Phantom Antichrist review by Kreator

• Released: Jun 1, 2012
Kreator: Phantom Antichrist

Kreator took a slightly more progressive approach with "Phantom Antichrist". It stands out from their other albums because of that, but it still has that classic Kreator sound. Everything is mixed perfectly, the vocals, drums, bass and guitars all come out clear and sound great. The guitar is at its all time best in this album as well. Although they might not be flashy, the solos are melodic and fit it in with each song perfectly.

Most of the lyrics dealt with political issues, such as in "Death To The World", which talked about how the human race is killing the Earth ("Mother Earth, the paradise you gave, Mother Earth, all your beauty we have raped"). As far as the vocals go, Petrozza sounds the best he has since "Pleasure To Kill". You can feel so much power and anger from it, which is something I didn't really expect after "Hordes Of Chaos". It sounds like they added a little bit of reverb on the voice too, which always makes for a great sound.

Now I know that "Pleasure To Kill" has always been the Kreator album that has been widely regarded as their best, but I believe this album has surpassed that. It may not be quite as hard hitting and thrashy as "Pleasure To Kill" (although it is quite heavy), but it's much more melodic and memorable. The thing I love about this album is that there isn't a bad song on it. It's hard to say which ones stand out, because each song stands out just as far as the rest. If I had to choose, I would probably say that "From Flood Into Fire" is my favorite song, and "United In Hate" and "Your Heaven, My Hell" are also honorable mentions. I've tried to be critical and find something I disliked about the album, but I simply can't. It is easily the best metal album to come out in the past several years, and it's nice to see a band stay true for so long. If it were stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I would recommend this to anyone who loves metal or is trying to get into it. Amazing album.

