Animatronics review by Kovenant

• Released: Oct 19, 1999
Kovenant: Animatronics

This album is very different from Nexus Polaris (released for the first time in 1998) because the black metal atmosphere is massively changed. The two earlier albums Nexus Polaris and In times before the light, were both more "pure" black metal, and the industrial form of black metal has been enhanced a lot. From using only synths as a backing instrument, the synth has been taken to a new level and is very much more frequently used. This brings a bigger variation to the album compared to the earlier ones.

The lyrics are also different, more focused on religion and society than before. The lyrics are very good, they are not all about the darkest things, but about humanity, and they give a very realistic picture of many actual and current issues in the world today. Lex Icon are actually using his voice more clear at times, but it is still grim and very well suited for black metal.

It is the best Kovenant album so far, but SETI (the next album, released 2003) lies close on the list. The Kovenant went more industrial with Animatronic and have now changed into a very much more unique band in Norwegian black metal. It's an album that I'll listen to from time to time. New World Order, Singdrom, Mirrors Paradise, and The Human Abstract are my favourites from this album, but there are many musical pearls here too. It's an album I'd buy again if I had too. Norwegian black metal of high standard!

Derz
    Perfect Man! This Album is like you said! But The lyrics are so good on the album so i would give them 10 !!! This album is just Perfect. Its my fav album on this world!