As The Palaces Burn review by Lamb of God

• Released: May 6, 2003
Lamb of God: As The Palaces Burn

This thrash metal album has enough grind to clean off rusty bumpers; super heavy distortion. Willie Adler and Mark Morton really know how to shred up a fretboard. Like I said, this album is good old american thrash metal, and not for the faint of heart. It's likely to scare younger listeners.

The lyrics on ATPB are pretty good for this genre. It's not all about killing people or the usual thrash metal topics. The lyrics in 11th Hour are mindblowing. In it, Randy Blythe uses amazing metaphors to explain alchoholism like a demoness. Some of the other topics involve George W. Bush and his blunders overseas, as in Vigil. Randy has an amazing screaming voice in this album, the best range I've heard so far.

This is pretty much the best album by Lamb of God (I would know, I own all three). The standout songs are Ruin, As The Palaces Burn, 11th Hour, A Devil In God's Country, and Vigil. I think this album could have used some louder drum and bass, because they are barely audible. If it was stolen, I would buy three more copies, just in case. This album is the shazbot.