Untitled review by Korn

• Released: Jul 31, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Korn: Untitled

Korn seem to have dropped the combination of downtuned chunky riffs and melodic chorus's in favour of industrial guitar and synth. Terry Bozzio giving the band an interesting new sound with his immense perrcussion on the CD. "Bitch We Got A Problem" is probably the closest the album comes to the old korn. The sound is very experimental throughout the album with moments of prog and crazy perrcussion. The slow piano and singing combined with the heavy guitar and sharp drums on "Kiss" (probably the closest the album comes to a ballad) works very well. The new sounds Korn has manufactured for this album works but the lack of Korn's heavy yet melodic chorus's leaves you feeling that there's something missing from the album.

Jon Davis Is clearly a gifted singer though you can clearly see how his voice has changed over the years. The singing on the album is very much like the singing on the last album "See You On The Other Side". The lyrics of the album fit in well with the music and some of the songs have very pop-ish lyrics. I can't be sure but I'd say the song "Love And Luxury" is about former guitarist "Head."

although there are good songs on the album it doesn't compare to classic Korn cds such as "Follow The Leader". The high points of the album are when the verses and riffs go well together such as on "Killing". First single "Evolution" is probably the best song on the album. Fans of the "new" Korn of "See You On The Other Side" will enjoy the album but fans of classic korn wont't. All throughout the CD your just waiting for a huge chorus that never comes.

