Untouchables Review

8.5
 8.2
 1,838
Untouchables Reviewed by: music_reviewer1, on november 10, 2003

Sound: The guitars in this album are fairly good. There is always room for improvement, but they do not need too much. The guitars really go with the lyrics, and Jonathan Davis's voice. The bass is really good, as always, Fieldy is really talented. James Shaffer and Brian Welch are extreamly talented. I really like the distortortion too, it makes them sound even better. Overall they are all very talented. I can only wish that I was as good of bass as Fieldy... // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are not really that good, mostly "am I going crazy?" but I really enjoy the voice talents of Davis. Davis is one of the most talented vocal artists of the genre. The lyrics go really good with Davis's voice like I have said earlier. Davis is talented in singing, but not all that talented in songwriting. Overall the lyrics are only average, but Davis has a neverending hat of vocal talents. // 6

Overall Impression: I thought this album was fairly good, but as I have said the lyrics are not that great. I really love the guitar, bass, and drums. This is an optional buy, it took me a while to really think it was good. But if your a big fan you probably love it and already have it. // 6

Untouchables Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2003

Sound: First off let me start by saying that Korn's sound, while remaining true is just another rehash of the same formula. I feel that Korn's Guitar riffs were innovative when they first came on to the scene, but with all the albums they've released so far they'd try something new. No luck. Still This CD has a great feel to it, but I think that at this point in their careers they should try to change, even if just a little. // 6

Lyrics: Once Again, I see Korn has spent some good time writing progressive and poetically morbid lyrics. On songs like, "Thoughtless" the lyrics really gripped me. However, on songs like "All my hate" The lyrics, while not bad exactly, weren't too special // 6

Overall Impression: I think that this album is what is usually expected of Korn, minus some factors, Innovation for one. Korn has made no effort to reinvent their writing style and left us with a few good songs and a whole lot of throw together trash. I think that they could've done much better. // 6

Untouchables Reviewed by: draintheKORN908, on april 07, 2004

Sound: Compared to the old Korn CDs, this one sounds almost the same. Except for "Here To Stay"'s Nine Inch Nails vibe to it. And Fieldy's ringing bass is still on selected songs. The CD also has "Alone I Break" with it's dreamlike, sort of hazy feel to it. Again Korn has found some new effects as found on the song "Thoughtless". // 8

Lyrics: As always, Korn has those "I hate you" sort of lyrics, but there are some different ones. Such as "This pain is elevating as the hurt turns into hating/anticipating all the f---ed up feelings again." The lyrics and the music seem to match up pretty well, mainly because because of Jonathan Davis' skill to make his voice heavy then pretty normal in about 2 seconds. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best Korn CDs and I recommend buying it. The most outstanding songs on the album are "Alone I Break" and "Here To Stay". This is a great CD. // 10

Untouchables Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2005

Sound: The sound varies quite a bit on this album there's the heavy ones e.g. Embrace, Wake Up Hate. And there's a funky one e.g. Beat It Upright. And theres also a mellow on which is called Hollow Life. So if you want variety this would be a good album to get. The sound to me is in my opinion excellent from the heavy riff in 'Here To Stay' to the weird riff in 'One More Time.' // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are quite typical of Korn songs. For example theres a song about being bullied e.g. 'Thoughtless' and there's one about being depressed and breaking down which is 'Alone I break' which is what we would expect from Korn. However on saying that the lyircs are typical I can't really fault them because they are so well built up and unwoven in songs and they do the job of creating moods. So overall the lyrics are pretty typical but are also quite good. Jonathan Davis is excellent on this album and gets the balance of shouting and singing just right. I reckon his singing on 'Hollow life' is outstanding. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is bloody amazing. My favorite tracks are Beat It Upright, Here To Stay, Make Believe, Embrace, Hollow Life, Hating and goodness me there are so many more I can't be bothered to mention. The only track I don't is 'Blame' but all the other tracks are brilliant. I love the constinency on this album so many tracks are good it's unbelievable. Ok this is not their best album 'Korn' their self titled debut is probably their best because of the rage behind it but it's nearly as good as their debut. It's hard to say whether it's better than 'Follow The Leader'. It's hard to compare korn albums becuase they are all good but at any rate this is a excellent album. Buy it now! // 9

