Hordes Of Chaos review by Kreator

• Released: Jan 13, 2009
Kreator: Hordes Of Chaos

There's been a lot of talk about Metallica's return to form with Death Magnetic, but they aren't the only metal veterans that continue to keep old school thrash alive. Germany's Kreator might not have received the same success in terms of record sales that their counterparts in Metallica have over the years, but in many ways Kreator is delivering a much purer and gutsier version of the sound that originally made them a household name. Their 12th studio album Hordes Of Chaos combines elements of some of the greatest metal bands of the past few decades, with the dual guitar team of Mille Petrozza and Sami Yli-Sirnio delivering amazing riffwork along the way. Some of you might remember that Kreator formed back in 1982, not long after the likes of Metallic, Slayer, and Venom. Those influences were strongly evident on earlier works, and the band has been returning to its roots ever since 2005's Enemy of God. While Hordes of Chaos isn't quite as groundbreaking as some metal albums over the years, it still packs a punch. There are a few moments of calm, during which time Yli-Sirnio delivers a clean, classical-sounding interludes, but for the most part Hordes of Chaos is an apt title. If you enjoy Iron Maiden, you'll undoubtedly be pleased by what you hear in the first few moments of the CD. The title track features a similar dual-guitar-driven intro that you might get on any given Maiden record, but this is not a band that stays in one place very long. The thrash follows shortly after, with other moments delivering leads that evoke a Megadeth vibe. If you prefer something a little more aggressive and in-your-face, Warcurse has almost a Slayer-like sound to its chorus. That doesn't necessarily mean the whole song feels like a rehashing of a Kerry King track, however. Kreator often jam-packs their songs with multiple musical sections that vary in tempo and style - more so than most metal bands - and if anything, you hear something new each time you listen. Some might take issue that Kreator writes too many sections during the course of one song (although vocalist/guitarist Petrozza maintains the same vocal style for much of the CD), but there is still some amazing musicianship underneath it all. If you are a fan of guitar teams, Kreator is a band that you'll absolutely be able to appreciate. Whether the focus is rhythmic mastery (Escalation) quiet, instrumental moments (Corpses of Liberty), or thrash fury (Demon Prince) proves that Kreator is creatively still a viable band on the metal scene.

A recent press release described the album as a powerhouse featuring rigorous thrash attacks and Kreator's familiarly intelligent lyrics about self-determination and the dangers of contemporary war propaganda." While it's not completely blatant in every line on the CD, that message does come across in tracks like Warcurse, Amok Run, and Demon Prince. The themes might not seem to far removed from what you might hear from Megadeth, but it's still novel that Kreator is taking the time to reflect upon the state of the political world.

The biggest change for Kreator might not be immediately evident when you first listen to Hordes of Chaos. Apparently the group opted for a more organic recording process, without relying on the usual computers to tweak the sound. The results are far from raw, and the clarity of the album is amazing. Hordes of Chaos is an album that has so much going on that you're going to want to hear every little nuance that an instrument makes, and for the most part that comes through crystal clear - possibly because they didn't use computers to perfect the sound. While the music might sound too familiar to some, it's a good kind of familiarity. When you evoke everyone from Iron Maiden to Slayer to Megadeth in the same album, that cannot be a bad thing.

