The Path of Totality review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2011
Korn: The Path of Totality

This album is obviously very different from Korn's usually nu-metal sound, which lead singer Johnathan Davis mentioned in interviews saying the band is venturing into dubstep. "The Path Of Totality" has several different Dubstep producers help produce the album including Skrillex, Noisia, and 12th Planet. Korn does an amazing job combining the two genres into a "metalstep" hybrid. "The Path Of Totality" gives Korn fans something very different to listen to, but still has the sound unique to Korn's music. The songs "Kill Mercy Within" and "Burn The Obedient" are in my personal favorites, I would recommend anyone to listen to the whole album including those two songs.

The lyrical topics don't seem to venture far from Korn's usual topics. Johnathan Davis's singing fits perfectly with the dubstep aspects that have been incorporated. JD also makes some very catchy vocal sections, most notable to me in "Let's Go" and "Get Up!". In the bonus track "Tension", JD throws in his identifiable grunts and growls, which mixes very well with the synthesizers and wobble bass.

In comparison to Korn's other albums, it is completely different, yet a change for the better, "The Path Of Totality" sends Korn into unexplored territory and the band fits in perfectly. "The Path Of Totality" is definitely a great album, I highly recommend that any fan of Korn, dubstep, or both listen to this album in it's entirety. I admit I'm not the biggest Korn fan and I'm not fond with a large portion of Korn's music (that would explain it if my lyrics section isn't very good), but this album is something I strongly recommend to buy. "The Path Of Totality" is a very enjoyable album to listen to, each song has it's own identifiable sound and each song is good to listen to many times.