Wretch review by Kyuss

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Kyuss: Wretch

The first album Kyuss did. The band creates af dirty, hard sound with therir sloppy bass and fast guitar. The sound can get a little to blurry because of Josh Guitar is tuned down in a C tuning. This albums goes from fast hard rock songs as "HWY 74 (The Beginning Of What's About To Happen)" to slow stoner rock as "Son Of A B--ch." However the slow dirty sound that Kyuss I known by is not such a big part of the "Wretch" album. People who like the Deep sound from "blues for the red sun" (1992) or "Welcome To Sky Valley" (1993 or 1994) might get disappointed because Josh's guitar is not played through a bass amp as on the next 3 albums Kyuss did. On every track you'll find a solo or two. Josh makes the soloing great and smooth and the riffs fast and hard. There's nothing to complain about. The bass gets to blurry and deep. Some might like this and some might not. Kyuss is the only place where a bass like this fits. Well allround Kyuss creates a dirty sound with style but it can get to blurry. Kyuss, the first step towards stoner rock.

The lyrics is dark. Not like kill kill kill but more in a way of disgrace. However a song like "Love Has Passed Me By" the lyrics is attacking and furious. The same thing on "Son Of A B--ch." Well the name of that song tells it all. I miss the happy surfer lyrics from "Fu Manchu" still this is Kyuss. As far as I know Kyuss pronuncht just like Chaos. The lyrics is chaos from the heart of Kyuss.

Their sound has sometimes been compares with Black Sabbath however I would say that Kyuss is one unique example of a band that makes this kind of music. From the impressive start/intro, HWY 74 to the slow hard Son Of A B--ch and back on with more fast track, there is no doubt this is of and running. When it first hits the CD-player you will put it back on. It's hard to pic a best and or a worst song from this album 'cause all of the tracks rocks and no doubt this album is worth bying together with the rest of the albums from Kyuss.

Rossticles
    imense band what an album but josh did use a base amp as well as a guitar amp for his albums
    Saf1
    It's hard to see how Kyuss went from Wretch to all-out stoner albums, I mean these songs are fast-paced, standard-tuning rock songs, there are few hints of their future sound on this album really.
    sid9102
    Just got it. Bleedin amazing. Literally. My ears are bleeding from the crazy biker party in my skull.
    miauwmjam
    Sons of Kyuss is a better album than this one. And it features Happy Birthday.