Untouchables review by Korn

• Released: Jun 11, 2002
Korn: Untouchables

Korn completely jumps from the sinking nu-metal ship on their 5th studio performance. The clarity of their sound was greater than it had ever been. With crunching, heavy riffs, agressive drumming, and sonic bass lines, Untouchables proved to be the next big thing for Korn. The record was produced by Michael Beinhorn, known for his previous work with groups like Marilyn Manson, Stone Temple Pilots, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Beinhorn is also know for his extremely drawn out and layered recording process. The album was written and recorded over a nearly 2 year stretch, much longer than any previous Korn effort. The rich and heavy, yet poppy sounds are a delight to the fans of radio, but it seems this record has caused a bit of a backlash with longtime Korn fans. Songs like "Here to Stay", "Embrace", and "Wake Up Hate" feed the needs of Korn fans eager to hear their signature heavy anger. As well, the softer side of Korn is revealed on this record. This is most evident on songs like "Alone I Break", "Hating", and "Hollow Life".

Lyrically, frontman Jonathan Davis takes a differant approach this time around. It seems most of his hate and anger has fizzled into hurt and lonliness. The singer also had private singing lessons before the record was recorded, making his voice much more melody friendly than ever before.

Overall, this is Korn's most complete record to date. All of the elemants that made Korn are represented, but this time, with pure concentration and clarity. Solid and heavy, with all of the trimmings needed to keep pace with the ever changing face of heavy rock.

Darnister38
    Zell182 wrote: Probably their worst album with Head but strangely contains one of their best singles in Here To Stay. But after that every track sounds the same bar Alone I Break.
    What? Untouchables is one of the best albums. And you can't tell me that songs like Bottled Up Inside and Beat It Upright are anything like Alone I Break. I agree it does have more slow-beat songs, but that it no way is a bad thing.
    Zell182