EyesWideOpen
    TheJaneTrain wrote: This is so sick. These kinds of bands are what makes kids kill themselves. I am sick of all this violence.... And only sick people listen to them. Find some healthy music to listen to. Despicable.
    Totally... The same way that everyone who watches a horror or gangster movie is a sick twisted and violent person. There's nothing wrong with dark entertainment. The world isn't all happy bunnies, rainbows and sunshine. Some of us like listening to music with themes other than some tosser singing about how bad he feels that his "baby" left him. Don't be a bore. Or so bloody ignorant.
    gibson9009
    Better they people release their fustration and violent feelings through music then through actions. if your sick of violence stay away from metal. its call a mosh pit. good friendly violent fun
    HagstromSpeed
    Not everybody likes what you like and most people don't like conceited people who despise others' passions or tastes. We love metal because of the positive energy it fills us with. The anger you feel is obviously an issue you need to deal with you and your wonderful family you spewed out into this scary existence of angry-metal heads. Furthermore, I love history and metal thematically deals with politics, theology, the human condition, etc....REAL TOPICS; albeit some malevolent, it is what interests me. I also listen to jazz, rock, blues, anything with great guitar and metal happens to have some of the world's finest guitar players and we are all guitar players and not just some trolling-decrepit mother right? I digress...
    genolk
    @TheJaneTrain You're not arguing, you're throwing a bigoted opinion around like it's gospel. Music and lyrics don't make people harm people, PEOPLE harm people... usually the ones who have been tormented by some religious indoctrine. Also if you don't like violence rape, and murder then I'd steer clear of reading the bible. To the rest of the UG readers here, look out!! Tipper Gore is back! We'll have to unleash Dee Snider on her again!!
    GMPX
    What rubbish, I've been listening to thrash & death metal since it came about in the early 80's, I'm fine, I've never harmed anyone, oh, and I'm an atheist. Now you want to talk about unnecessary violence, there is no bigger cause of violence in human existence than religion. Get rid of religion to stop 90% of the worlds violent struggles, not music of any form, well, except boy bands.
    bdof
    Oh get off your high horse Mr. Atheist :-P If you want to put blame on religion, fine. But make sure you put it on the groups that matter: The Fanatics. The ones that scream "God hates fags!", and "If you don't believe in my religion, you'll burn in Hell!", and "Kill every Jew!". Those people are ****ed up in the head and have no morales. Most people that are religious are very caring people that give back to the community. And you should know, there are plenty of awful Athiests out there as well.....
    Pan-Tallica
    Guys, stop it. Talk about the album, the band, the review... This is not the place for religious bickering, and I think most of you know that.
    Scottzar
    Jane, I used to think similarly to how you do now. While getting older, meeting people, and looking at the same things in a different way, I've learned you really can't judge stuff like that. I think it's really stupid when people don't care about their religion, but if there's legitimate effort and struggle to figure it out, it's very respectable, regardless of whether they are right or wrong, which is unfortunately something we won't know until we die. Try to pick out the people who seem to care and talk to them about it. Never just take anything immediately to heart, but consider that no one, including you, knows everything, especially when it comes to religion. It's impossible to know anything for sure. I've swayed between Catholicism and atheism for a while now, and I've discussed it with everyone from devout Catholics to people who firmly believe religion is a scam. It's a huge logical and moral mess that is pretty tough to figure out. Anyone who has ever tried deserves respect, and there's no way of knowing who has based on a first glance, or in this case, commenting on an album review online. To keep the mods happy, Kreator is awesome, and I really love this album. I didn't expect the album to be bad, but man, it beat my expectations by far.
    HaydenHohns
    @TheJaneTrain: As a fan of multiple styles of music, I can tell you that topics like this are also found in 20th Century Classical Music, most specifically Bela Bartok's The Miraculous Mandarin. It is a fantastically complex piece of music and it portrays (it's a Ballet) a night in the life of a tramp, who is attacked by a Mandarin and ends up murdering him. Just thought I'd let you know. I should also say that most people listen to Extreme Metal because of the musicianship and the stark contrasts in sections. Ihsahn is personal favourite of mine. Hope that helps.
    beau05
    Scottzar wrote: Atheism is the belief of no gods or, basically, believing in science's version of how things happen/happened. I consider it a religion too, but it's definitely a belief. You believe something, and don't believe other things, just like any religion.
    Atheist, from the greek word Aethos, is defined as someone who is without god. It isn't the belief there isn't a god, it is the lack of belief in a god, whether it be Mithras, Eastre, Horus, Jupiter, Zeus, Poseidon, or Yahweh. Back on topic, I will most definitely check this album out. I only have Pleasure to kill and Extreme aggression, but this one sounds pretty interesting
    thebigredjj10
    To be on topic, great sounding Kreator album. I find sometimes thrash can get repetitive and less interesting, but recently some really interesting thrash records have come out. I think the genres expanding past its roots while still maintaining it's heavy as sin, fast as f*ck, go to hell and burn everything muthaf*cka attitude. This album is one of those albums I'd put on that list, along with Exodus's Atrocity Exhibition A and B, Testament's Formation of Damnation, Overkill's Immortalis, Kreator's Hordes of Chaos, and Machine Head's Unto the Locust and The Blackening (although they combine thrash with groove).
    HaydenHohns
    I'm trying to say that violence in music has been around long before Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, any of them. Hence I wouldn't blame these bands for anything.
    Countsluggo
    I thought the album was absolutely fantastic. I appreciate the fact that they push themselves to the end of their musical talents to churn out incredible songs. So what if every track isn't straight thrash at 180 bpm, the progressive side to this with long drawn out sections, and the guitar work on this, holy shit!!! Hordes was a decent album to follow up Enemy of God, but this album is better than both of those more recent efforts. Kreator will always kick ass!!!
    suicideiscreams
    TheJaneTrain quote | This is so sick. These kinds of bands are what makes kids kill themselves. I am sick of all this violence.... And only sick people listen to them. Find some healthy music to listen to. Despicable. Ummm...? Dude, sometimes life sucks. Sometimes people sing about it. Sometimes too violently for some peoples tastes.
    Leather Sleeves
    Ignorant comments notwithstanding, this album's incredible. Sure, it's not the same band that released Pleasure to Kill but I like that they can evolve. Definatly the best album they've released since Coma of Souls. This album was probably the biggest surprise of the past few years for me, the playing's so tight, great melodies, there wasn't one song I ever wanted to skip past. GET IT.
    asyermetalhead
    great themes,great lyrics,great sound,it's totally awesome !!!! oh God I love this Kreator's 'Masterpiece'
    EpiExplorer
    I just want to point out that atheism isn't a belief, but a non belief.
    Rick_Kala
    This is basically a perfect thrash metal release. It's got such a modern feel yet it's Kreator and true to their roots all the way. Great job Kreator 10!
    priestfan76
    priestfan76 wrote: TheJaneTrain wrote: So, what do you guys think about Cannibal Corpses? Healthy? Uh uh. Even the names of their songs are about rape, murder, and death. Geez.... healthy upbringing for our kids. See ya, boys.
    Can't tell if troll or just ignorant dumbass Sorry bout the double post
    TheJaneTrain
    Okay, Scott. Thank you for your advice. Sorry everyone for starting an argument. Have fun with your music. All seriousness/no sarcasm. Bye.
    EpiExplorer
    Its like Carcass in the 90's all over again. Good album, title track is a beast, the vocals are a bit so-so.
    Soundservant
    The over melodic aspects on this album bothered me. Overall the album's pretty good but it doesn't even compare to Pleasure To Kill . I doubt they plan on creating that relentless sound again.
    HaydenHohns
    @beau05: It's much more melodic than others. You might not like it if you prefer PtK. Epi is right in saying that the title track is awesome though.
    aelkeris
    I just want to say few things. I belive in God, im Christian. And i love Kreator. I see no problem in their songs. And i really dont understand why Atheists and Religious people alike,are fighting about their personal belifes. There is a reason why they are called personal belifes.
    HollowPoint423
    EpiExplorer wrote: Scottzar wrote: Jane, it's pretty ignorant to say that Atheists are cowards, and that Kreator encourages suicide. Atheism is a set of beliefs, just like Christianity. There is one truth out there about how the world is made, what happens when you die, etc., and it's stupid to say that one person's view of how things are is cowardly. I've struggled for a few years now trying to figure out what's true and what I should believe. It's cowardly to jump on either bandwagon and blindly believe in something, but it's actually quite difficult to narrow down truth and really believe in it. Choosing any religion, or atheism, can be either a very brave or cowardly thing. Don't be so quick to judge what someone is, because you have no idea how much they've worked at being what they are. And I really don't know why you think Kreator makes kids kill themselves. Violent lyrics =/= suicide. I just want to point out that atheism isn't a belief, but a non belief.
    Atheism is a belief whether you want to beleive it or not. Your beliefs are, that you don't beleive in God or religion. I'm not an Atheist or a Church freak, but I do beleive something else is out there. I have my own beliefs and I think everyone does to an extent. If folks don't believe in something, then what's the point?
    TheJaneTrain
    You have your own opinions and I have mine. I won't argue anymore. But don't misjudge me unless you've walked a mile in my shoes. I'm not backing down from what I've said, but I'm leaving this conversation now because obviously I've wasted my time and yours. Forget it. Bye.