The Path of Totality review by Korn

• Released: Dec 6, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Korn: The Path of Totality

The band name seems more appropriate than ever. Why? Because, despite the crap, you can still tell its Korn. "The Path Of Totality", Korn's latest attempt to Frankenstein two musical genres, isn't terrible. It's not good, either. The main issue is that the album doesn't evoke any kind of true emotional reaction. It just "is". It lacks the organic crunchiness that made Korn interesting in the first place. Triumphs occur when Korn does its thing and dub-step is used to add window dressing. The first singles were smartly chosen but end up being an act of deception. "Narcissistic Cannibal" reveals what this album could have been - a seamless integration of synthesized rhythms and melody. "Get Up!" is a rare energetic moment that preserves the aggression that we reminisce about from "Issues". However, this is the exception and not the rule. A majority of the time it feels like they purposely molded songs to accommodate a hook, which isn't all that "hooky" in the first place. Korn ends up playing second fiddle to its dub-step masters and the album sags as a result.

Jonathan Davis's angsty lyrics and schizophrenic vocal delivery are beginning to feel recycled and inauthentic. We get it, man. You're angry. You hate. You wait. You create. You exacerbate. You retaliate. And then you hate again. I'm assuming most of bypass the hope for lyrical ingenuity when it comes to Korn. We've all accepted what we've paid for? Good. Moving on...

The album's biggest redeeming quality is its production value. The mix is crisp, well balanced, and it's in your face. Too bad there aren't many crank-worthy moments on the album. You can't fault Korn for taking a risk. They've made a great living by forcing square pegs into round holes. However, "The Path Of Totality" hits the ground with a resounding "wub-wub".

kinslayerSOA
    I'm personally not a great fan of dubstep, or 'brostep' as Skrillex seems to be labelled. Obviously then, I'm not overly fussed by this album compared to Korn's older stuff, such as Alone I Break and Here To Stay. However, there are some good moments. The two singles, Get Up! and Narcissistic Cannibal are great blends of dubstep and rock. Only major issues with the singles is that the chorus of Get Up! shows how good this album could've been without the dubstep. That chorus is so good just on it's own.
    metallica72487
    ok first off as far as korn albums go i would say this one is by far my least favorite album and could very well be there downfall i like some songs on here they are kinda catchy but they could of done without the techno in every song it would of been a cool ideA IF THEY HADNT OVER USED LIKE THEY DID COME ON EVERY SONG THAT GETS OLD FAST THERES ONLY A COUPLE SONGS THAT STICK OUT TOO ME THE REST ARE AVERAGE AT BEST AND I REALLY FEEL LIKE KORN IS SELLING OUT WITHT HIS DUB STEP THING NEVER LESS IT COULD OF BEEN A COOL IDEA IF THEY HADNT OVER USED IT AND THIS ALBUM IS VERY SHORT AND FEELS LIKE A HALF ASS EFFORT BY THEM IN MY OPPINION HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME THEY DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND BUYING THIS ALBUM 2 ANYBODY