KT Tunstall's Acoustic Extravaganza Review

Label: Relentless, Virgin
 8.3
 9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
KT Tunstall's Acoustic Extravaganza Reviewed by: kttunstallator3, on june 30, 2009

Sound: When I listen to music, of course, it has to sound good. Shouldn't settle for less. I look at the range of the vocalist, the skills of the players, and what makes the band unique in their own way. Are they simply just another "photocopy" of an original band/group/artist who have already "been there, done that?" KT Tunstall is certainly not the case. KT Tunstall's music, to be put generally is like a laid-back acoustic folk scene. Having said that, this album in particular is one of my favs because I mainly play acoustic guitar, and KT with her band caters to that; with nothing but acoustic instruments (no electric guitars, added effects, etc.) It's nice to sometimes sit down and take a deep breath and release as you listen to soothing sounds from this CD and you can point out the instruments being used skillfully. Including a cover of Beck's "Golden Age" and renditions of her songs(like "Gone To The Dogs" and "Change", off of her never released demo album, "Tracks In July", "Universe & U" and "Miniature Disasters" [like this version better] on "Eye To The Telescope." The instruments used were the acoustic guitar(KT), slide guitar(Sam Lewis), Organ(Kenny Dickenson), a backup vocalist, Double Bass(Arnulf Linder) and drums and percussion(Luke Bullen). // 9

Lyrics: I was taken aback by her use of lyrics that both made sense and fit together with the whole message. I feel that anyone can relate to it. As KT once said before about one of her albums(Eye To The Telescope) she made note that the CD was like aliens taking the album, which was the summary of life on Earth. Surely this can mean the same for this album. So I definetly loved the lyrics. You can feel her anguish, love, sadness, happiness, or just singing to you. KT developed her voice when she was little and listened to a Ella Fitzgerald cassette tape that her music teacher gave her. Her voice can be described as jazzy, bluesy, calm, gritty, and raw. // 6

Overall Impression: When people make comparisons among bands, I honestly don't like it unless the band who influenced that other band are equally good and has something to show about themselves. Acoustic Extravaganza is a great treasure, and if considering to buy it, should purchase it with the DVD included. The DVD is wonderful, it has a short "documentary" KT is talking into the camera while she's doing stuff around the house or something. She's narrating it in the background. This is cool, it takes you back before Drastic Fantastic and Black Horse and the Cherry Tree. The songs that I like are Ashe(the only reason why this album has a parental advisory sticker for explicit lyrics), Girl and the Ghost(like the climax of the song towards the chorus), One Day, majorly love Golden Age, Miniature Disasters(you have to listen to this version!), Gone To The Dogs, and Throw Me A Rope. I probably named most of the songs, but that's how good it is! I love the fact that KT brings back that warm, full sound of nothing but acoustic. You don't need effects and other crap to cover up the music. With this album, you can hear the bass, guitar, drums and percussion, and ultimately KT's pure, honest, original melting voice. You feel as if she's in the same room with you. And none of the songs are fillers either, which gives me a chance to say "halleujah!" THe only thing that I would say doesn't settle with me is the song, Universe & U. I also like the version on Eye To The Telescope, but if only KT incorporated the finger-plucking guitars and the electric guitar. Then it would satesfy me. Por Supuesto! of course I would buy the CD again if something happened to it. // 10

Comments