Hordes Of Chaos review by Kreator

• Released: Jan 13, 2009
Kreator: Hordes Of Chaos

Kreator's twelfth record starts off with a few immediate changes that are immediately noticeable. The first is production: where the past two Kreator records (Violent Revolution and Enemy of God) were heavily polished, this album was recorded straight to tape and is as old-school sounding of a record as you're likely to find in this day and age. The second thing you'll notice right away is that the riffs are MONSTROUS when the band let's loose. I can't say enough about how aggressive or intense this album is. Really good stuff. The band, over time, has gotten tighter than back in the glory days of Extreme Aggression, and you can tell on this album because every mistake (and it doesn't sound like there are many) is clearly audible, just like in the old days. This album just sounds tighter than those albums. There are a lot of exceptionally good songs on this record. Not all of them are thrash - "Destroy What Destroys You" sounds horribly out of place because it's a heavy groove song - but most of them are fast, heavy songs that feature some of the biggest thrash riffs in years and some of the best riffs Kreator's played since Coma of Souls. But this CD doesn't quite live up to Coma of Souls or Extreme Aggression. There feels like there's a little too much filler and a little too much modern groove metal influence in there. The chorus to "After Burn" sounds decidedly like In Flames to me, and some of their guitar melodies are a little too Gothenburg-ish, which is a problem that also plagued their last two records. I'm pleased to say it's least noticeable on this record. Jurgen Reil is also a drumming beast and is one of the highlights of this album - as I'm sure many of you know or have guessed, it takes some crazy skills to be able to do an album live like this.

Mille's back to his usual vocal duties, and it's amazing how well his voice has held up. He might not be the best singer ever (let's face it, he doesn't really sing), but he's been doing this for twenty-five years and his voice barely sounds any different from what it did twenty-five years ago. Some of his lyrics are horrible. I wouldn't say any of his lyrics are especially good, but they don't have to be on an album like this - Kreator is about the music and the way the vocals match it more than the lyrics. And the vocals really match it. "Destroy What Destroys You" is a horrible song musically, but vocally, it's a vibrant example of Petrozza's skill and one of his best performances on the album. There isn't a single vocal performance that sounds unbearable, which is better than we can say for some of Kreator's past work.

There are some fantastic songs on this album - it's overall very consistent. I love the title track, and Amok Run is an absolutely epic song. It's not handled as well as Metallica would handle a ballad, but for Kreator, it was a very interesting song and a surprise to hear on the album. Corpses of Liberty is the best interlude I've heard since Shadows Fall put out Threads of Life, and Demon Prince is a very high note to end the album on. Absolute Misanthropy is also a fantastic song. The only song on here that I'm not a big fan of is "Destroy What Destroys You", which just doesn't really seem to fit in a record that's full of aggression. Does the raw production work for this album? I would say it fit's in 90 percent of the time. It's a thin sound that reminds me of Extreme Aggression's production. This album starts on full throttle with the Blackened-esque intro to the opening track and doesn't let up for the rest of the album, and it's arguably the band's most vicious attack since Extreme Aggression. Highly recommended thrash metal with only a hint of modern influences, and one heck of a way to start off 2009.

dave1Mustaine
    ^ Agreed..... anyway you know im a huge kreator fan but i just found this album to sound unnatural it does not sound like the kreator i love, to me it sounds like a shitty mix of mainstream crap wannabe thrash. im sorry people but its just not a good album. nothing sounds even close to extreme aggression and pleasure to kill which are my 2 favorite albums of all time. sorry everyone but this album gets a 2 for me but i still love kreator!
    draco thatus
    If any was disappointed by the sound of any part of this album, whether it's one (or both) of the guitars, or the vocals, or anything, then it should be said that this album was recorded with the intention to be played live. And it worked. I saw Kreator in Fort Worth, Texas, last Thursday and they were amazing. They opened with Hordes of Chaos and it sounded as if someone was blasting the album out of their amps.
    the_burning_one
    yes.. lets all turn this into a metallica discussion. ITS ABOUT THE NEW KREATOR ALBUM. WHICH KICKS A CARTLOAD OF ASS
    nepalihedbanger
    btw metallica WAS a good band. doesnt anyone remember ride the lightning? good album. but of course they sold out. but admit it, early metallica was great!
    nepalihedbanger
    i liked this album especially warcurse and demon prince. warcurse is a beautiful "in your face" song, and demon prince is just plain beautiful. although, i do miss the tone of enemy of god, and of course, the extensive use of A Harmonic minor =)
    3Stepper
    I feel sort of a fag, because I have started to listen to this album more and more and more, compared to all my other kreator albums. The guitar is just great. I felt that Kreator still sounded like good old Kreator; not like some new band. My personal favorite song is Amok Run, just because I feel like I want to go run around and bang my head out. I felt lots of classic thrash and very melodic thrash in the the whole album. On my scale, I gave the album 10/10. I loved it as much as Enemy, Violent Revolution, Coma, Pleasure... and well everything.
    Metalx666xFreak
    All bands start losing their raw thrash touch... I like enemy of god and hordes.... but nothing is better than the old stuff..
    melowar
    Hordes of Chaos is a bit of a step back from Enemy of God but WTF could you expect? It's still a gem and prob going to be in my top 10 for 2009. Highlights for me would be "To The Afterborn","Destroy What Destroys You" and "Amok Run". I like the over all production of the album. It deosn't sound sterile like alot of shit nowadays. Definatly worth buying. Kreator has many thrash classics but I could rank HOC in my top 5. So here it is #1. EOG 2. PTK 3. EA 4. COS 5. HOC
    Kastöm
    ozzynator
    Hordes of Chaos is a Thrash Metal masterpiece !!!!! Kreator at its finest \m/ Warcurse is a beast song, great stuff. its good to see some bands still kicking ass better then ever with their new releases. cant wait to catch their show in april ! ULTRA RIOT !!!!
    BlackSymphony6
    very good album by one of europes best thrash bands. and everyone shut the **** up about bloody metallica, they havent been relavent to metal for nearly 20 years.
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    MoToRhEaD714 wrote: riteso wrote: its ****ed up how metallica are attacked by comments under reviews of bands that are heavier and faster than they are. death magnetic was a friggin good solid album, which is more than i can say for hordes of chaos. heavier and faster does not always make better. metallica were the greatest thrash metal band of all time, regardless of what they sound like now. METALLICA OWNS ALL OF YOU death magnetic was not a good/solid album.It was in pieces. there are parts where you have no choice but to headbang till your brain falls out, but it only lasts for 20 seconds tops. then the song slows down and you can hear how much his vouce was damaged by blowing it out on tour all those years(and how come nobody told lars that his snare sounded like shit during production???). i was at one of their shows recently and james' voice kept blowing out during songs, it sounded like he was going through puberty....and your right, they WERE the greatest thrash band of all time. kr
    MoToRhEaD714
    guitarfreak222
    Kastm wrote: riteso wrote: its ****ed up how metallica are attacked by comments under reviews of bands that are heavier and faster than they are. death magnetic was a friggin good solid album, which is more than i can say for hordes of chaos. heavier and faster does not always make better. metallica were the greatest thrash metal band of all time, regardless of what they sound like now. METALLICA OWNS ALL OF YOU Death Magnetic is a piss poor album, I especially barfed in my trousers upon hearing that so called "instrumental track" which had to be the single worst instrumental I've ever heard in my life.
    ... Metallica were quite good in the 80's and they could be referred as the "best thrash metal band" by many. Hence the word, "were" the greatest thrash metal band. Death magnetic was good but not great..