Voice Of Wilderness review by Korpiklaani

• Released: Jan 24, 2005
Korpiklaani: Voice Of Wilderness

Korpiklaani is most likely the most pure folk metal band ever. While Ensiferum is mix of folk and melo death and Finntroll is mix of Black metal and folk, Korpiklaani isn't really mix of any other genre than just folk metal. They also have real folk instruments instead of using keyboards to make folk instruments. The sound of the band is really old sounding. Their melodies are played mostly with violin and they sound like old Finnish folk songs. Guitars aren't maybe the most mind blowing and actually I wouldn't be surprised if Jonne started playing just because they had no one else, but still all works perfectly. They got nice "normal tempo" songs like "Spirit Of The Forest" and "Native Land", but also fast songs like "Journeyman" and the famous "Beer Beer". Altogether pretty damn good. Also one cool thing is their instrumentals; Unlike Finntroll, Korpiklaani makes metal instrumentals like "Ryyppäjäiset".

Lyrics are cool folk stuff like "Journeyman", not forgetting their drinking songs like "Beer Beer". Also there's really epic and cool sounding song; "Kädet Siipinä". It's sung in Finnish and it's about some lady who lost his husband in battle. Even though I speak perfectly Finnish it's still kinda hard to understand the lyrics and that's the cool part: they use pretty old Finnish language. Singer is pretty good. He got pretty deep voice. They're also the only one of these famous Finnish folk bands that doesn't use any kind of growling. All is sung clean. His voice sometimes reminds me of Dave Mustaine... He for sure isn't the most epic singer in metal history, but does his job fine enough.

This for sure compares to other albums. Korpiklaani always makes pretty damn long albums, this being one of the shortest ones. They got really nice mix of songs here; Fast folk, some humppa, normal tempo songs, instrumentals and acoustic song. What more could you ask? My personal favorite Korpiklaani album. My personal favorite song is "Kädet Siipinä", it's just so epic. I think this album is made very well, as they have so many different songs and this isn't too long album. It also differs from other folk bands as it's not so dark or agressive and has only clean singing.

EpiExplorer
    Darth_Pietrus wrote: I wouldnt call it clean singing, but it aint growling either.
    I call it 'The Jaz Coleman Way', just cuz Jaz Coleman does it best.
    henkka_potku
    EpiExplorer
    henkka_potku wrote: I hate the word "humppa", there's really no humppa in Finnish folk metal. Humppa is the name for fast dance music the old farts dance to. Nowhere to be found in Korpiklaani songs god damnit.
    Maybe not Korpilaani, they're more the mish-mash booze-tavern band. I think the hummppa thing has only really been used with Finntroll.
    zannibal
    Yeah I know, but some songs at least have the "humppa komppi" But you're right, Korpiklaani doesn't use humppa almost at all.