Blues For The Red Sun Review

Kyuss: Blues For The Red Sun
Released: Jun 30, 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Stoner Metal
With guitars tuned way down and amps turned way up, Kyuss's deafening assault switches from light to hammering in a blink on some tracks, while slowly building on others.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.6
 9.3
 9.9
 1,045
Blues For The Red Sun Reviewed by: Heiser42, on april 17, 2009

Sound: At the same time as the great grunge boom of the early 90's was in progress, there was another great sound coming from out west. Developed from detuned guitars played through bass amps and holding parties in the California deserts underneith the stars while the guitar and bass amps were powered by generators! This was the much fabled Palm Desert Scene. Though no band from this particular region ever really had much mainstream success, many of them had a great cult following and even evolved into acts that became bigger than they would've imagined. This CD, probably the best and certainly most influential album to come out of this scene, was concieved by the mighty Kyuss, one of the heaviest bands there. This album is a nice rush from the opening guitar line of Thumb to the last word spoken on the album, Yeah! The guitars are very smooth, simple, and most certainly, very very heavy. Josh Homme is the guitar player who later went on to have very nice critical acclaim with his next and current band, Queens of the Stone Age. The drums, nothing to say really, except that they're very powerful and commanding. Bront Bjork, the drummer, certainley had a nice control of the rythum section along with Nick Oliveri aqnd his distorted and pounding bass lines and solos. And finally there's John Garcia, the vocalist who was either drunk or stoned while performing. Despite this, he has a nice, raspy voice that fit's the genre and album perfectly. With this sort of Palm Desert All-Star lineup, Kyuss showed the rest of the country and even a little bit of mainstream crowd just what stoner metal and powerful music is all about, which to most, hasn't been seen since Zeppelin or Sabbath ruled the rock and roll world. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are like the music behind them, pretty simple. They go together just perfectly. Garcia's and Homme's lyrics deal with everything frombeing burned with lighters, insanity, and of course, drugs and sex. All of these themes coupled with a drunken and stoned man's voice really just go well and just makes you want to listen. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison with some of the other stoner bands from the period, such as Fu Man Chu and Sleep, I would have to say that Kyuss just rose above everybody in terms of guitars, lyrics, and accessability. Everything just clicks well together and it just dosent stop. Some key songs are the opener, Thumb, the single, Green Machine, Thong Song, the quick instrumental song, Caterpillar March, Capsized, Allen's Wrench, and of course, Mondo Generator. All of the songs are great though. I just love how heavy everything is. It kinda gives you a feel for where they came from. A heavy and stoned place. If someone stole this from me, I would definatley buy it again. It's most certainley worth every single penny. // 10

Blues For The Red Sun Reviewed by: smb, on february 09, 2005

Sound: For their second outing, and their first with proper production behind them, this Palm Desert four-piece band went for a larger and more professional sound. You can tell they're using better equipment this time around, and you can hear how guitarist Josh Homme has improved his technique. There's a lot of variety on offer, with some fast paced and doomy Sabbath-like riffage (50 Million Year Trip, Mondo Generator) to accoustic intervals (Capsised). However the stand-out song has to be Thong Song, with its periods of silence followed by a crushing, detuned and percussive riff. // 10

Lyrics: Kerrang! once described John Garcia's lyrics as "those of a man several sand dunes short of a desert", and you wouldn't listen to a Kyuss song for your pearls of wisdom or moral guidance. What you get is a singer with a mellow toned voice providing the perfect antidote to the heavy riffs. You won't remember what he says (the chorus to Thong Song is "Whoa yeah, I don't even care! Whoa yeah, I go over there!") Aside from the stoned ramblings of Garcia, on Mondo Generator you get bassist Nick Oliveri screaming out indecipherable lines through some heavy distortion. The track itself is named after drummer Brant Bjork's nickname for Nick's bass amp (pictured inside the cover). // 8

Overall Impression: If you quite like Queens Of The Stone Age but wish they were heavier, this is the record for you. It sounds like early days Sabbath, but with a mellow streak and more variety between songs than you'll find on Paranoid. There aren't many solos and the lyrics aren't the best in the world, but the band seem to play together so well. Brant Bjork on drums is never short of imagination (think Bonham). I've never found someone who wasn't impressed by this record, whatever their tastes. The album that kickstarted stoner rock is a must for any hard rock/metal fan's collection. // 10

Blues For The Red Sun Reviewed by: Freysi21, on august 16, 2006

Sound: The sound of it is really smooth and cool and does get heavy at it's own way. And if your looking for music wich gets you completely at ease this is the album. I am metal fan and listen to heavy stuff and kind of new to stoner rock but this one is really good to get you relaxed. // 9

Lyrics: I'm not a lyric fan of this band they aren't that deep and the band is mostly about the melodie in my oppinion. But they fit with the music and the singer is quite good he has good vocal control and I don't think there is a better singer for this band. // 8

Overall Impression: Kyuss is very original and isn't compared to any other albums other albums are compared to them. If your just starting in stoner rock I'd advise you to start listening to something else cause if you start at this album anything else won't be good enough for you. I look most for good riffs so I'd say Mondo Generator (kind of heavy but keeps under the relaxing bar but gives you a little rebellion feeling), Thumb(really good, really gives me a mystery feeling) and Apothecaries' Weight (just a beutiful song but breaks out in the ending). Love the sound of this album what I hate about it is that I can't get it. I'm not sure about buying it again cause it would be stolen again cause it's to good. // 9

Comments