Silas S Thompso
    666GotH999
    old metallica was good but since the black album they suck.metallica is a piece of shit. fukin' sell outs real thrash metal bands slayer,exodus,overkill, Kreator...
    BurningTheLives
    Silas S Thompso wrote: alot of the older thrash bands that never got really big (Sodom, Anhillilator, Testament, Slayer, Megadeth, Overkill, Heathen, and more)still play real good metal. Metallica is the only one really that changed. And James is the only singer (maybe) that doesn't deliver like he used to. Listen to the new Testament album (formation of damnation)or Megadeth (United Abominations) they can still deliver good vocals. Or even Iron Maiden (A matter of life and death). But I'm looking forward to buying this when I get some money.
    Skuzzmo
    Perpetual Burn wrote: Kreator are household names?
    They are in my house! Kreator...Germanic Thrash at it's best. i'm looking forward to hearing this one. Always enjoy their musical outings. Whoot! Raise the flag of hate!
    Siege of Power
    NOt as big as say Metallica
    Reviewer Pete
    Siege of Power wrote: BurningTheLives wrote: Slayer and Megadeth didn't make it big? Man have I been lied to all these years... NOt as big as say Metallica
    Horrible comparison.
    Thrash Kommand
    I actually liked most of Death Magnetic. It wasn't thrash by any means, but it was kinda thrashy n some of it was cool. Kreator owns Metallica anyday though. I got this cd for my birthday n it just rips. TIME TO RAISE THE FLAG OF HATE!!!
    chasesrc
    Kreator have been around for a long time. I can remember in 1987 I was in a garage metal band, and one of the guys had a cassette copy of Flag of Hate. The song "Take Their Lives" was the Heaviest Shit I had ever heard. Still an awesome set. Check it out, This stuff is pushing 30 years old, and still sounds fresh!
    philrox
    decayingdave wrote: postmortem2006 wrote: Thats because people these days are retarded and can't tell thrash from their own sphincters. I thought I was the only one who thought that! It seems that most modern Metal is either tired and confused (Metallica), new acts ripping off older acts (trivium, bullet for my valentine) or plain old boring... But those three points are only plausible when stated in comparison good old pre-1990's thrash/metal.
    Trivium and Bullet in my opinion were better off before they tried to copy the likes of 80's bands. I personally prefer their screams and guitar work.
    cmstrike
    Sunny Side wrote: Every time I read "Metallica" I hate the band just a little bit more.
    That's some intelligent reasoning there. I gave Hordes of Chaos a listen, and I gotta say that I liked Enemy of God a little better. Might just be my first impression though, I'll give it more time. I still like their earlier stuff better though.
    Damage,Inc
    fuukin metal cd. and to those fuks bitching about metallica and death magnetic; This is Kreator Hordes of Chaos review, not attack bands that dont sound like kreator review.
    TheTortured
    Haunt3dAng3l
    TheTortured wrote: i love everything kreator has put out (not including those 3 horrible sellout albums, you know which ones) and this is the best ****ing trhash album ever. EVER. although in Amok Run its kinda funny because Milles accent shows sometimes xD
    I always lol when people accuse a metal band of "selling out" just because they play a bit of a different style. Of course, we don't want our favorite bands to change. The bands though, they get bored of doing the same thing all the time. I think that metallica did change styles specifically for money and not because they really wanted to...though I've never really like metallica so . I thought that Kreator's "Sellout" albums kicked just as much ass as everything else they've done. If you are truly a fan of a band, you will always support their music. By the way, kreator = awesome. I will check this CD out for sure.
    guitarfreak222
    WTF? Slayer and Megadeth are big, they're even in the big four of thrash!!
    hesh3216
    hmmm, i listened to it on youtube and i thought the production sounded rather 80's. im still gonna buy the cd next time i make it to def ear cuz id rather wait a while than just go to best buy. but yeah, i loved enemy of god and violent revolution. they were so melodic one second and then fast as hell the next, and the solos, omfg. this one is def way more thrashin than anything they have done in over 10-15 years tho. i just hope i dont crash when im bangin my head and drivin down the road.
    Silas S Thompso
    WTF? Slayer and Megadeth are big, they're even in the big four of thrash!! Slayer and Megadeth didn't make it big? Man have I been lied to all these years...
    I meant not as big as Metallica.
    Divinephyton
    UK4tw
    Divinephyton wrote: It's a fun album; I expected just that, nothing more. People who say it's just uninteresting are conceited and looking to score br00tal points. It's a fun, entertaining album and the songs are definitely playable and enjoyable live next to their older music, if you're out there, partying, and they start some new ones, you won't stop... I'll bet you that! The sign of a good album..
