Spirit Of The Forest review by Korpiklaani

• Released: Nov 10, 2003
Korpiklaani: Spirit Of The Forest

Korpiklaani's first album (with name Korpiklaani). Starting with "Wooden Pints", which is one of my favorite songs by band. Cool violin + drums intro. The album has 14 tracks and again it has everything; Fast stuff, cool stuff, epic stuff and weird stuff. Happy drinking songs like "Wooden Pints", faster and heavier like "Gof Of Wind", epic like "With Trees" and even a shaman drum thing - "Hengettmilt Hengilt". I also like the fact that Korpiklaani makes a lot of instrumentals. Everything works fine. Melodies are really awesome, and the violin makes this band even more unique. This band is different from other famous bands with it's softness. They're metal for sure, but not as hard as Finntroll or Moonsorrow.

Lyrics are typical folk stuff. Gods of wind, shaman curses, drinking men who have never seen the sun and so on. Jonne's voice is really good and works perfectly. Even though he should practice his English a bit more. Singing and lyrics are once again working perfectly with the music.

This really does compare with other albums. Actually it's one of their best. On the "Voice Of Wilderness" review I mentioned that it's the best album, but this gets easily as close. My favorite songs are "Wooden Pints", "God Of Wind", "Pellonpekko" and "Mother Earth".

test1cles
    m4ss3 m/ wrote: Released in 2003, on frontpage in 2011. Wow..
    So it's only possible to review albums that are new?
    Zeletros
    Oh, it's this band. Simple folk metal music, a pleasure to listen to, good for a brawl.
    Tengal
    Ah, fellow Finnish Korpiklaani. Not sure but I think Jonne's terrible English is purposefully terrible, gives a certain northern backwater-dweller edge. I find it very fitting.
    HouseAtlantic
    All the good metal albums of 2011 have been and gone, shame really, all the most unique material came out last month.
    Cormorant - Dwellings
    EpiExplorer
    m4ss3 m/ wrote: test1cles wrote: m4ss3 m/ wrote: Released in 2003, on frontpage in 2011. Wow.. So it's only possible to review albums that are new? No, but I thought that only reviews of new things get on front page.
    m4ss3 m/
    No, but I thought that only reviews of new things get on front page.