As The Palaces Burn review by Lamb of God

• Released: May 6, 2003
Lamb of God: As The Palaces Burn

Great band, great songs that will definetly stand the test of time and will end up being metal classics. Lots of very heavy, palm-muted groove metal type riffs from guitarists Mark Morton and Willie Adler and truly amazing and original drumming by drum master Chris Adler. I'd like to say that it it was definetly a good $14 spent.

The lyrics are very original, and very THRASH. If I had heard just the album's lyrics, without hearing the songs themselves, I would say right away that this is a thrash metal band. In terms of subject, As The Palaces Burn mostly covers topics such as religion and politics. VERY thrash metal. The vocalist and lyricist, Randy Blythe, is definetly an expert at what he does. He has one of the greatest guttural vocal techniques I have ever heard ever since I started listening to metal when I was 10. His screams vary from his original low, dog bark-sounding growls and high shreaks and screams which he has obviously mastered quite well in the previous Lamb of God albums.

This album is definetly comparable to other artist, but it is far superior. Lamb of God's originality is far superior from most other bands of its era or generation. Take the band Chimaira, for example. Chimaira is quite possibly also a groove metal band, but their overall sounds is not as heavy as Lamb of god, as hard as they try to make it. The best songs on the album are Ruin, As The Palaces Burn, 11th Hour and Vigil. The perfect example of LOG's originality is Vigil. Covering religion, it starts out with a clean, peaceful intro, but turns into a loud, heavy, sacrilegious masterpiece. I love this album. I would definetly buy it again, it is a classic. The only thing I hate about the album is the way it was produced. Randy Blythe's voice is nowhere near loud enough.