Wildlife review by La Dispute

• Released: Oct 4, 2011
La Dispute: Wildlife

I have been listening to this band for around a year or two now and I must say this album is quite a big step-up in many dimensions to their sophomore release "Vancouver". This band is a "post-hardcore". I am going to use that term lightly by the way, but La Dispute delivers a chaotic, frantic but yet subtle quiet at times sort of sound with some of the most emotional thought provoking lyrics I have ever heard delivered with a spoken word style vocals. The single thing that sets this band from other bands in the post-hardcore genre is the sound, its not the typical "Rise Records" scream some lines followed by a breakdown and insanely clean auto-tunned vocals. These guys sound similar to bands like Touche Amore, defeater, pianos become teeth and when I listen to their albums I always get this senses of a more experimental Fugazi.

This band has some of the best lyrics you will ever find in the genre, and the most unique singer out there too. The way the singer Jordan Dreyer compiles these songs it is truly amazing it is like each song is a mini novel, you will go through a verse with the most amazing rhyme's then to a gentle story telling style with a quiet voice that is so urgent you are just waiting for him to explode. Some of these tracks that really stand out to me on this record lyrically are "A Departure", "St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church Blues" and "Edward Benz, 27 Times".

This album is truly amazing and for any fan of La Dispute or Touche Amore style of post-hardcore. This band is signed to Run For Cover Records which is one of the if not the best label out there right now in my opinion. I very rarely buy hard copy's of records anymore, maybe 6 a year and I will definitely be buying this and I suggest everyone to also, it might take a while for it to grow on you but it will deliver.

JD.15
    probably one of my all time favourite albums, they kill it live too.
    Taargus
    Vancouver was their first release. Just sayin'. Also, this is a really awesome album. I couldn't recommend it more. It's just great. However, I still prefer Vega and Altair.
    GREENWARRI0R
    Yeah, as Taargus said Vancouver is their first release. Anyway, I feel they have matured quite a bit with this release. This is much better than anything they have ever done.