Revenge Of The King [EP] Review

7.7
 6.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Revenge Of The King [EP] Reviewed by: cal?!, on march 20, 2007

Sound: Goin into Crawleys HMV I came across the K section. Not really expecting to find any new Kula Shaker albums that I haven't already got. Lookin down I cam across there comeback EP, ok it's been 5 years without them but 5 years after announcing a split & new material. Not the best EP ever but the sounf od the first track titled 'Revenge Of The King' gives you the idea that they back for good. I heard of this EP a couple of times after it's release but nowhere to be foun apart from bloody itunes. After promising a new album release in February this year dissapointment came around after it was slated for a spring release. Impression: SOTSOG is not a bad album, but it was good enough to keep them alive in the music business. I think that's respectable. I hear once in a while that some people say this is the best album Oasis has ever released, but I guess it is just because either this is a very good album (in their opinion), they have bad taste, or they just didn't listen to Oasis before they bought it. It doesn't really matter what the reason is, because Oasis remains as one of the greatest bands ever and that's all that matters. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are just average, but still show Crispian Mills still has loads of musical talent. 'Revenge Of The King' sees an eastern promise starting of the song then flowing into a heavy rock guitar riff, showing resemblance to Depeche Mode's 'Personal Jesus'. The guitar solo shares Bloc Partyesque kind of psychadelic pitch shifter sound crossed with Guns N Roses' 'Paradise City'. Crispian seems that he's written about a fallen hero coming to take on evil but just before the arrival someone spreading the word around that the King is back. Dictator Of The Free World shares a resemblance to '303's' intro, but obviously not opened by a wah wah guitar but a wah wah sing. Sounding quite like Kasabians 'Me Plus One' this song offers a psychadelic 'Austin Powers' swing to it. The lyircs 'I'm an A1 sociapath/My Daddy's in oil, and my life is gas/It's good to be King gives you the image of a spoilt but successful person getting what he wants. The guitar solo shares T-Rex like '20th Century Boy' sound. Troubadour sounds rather like 'Start All Over' mixed with some Beatles tunes. With again an Austin Powers high on marujuana image. Six Feet Down, don't ask me why but the riff seems to ramind me of skating film 'Lord Of Dogtown: Legend Of The Z Boys is another psycahdelic sound with the lyrics I am six feet down in an open grave/living dead shuffling through my brain. This probably talks about the regrets of spltting the great band but being rescued by a hero they look up to that convinced him to get back together. The chorus blends in nicely with a chika chika sound on guitar which goes into another chorus then into a 'sunny New York day Oasis solo' bring back memories from 2000's Oasis album SOTSOG 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants'. The outro of the solo blends nicely into another verse which goes into a bridge with the guitars slowing down giving of a 'Hey Dude' outro vibe with the lyrics For laying me hear, the end is nig/And I feel no fear leave the crashing of Paul Winterhart's symbols with strums of guitar, bass, and newbie Harry Broadbent's (replacing Jay Darlington on keyboards) during the the 2 lined bridge makes you feel relaxed but earging to thrash out more at the same time. Govinda (Live Session), the sanskrit legend is back but live. // 7

Overall Impression: This abum most certainly compares to their earlier stuff from 'K' & 'Peasents, Pigs & Astronauts'. I would also say that it compares to an Oasis 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants/Heathen Chemistry' vibe. What I love about this album is that it's a fresh restart for Kula Shaker, one BritPop band leaving but another 'Oasis' taking over the psychadelia reigns to make sure it lives on. It also shows the band have a lot of life left in them. I didn't hate much about this album apart from the line in 'Dictator Of The Free World' I'm a dic/I'm a dic/I'm a dictator of the free world, not too sure if that was intentional or not & track 3. Troubadour didn't float my bout that much but I spose it depends on ehat mood of psychadelia you like. The most impressive songs on the EP are 'Revenge Of The King', 'Dictator Of The Free World', 'Six Feet Down' & 'Govinda (Live Session)'. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again but it'd be pretty dammned hard to find since it's a Japanese import & the only one in HMV at the time. Also I have all the tracks ripped onto my Media Player so I wouldn't give a shit. // 5

Comments