Untouchables Reviewed by: KoRnHead, on march 02, 2006

Sound: For their first album of the new millenum it is probly the most memorable. After 4 albums (Korn, Life Is Peach, Follow The Leader, and Issues) they still are on top of nu-metal. The style of Head, Munkey, and Feidly hasn't changed much from the original Korn soud but the changes in heaviness and effecs were made for the better. John seemed to be more mellowed out on this CD but I still consider it one of their best works. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to be more calm and less hateful but you can still feel the energy from them. They realy matured in this album and it seemed they were also trying to reach out to more than just teens. Songs like "Hallow Life," "No One's There," and "Alone I break" started out soft but transitioned into a more heavier tone and seemed to fit well into life today. "Here To Stay" and "Thoughtless" realy grabed my attention. They are heavy all the way and the instruments realy varied to make 2 great songs. Near the end the song "Wake Up Hate" would have to be the most drastic change they made. It started out with a techno beat, went to the chorus wich was loud, and had a soft verse. John has also come a long way vocaly. He sung the highest I've ever heard him sing and did some of the best death metal screams up to date (Take A Look In The Mirror was better on that part). // 10

Overall Impression: This album is like nothing they have ever done befor or up till now as well. I felt "Here To Stay," "Wake Up Hate," "Blame" and "Thoughtless" were the best songs on this album vocaly and instrumentaly. I realy love how they keep take their sound to the next level with every album by trying new effects and singing styles. If this album was lost or stolen I would definatly buy it again as well as for all my friends. // 9

Untouchables Reviewed by: Ploosh_Meister, on may 03, 2006

Sound: Great! This is a highly epic, eerie, angry sounding record. From all the Korn albums (from the self titled through to see you on the other side) this is my personal favourite Korn album. It contains a lot of variety and a lot of experimenting, but not in a way in which the songs get confusing, more in a strange sound kind of way. It's a great direction and Korn should have continued it. It definently built on what Issues was doing but did it better. // 9

Lyrics: Johnathon Davis sings amazingly on this record. Past and future releases have not managed to touch what he did on this, as he really branched out but not too far. The lyrics aren't the greatest, but fit well with the songs, and the way they're sung really is clever and interesting. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favourite Korn album by quite a way. It's a big difference in sound from the first two albums, but under all the new effects and techniques used on this album, it definently contains the raw Korn attitude underneath it all. It's diverse, interesting and more complicated than other Korn albums. If it were stolen I'd most likely go out and buy it again as soon as possible. // 9

Untouchables Reviewed by: Disturbed Pup, on march 10, 2008

Sound: By far this is the most under rated KoRn album ever. Most people forget about it mostly because it sounds least like KoRn than any other KoRn album. It is much heavier than previous Korn albums, but I think along with their debut album it is their musicly greatest achievment. A very eiree, gothic like feel to the entire album, with heavy riffs and booming bass and drum beats. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually some of my favorite of all KoRn lyrics. they go along great with the music and have powerful emotion in them. Jonathan really knows how to use different vocal styles to go along with certian lyrics as well. Jonathan uses techniques ranging from death growls to clean melodic like vocals and the usual Korn grunts and growls. // 10

Overall Impression: This is KoRn's best album besides thier self titled debut. Allthough under rated all KoRn fans should give it a chance. I really love that KoRn decided to take a heavier path with this album, they proved that they can be heavier without the use of rapping and KoRn jabber lyrics. I give this album a 9/10. I would difinitly buy this album if it were lost or stolen, and recommend this to anyone who likes heavy music. // 9

Untouchables Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2009

Sound: Korn completely jumps from the sinking nu-metal ship on their 5th studio performance. The clarity of their sound was greater than it had ever been. With crunching, heavy riffs, agressive drumming, and sonic bass lines, Untouchables proved to be the next big thing for Korn. The record was produced by Michael Beinhorn, known for his previous work with groups like Marilyn Manson, Stone Temple Pilots, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Beinhorn is also know for his extremely drawn out and layered recording process. The album was written and recorded over a nearly 2 year stretch, much longer than any previous Korn effort. The rich and heavy, yet poppy sounds are a delight to the fans of radio, but it seems this record has caused a bit of a backlash with longtime Korn fans. Songs like "Here to Stay", "Embrace", and "Wake Up Hate" feed the needs of Korn fans eager to hear their signature heavy anger. As well, the softer side of Korn is revealed on this record. This is most evident on songs like "Alone I Break", "Hating", and "Hollow Life". // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, frontman Jonathan Davis takes a differant approach this time around. It seems most of his hate and anger has fizzled into hurt and lonliness. The singer also had private singing lessons before the record was recorded, making his voice much more melody friendly than ever before. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is Korn's most complete record to date. All of the elemants that made Korn are represented, but this time, with pure concentration and clarity. Solid and heavy, with all of the trimmings needed to keep pace with the ever changing face of heavy rock. // 9

Comments