Eye To The Telescope review by KT Tunstall

• Released: Feb 7, 2006
KT Tunstall: Eye To The Telescope

My friend introduced me to KT Tunstall. I'm glad he did. After his introuction to her by showing me the song 'suddenly I see' from the album (which he got in february 2005 when it came out, meaning she had no singles then, meaning suddenly I see was a random pick at that time) I went out and bought this album. Well you don't need to know my life story basically but it gave me a good first impression in other words. The second impression when I brought the scottish folk singer/song writers album back was even better. The songs have a pretty consistent jazzy/rocky type of folk feel all the way through and a few ballads stuck in for good measure (fantastic ballads they are too). The album is full of instant catchers like 'Suddenly I see' and 'Black Horse And The Cherry Tree' which have even when I first heard the album and she didn't have the wide public acceptance and hit singles she has now, I knew those 2 tracks would be singles. And they were. That's hit potential for you. That doesn't mean to say the album is just saved by a couple of one hit wonder style songs as the whole album spawned 5 singles and out of all 12 tracks none do I consider a weak track. The album flows at just the right pace from song to song and finishes as elegantly as it started.

My overall impression of the lyrics is very high. They are for the majority well thought out and meaningful. All the tracks have their subject area and KT covers it well with quirky, vivid and powerfully significant truths given birth to by her formidably attractive and just plain wonderful singing voice. The album will take you through a stirring trip of the euphoria as well as hardships of KT's life. A couple of the tracks don't convey this quite as good as the majority on the album do though but there isn't one that doesn't do it really well. But that's one of the albums quirks that helps give it a laid back feel aswell. Seems like the lyrics and vocals were something that in this album KT felt needed to perfect before unleashing them onto the public, and we all love her for it, right guys?

Even though I seem to be widley renowned as a metalhead listening to bands like Cannibal Corpse and Children Of Bodom, KT has won me over with this first-class string of 12 masterful compositions. She is definetely one of my favourite artists. Just goes to show that a talented and shining example of singing/songwriting even stands out to people who wouldn't normally take great interest in that particullar area of music. Prime cuts from this album are hard to pick as they all have their own parts that are worth their merit. BUt if you were looking to take a first step into the world of KT Tunstall I'd recommend checking out one of her singles as they have more of the catch factor. Those are 'Another Place To Fall', 'Suddenly I See', 'Black Horse And The Cherry Tree', 'Under The Weather' and 'Other Side Of The World'. Although I see out of those 5, the former 3 have more of that aforementioned catch. I love everything about this album. It's definetely one of my favourite albums I own or in fact have ever heard. I can't criticise it in any way. Finally I suppose I'll finish with the famous question that takes place at the end of most reviews on ultimate-guitar.com. WHat would I do if it was stolen? If it were stolen I'd be extremely annoyed and would probably buy it again to put it short and raw. But ont eh bright side the word will have spread and I'm sure the thief would have a great time listening to and that's another fan for KT. I highly recommend this album to everyone and anyone.