    You've hit the nail on the head. And for all the tears that have flowed over Metallica, get over it, they've changed their musical style in order to make it more commercial. But that isn't a bad thing, mutual benefits have already arisen, the band themselves are profiting and through accessing more mainstream media outputs they will draw listeners in to the world of metal (cheesy). I know when I started listening to metal it was a lot of commercial nu-metal (Limp Bizkit's second album, Linkin Park's first album, Papa Roach's first album), but these bands made me want to seek out similar genres and gradually my tastes changed, if I were to list my favourite bands now they would probably be... Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, Opeth, Mastodon.
    GS LEAD 5
    Silas S Thompso : alot of the older thrash bands that never got really big (Sodom, Anhillilator, Testament, Slayer, Megadeth, Overkill, Heathen, and more)still play real good metal. Metallica is the only one really that changed. And James is the only singer (maybe) that doesn't deliver like he used to. Listen to the new Testament album (formation of damnation)or Megadeth (United Abominations) they can still deliver good vocals. Or even Iron Maiden (A matter of life and death). But I'm looking forward to buying this when I get some money.
    Isn't Sodom death metal? And didn't Maiden go through a sort of downturn furing the Blaze Bayley years?
    Andragon
    Fuck yea. One of the most underrated bands. Period! The missing link between thrash and death metal.
    DeathOn2Legs
    i don't like that one. Kreator are one of my favorite bands, but this album pretty much disappointed... better stick to Pleasure to Kill
    postmortem2006
    colm c
    postmortem2006 wrote: "Theres been a lot of talk about Metallicas return to form with Death Magnetic, but they arent the only metal veterans that continue to keep old school thrash alive" Thats because people these days are retarded and can't tell thrash from their own sphincters. I'm disappointed with Hordes of Chaos actually, I got emailed the album awhile ago and it didn't click with me as well as Enemy of God did. Its still a brilliant album, but after two brilliant albums this is a bit of a disappointment.
    felt the same too.. i feel like i should like it but something just holds me back!
    CoBRaGe
    "Theres been a lot of talk about Metallicas return to form with Death Magnetic, but they arent the only metal veterans that continue to keep old school thrash alive." Where is the new Metallica album Thrash Metal?
    madman_ariel
    Kreator is probably my favorite band and i really liked this album. But i still prefer "Extreme Aggression" or "Terrible Certainty"
    beelaal85
    I love thrash! And that's the very reason I love Kreator's every album...
    noobiepro1996
    damn this album really clicked onto me.1st time listening to kreator though aft this review.
    BlisteringDDj
    WTF, NEW KREATOR ALBUM!!1!!!1! Shit, positive surprise! I'm so getting this, can't wait to give it a listen!!!
    Force Reaver
    The mighty met have fell far from grace. How the hell is the new Metallica album even close to thrash metal? O well the new Kreator album is pretty good but no where near their old albums
    Restlesscow
    These bands can't win with some fans can they..? Their either release music that is too distant from their earlier work, music that is too similar to their earlier works or they are simply copying other bands songs... Just pointing that out... As for this album, cant wait to get it, should be good
    Shabalaba
    Silas S Thompso wrote: alot of the older thrash bands that never got really big (Sodom, Anhillilator, Testament, Slayer , Megadeth , Overkill, Heathen, and more)still play real good metal. Metallica is the only one really that changed. And James is the only singer (maybe) that doesn't deliver like he used to. Listen to the new Testament album (formation of damnation)or Megadeth (United Abominations) they can still deliver good vocals. Or even Iron Maiden (A matter of life and death). But I'm looking forward to buying this when I get some money.
    Are you sure about those 2 bands?....
    postmortem2006
    Bombardana wrote: Never a good idea to compare Metallica to anything else, ever
    Let alone Kreator. In fact its never a good idea to dub Metallica thrash.
    Sunny Side
    Every time I read "Metallica" I hate the band just a little bit more. Still love Kreator though, need to listen to the album.
    diablo_man
    this album came out just in time for me to go see them live in a few months! cant wait! hope they play mostly new stuff
    thrashnmosh782
    lol dood i had this album in december lol my buddy somehow got it.....and ive been listening to it nonstop.....best tunes are warcurse and the title track
    decayingdave