Eye To The Telescope Review

KT Tunstall: Eye To The Telescope
Release Date: Feb 7, 2006
Label: Virgin/Relentless/EMI
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Singer/Songwriter
If the art of the female singer-songwriter revolves around coffee-table soliloquies then Eye To The Telescope is a pleasing mediation between the traditional demands of brooding egocentricity (espresso) and frothy commerciality (cappuccino).
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.1
 8.7
 9.4
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Eye To The Telescope Reviewed by: t1gr355, on february 18, 2006

Sound: KT Tunstall is a classic, indie-rock singer and guitarist. The first thing that hits you is her voice - fresh, soulful, sexy, and slightly cheeky. Her songs range from the quiet, healing ballads ("Heal Over" & "Through The Dark"), to the daring, rocky numbers ("Suddenly I See" & "Another Place To Fall"), each one brillianty outlining a different emotion, story or character. There are quite a few things that make this CD different to any other artist in her genre. Firstly, she forefronts each track with her own voice and guitar - this album is purely her, not marred by huge inputs from other artists. Secondly, there is a slight soulful edge to each track that will keep it playing through your head for years. However, there are some songs that don't quite live up to the standard. "Through The Dark" was a bad choice, and as the last track, needs to be stronger. At the moment, it is just a floaty piano piece portraying nothing significant. Other not-so-strong tracks include "Universe & U" and "False Alarm," but these may not sound brilliant simply because they are mixed up with the brilliance of tracks such as "Suddenly I See" and "Another Place To Fall." I came across this album after I heard a street musician playing "Heal Over" in Norwich city centre. After many months of searching, the album still evaded my grasp - I did not realise back then that it was because although the album and first single "False Alarm" had been released, she had not yet been recognized for her true talents. After the release of "Black Horse And The Cherry Tree" however, things began to look up. I soon got my hands on a copy, and since then it has become the soundtrack to my life. // 6

Lyrics: As I have said, each songs brilliantly outlines a different emotion and while some may not be musically at par with the others, lyrically they are on the level. And a very high level at that. The lyrics are not straight-forward, this-is-what-I'm-saying lyrics - they make you think about the words, trying to figure out what she's saying. When it eventually hits you, you realise that the chase has released something totally new in the song. Although sometimes they may not fit in completely with the music, there is a well-established connection between the two. Amazingly poignant though sometimes a little confusing, the lyrics are something to be proud of. As for KT's voice, she is just as good live as she is on record. She really gives it her all, and you can feel the emotion straining in her voice to be released. // 9

Overall Impression: This is right up there with any other indie/rock album. Although her style takes a little getting-used-to, this is worth the money. The best songs are by far "Another Place To Fall," "Suddenly I See" and "Heal Over." They are way beyond the class of the other tracks, which slightly makes the rest of the album look bad. I love the fact that she writes, plays and sings all of her songs herself - there's no pretending. I hate the fact that three tracks let the whole album down! She has a vast collection of her own music she could have chosen, but I suppose she had her reasons. If I lost this, I would buy it again, without a doubt. Although she may be a little inconsistent, I love her lyrics, sound and style, and will continue to respect her music until I have good reason to do otherwise. // 7

Eye To The Telescope Reviewed by: Sceptile_Master, on july 13, 2006

Sound: My friend introduced me to KT Tunstall. I'm glad he did. After his introuction to her by showing me the song 'suddenly I see' from the album (which he got in february 2005 when it came out, meaning she had no singles then, meaning suddenly I see was a random pick at that time) I went out and bought this album. Well you don't need to know my life story basically but it gave me a good first impression in other words. The second impression when I brought the scottish folk singer/song writers album back was even better. The songs have a pretty consistent jazzy/rocky type of folk feel all the way through and a few ballads stuck in for good measure (fantastic ballads they are too). The album is full of instant catchers like 'Suddenly I see' and 'Black Horse And The Cherry Tree' which have even when I first heard the album and she didn't have the wide public acceptance and hit singles she has now, I knew those 2 tracks would be singles. And they were. That's hit potential for you. That doesn't mean to say the album is just saved by a couple of one hit wonder style songs as the whole album spawned 5 singles and out of all 12 tracks none do I consider a weak track. The album flows at just the right pace from song to song and finishes as elegantly as it started. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics is very high. They are for the majority well thought out and meaningful. All the tracks have their subject area and KT covers it well with quirky, vivid and powerfully significant truths given birth to by her formidably attractive and just plain wonderful singing voice. The album will take you through a stirring trip of the euphoria as well as hardships of KT's life. A couple of the tracks don't convey this quite as good as the majority on the album do though but there isn't one that doesn't do it really well. But that's one of the albums quirks that helps give it a laid back feel aswell. Seems like the lyrics and vocals were something that in this album KT felt needed to perfect before unleashing them onto the public, and we all love her for it, right guys? // 10

Overall Impression: Even though I seem to be widley renowned as a metalhead listening to bands like Cannibal Corpse and Children Of Bodom, KT has won me over with this first-class string of 12 masterful compositions. She is definetely one of my favourite artists. Just goes to show that a talented and shining example of singing/songwriting even stands out to people who wouldn't normally take great interest in that particullar area of music. Prime cuts from this album are hard to pick as they all have their own parts that are worth their merit. BUt if you were looking to take a first step into the world of KT Tunstall I'd recommend checking out one of her singles as they have more of the catch factor. Those are 'Another Place To Fall', 'Suddenly I See', 'Black Horse And The Cherry Tree', 'Under The Weather' and 'Other Side Of The World'. Although I see out of those 5, the former 3 have more of that aforementioned catch. I love everything about this album. It's definetely one of my favourite albums I own or in fact have ever heard. I can't criticise it in any way. Finally I suppose I'll finish with the famous question that takes place at the end of most reviews on ultimate-guitar.com. WHat would I do if it was stolen? If it were stolen I'd be extremely annoyed and would probably buy it again to put it short and raw. But ont eh bright side the word will have spread and I'm sure the thief would have a great time listening to and that's another fan for KT. I highly recommend this album to everyone and anyone. // 10

Comments