Welcome To Sky Valley review by Kyuss

• Released: Jun 28, 1994
Kyuss: Welcome To Sky Valley

The sound on Kyuss's third (I think that's what it is, not including the EP) album is like nothing else you'll ever hear, even on their other albums. The drums use the crash around 80 percent of the time, the vocals are edgy and well executed, and of course the guitar and bass work is very good. Josh Homme has some of the most far-out ideas for riffs and solos, yet they always seem to work (listen to Whitewater and Supa Scoopa And The Mighty Scoop). The guitars and basses are tuned down to C, so obviously, the album is very heavy. The songs on the album average around six minutes, and the closing number is over 8 minutes long. However, the album never seems to let up. Not a single note is filler, and Josh Homme's guitar work is out of this world. Or at least it better be, because I'd say at least half of this album is instrumental. The songs on the album range from fast, almost early Metallica-ish stuff, to slow, psychedelic desert blues, and every style on the album is executed near perfectly.

This album is more about the instrumentation than about the lyrics, but I would say that they serve their purpose. They talk about a lot of melancholy sort of things, but John Garcia's voice is pure gold, so it doesn't matter how little sense they make. The lyrical highlight of the album would be Supa Scoopa And The Mighty Scoop.

This is one of my favorite albums. I think that it is epic. I have no clue why, but Whitewater (the closing song on the album) is just amazing, and the album seems to have some sort of overarching theme that I can't seem to get, but if you listen to it as much as I do, you feel something's different about this album. The only small complaint about the album that I have about the album isn't even the music, it is they way the tracks are formatted. The album has ten songs on it, but if you get it on CD, there are only 4 tracks. This is intentional, Josh Homme claimed that the band "just wanted it to be like hell to play on a CD player.". So if you're like me, and like to play along to tracks, you'll have a slightly hard time trying to play specific songs on the album. But I know how to play every song on the album, so it's fine by me. My favorite songs on the album (in order of favorite to least favorite) are: 1. Whitewater 2. Supa Scoopa And The Mighty Scoop 3. Demon Cleaner 4. N.O. 5. Gardenia 6. Space Cadet 7. Asteroid 8. Conan Troutman 9. Odyssey 10. 100 Degrees