Idiot_Son
    guarantee you this, if Korn hadn't tried to 'evolve' their music, all the haters here would be bitching that it all sounds the same. It can't stay the same and change. and as for the aforementioned bands being remembered, the only thing they will be remembered for is being absolute drek. (with the exception of deftones). why would people remember bands that 'push the creative envelope' by sounding exactly the same as all the other supposedly creative bands? in closing, Korn will never be as good as they were, but they are still plugging away, and still churning out the occasional memorable song
    TC1223
    rip3149 wrote: i like this new effort a lot more than see you on the other side, but it still doesn't compare to take a look in the mirror or follow the leader. in my opinion, they've lost some of the passion and fury they had in the 90's. the creativity is still there, but there's not anything really solid compared to Korn or Issues or even Life is Peachy (my least favorite, twist blows).
    Twist is f'n awesome
    ProgIsGood
    WTF! WTF! WTF!!!!! !!!!! !!!!! !!!!! Why is Terry Bozzio even relating to this scum of the musical world. He is one of the best drummers in history or, at least jazz. This makes me very angry.
    rhynov1
    I'm a huge Korn fan, and this album was a total disappointment for me. Call me narrow-minded, but I don't like the change to their music. Only 2 songs I like are "Killing" and "Evolution" Sorry Korn, but you guys can do WAY better.
    Savage Animal
    caseygustaveson wrote: NightwishAngel wrote: 'em, Korn will (and always be) one of the best rock bands ever. Haha, never were, never will be. In my opinion, Nu Metal, and Screamo bands are just going to be completely forgotten years from now. Other, more creative and talented bands, such as Minus The Bear, The Shins, Wilco, Deftones,The Mars Volta, and Death Cab For Cutie will be remembered. Our children's generation will be listening to these bands, and will be laughing at bands that our generation listened to, such as Korn, Hawthorne Heights, Limp Bizkit, etc, like my generation snickers at the lame hair metal bands.
    The hell they will! That music has hardly any lasting power. Why do people still listen to Dylan, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and countless other bands from the 60s/70s? Cause they were real musicians that were changing the way music was percieved. True innovation has lasting power which is why people decades from now will still be listening to stuff from the 60s/70s and probably Metallica and metal bands like that too. All those bands you mentioned will fade away into obscurity (hopefully)
    chantryguitar
    Ever since Head quit, this band went downhill... Listen to their 1st and 2nd cd, those are amazing. But there last two releases really disappointed me, I hope they go back to there old sound.
    Never To Be...
    can anyone tell me what's hot today in rock music since you all keep saying Nu Metal is dead. So why don't you tell me what is hot? because ever since Nu Metal suppossively died, so did Music because everything new suck a$$
    FBA Ac1d
    This is definitely one of if not Korn's best album to date. I cant believe nobody said anything about "Innocent Bystander" which is like the heaviest and best song on the album. I love this CD. Korn still keeps on making great music!
    JB93
    wrong review -
    odb56 wrote: AM I THE ONLY PERSON HERE THAT THINKS SEYMOUR DUNCAN PICKUPS SUCK ASS? YOU KNOW.... I TRIED MANY JACKSONS ,DEANS,WASHBURNS AND THAT KIND OF SHIT WITH JB/59 OR SD DISTORTION/59 SETS ON A ENGL FIREBALL AMP(that amp is f***** stunnin) AND IT SOUNDED JUST WEIRD....AND IF YOU DO SOME HARMONIC TONES YOU HAVE TO LIKE TRY 10 TIMES UNTIL THAT SHIT WORKS..AFTER I GET ANGRY WITH THOSE DAMN PICKUPS I ALWAYS TAKE AN ESP FOR EXAPLE WITH ACTIVE EMGS AND IT JUST SOUNDS GREAT!RICH HARMONICS AND STUFF.....SO CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY DO SO MANY DUDES PLAY DUNCAN?
    odb56
    odb56
    guitgrinder wrote: is some idiot above me saying that Korn is not original? whether you like 'em or not is one thing, but if you think they are un-original then please be so kind to tell me where I can find a band that was doing Korn's style of music before they were. As far as I know, NOTHING before '94 sounded like the self-titled Korn album, thereby making it truly original. Also, band names like "The Shins" and Death Cab are completely un-original, especially the latter which was ripped from some Beetles song, while Minus The Bear and Wilco are kind of crappy names... TMV is an ok name, but their music is lame. Even their guitarist said he doesn't even like guitar playing that much, and I think it shows. So go **** yourself San Diego.
    youre so right dude...thx for that one.....cheers
    ShreddingIsArt
    Personally I didn't like the way Korn has been headed lately, with the acoustic mess of a album MTV Unplugged, and SYOTOS was a complete mess IMO. This album was much better than the last, the guitars don't really stand out as much as I would like them too...and a solo??!?!? I didn't even hear a solo...but maybe I didn't pay enough attention. Overall Korn is still good, but they lost their original flow they had which kinda disappoints me. and for all you bashers on korn...just shut up...the people who posted above me were right...all you flammers can't spell and your grammar is depressing me.
    TC1223
    Really now it's just a matter if you like Jon Davis. He is awesome and if you like him, you will like this album. A few songs are a waste but there is lot of good stuff. As long as he keeps making music, I will buy his albums.
    guitgrinder
    man, I love the first 4 records, but since then it's been glimmers of hope on each album. here to stay, thoughtless, y'all want a single, coming undone, evolution... all pretty good and heavy songs in the korn style or a progression of it, but a lot of the other songs are just blah. remember when Korn first came out and JD said that he wasn't ever really into metal, but very much into dance music? I think that shows a lot these days, but due to their past and their questioned credibility, they can't really say that they want to do more stuff with a dance feel. Seems like they feel like they HAVE to be metal 'cuz that's what people expect of them 'cuz of their previously heavy music. Essentially, they are the new Metallica. I said that 8 years ago, and I say it again today. They had four solid albums in the same style. On their fifth, they opened up and kept with that for the following records; some turned away, but many new fans were attracted. Some got bored and left as quick as they came, some stayed, some old fans reappeared after giving it a second chance, some scream "sell-out!", some are die-hards. Some fans who pretty much like older stuff will find themselves occasionally rockin' to a newer track. Some 'tallica fans only like thru ...AJFA, but dig Fuel, kinda how I only like thru Issues, but dig Coming Undone and the few others I mentioned above. Basically, what I'm sayin' is this- Korn, just like Metallica, are "here to stay" (heh-heh). Either you get it, or you don't. If you don't then the die-hards don't care and really, neither does anyone else, 'cuz they gave up on the band so long ago. I say if you're a die-hard, then rock out with your cock out with no remorse and no regrets, 'cuz I'm a die-hard Metallica fan and respect those who stick to their guns through the thick and thin.
    mORIS
    no scat. and for all KoRn haters - SHUT THE FUCK UP! If u hate korn, then write it in your ****ing dairy, not here
    wraith696
    I really like this album. It's a lot more musical than their previous albums, and they try to stick out of the box a little by using uncommon instruments to provide a harmony for the voice sometimes. It's lost the simple, neanderthal 2-note riffs, and I'm glad for that, because this is quality hard rock. I don't really think it has a lot of metal in it anymore, unless you look at the ending of 'Killings'.
    Afi_rocker_91
    i mean i do like the new korn, i just wished they still used alot of heavy riffs, but there synths and all that sound great
    hexagram244
    Seems to me like they are heading in the right direction musically, the single evolution sounds good imo.
    caseygustaveson
    darkfire_storm
    bootyking69 wrote: my a$$ farts out better music then this $hit!!! real corn in my $hit doesnt stink as bad as this cd!! korn sux!!!
    now, why would you come into a forum that is entirely about a review of the latest Korn cd if you dont like Korn? it's like some people show up to flame people just to piss others off. its embarrassing to say that i'm human at times because of stupid people like you. that being said, ill check it out, ive loved korn from the start!
    JRowe3388
    Give the album more than one listen and have an open mind. It really grows on you. @ caseygustaveson, they dont play drop D. They tune down a whole step to ADGCFBE. If you actually listened to the album, you'd notice they focus more on sustained note riffs.
    twisted_freak
    Not for me. It's like washed out nu-metal now. Sadly i don't think will ever hear the old Korn again.
    KoRnOnA6String
    caseygustaveson wrote: KoRnOnA6String wrote: bands, such as Minus The Bear, The Shins, Wilco, Deftones,The Mars Volta, and Death Cab For Cutie will be remembered. Apart from Deftones, they'll be remembered because of their shite names >.> Seriously, their names annoy the shit out of me. You can't even take them the cheezy way, they're just too f-ing crap.. >.< Yes, because "KoRn" is a much better name. And ALL that matters in music is the band name. Who cares if a band tries something ORIGINAL, and uses more than bar chords in drop D OVER and OVER again. If they don't have a cool name, they are "shite".
    Yup, it's a much better name because it's meant TO BE CHEEZZZZZYYYYY! Way to rip what I said out of context >.> Where have I ever said that's the most important thing? I meant they weren't going to be remembered for their 'unique' songs, because they HAVEN'T GOT ANY. They're pure tripe, so the only reason someone would remember them would be because of their shite names :
    LOL! Original?! LOL! Really, they're not: