and play hand in hand with all the little metalheads. Where they all join together after a hard days work of mixing and headbanging, and follow the path of totality all the way back home. In non-metaphorical terms, The Path Of Totality is an album that is sure to start a new breed of music; which will be hated upon as much as it is adored. The production on The Path of Totality is pristine. It is neither overproduced nor under produced which are the two fears that I had before I heard it. The combination of the guitars and the electronics are perfectly balanced so that it doesn't seem as if either of the instruments is interfering with one another. Everything sounds crisp and refreshing and nothing seems overdone or frivolous. The entire album is completely different from anything the band has ever put out but at the same time you know it's Korn when you hear those entrancing choruses.

The lyrics on The Path Of Totality definitely aren't as deep or personal as past Jonathon Davis lyrics have been, but that's actually a good thing this time around. If it were as emotional and depressing as some of the songs were on their previous albums (Korn, Follow The Leader, Korn III: Remember Who You Are) than I think the lyrics would have just been out of place. The simpler and more to the point lyrics were definitely the way to go. Nevertheless, the lyrics relating to politics, corruption, and the evils of the human race are still present.

Overall The Path Of Totality is another solid album by Korn that will definitely be despised as much as it is praised. The production quality is fantastic, the electronics blend wonderfully with the guitars and bass, and of course the good old fashion Korn intensity is still present. In all honesty, you can hate on this album as much as you want because it's different, or it's not metal, or it's not a carbon copy of Korn or Life Is Peachy. But no matter what you say you can't deny that it's unique, it's bold, it's something the band enjoyed recording, and it screams I DON'T GIVE A F--K towards all the people who talk trash just for the sake of talking trash. ~Mistermetee