Ashes of the Wake review by Lamb of God

• Released: Aug 31, 2004
Lamb of God: Ashes of the Wake

This is the band's 3rd release as the band Lamb Of God and argueably their best effort yet. The production on this record has much improved in comparison to their previous 2, making it much more enjoyable in my opinion. On this record, you can tell the band has matured in the songwriting process, tracks such as "Hourglass" and "Blood Of The Scribe" show this more mature sound that Lamb of God is developing. This album is based guitar-wise on alot of chromatic riffing and lines, which makes it a bit more darker, Testament/Slayer influenced perhaps. What I really enjoy about this record is how the guitar riffs can be technical, but very listenable. Great songwriting, musical drumming, great vocal interaction, and better production. Buy this record, one of the best metal releases of 2004.

Singers skills: Exellent. His highs and lows both are very good, and has his own signature sound in my opinion. His lowest growling is probably towards the end of the song "Break You" while his highest vocal pattterns are towards the beginning of "Now You've Got Something To Die For" I think he has great range, and his rhythmic interaction with the instrumental make the song much more intense and more noticeable. One of my favorite albums, vocally, in metal.

This album is something that will always do it for me. Every second off this record is awesome. There is no doubt in my mind, that this album may someday be influential to bands 10 years from now, as At The Gates influenced bands with their "Gothenburg" melodic thrash metal. Really, all the tracks are impressive, but at first listen, I would pick "Hourglass," "The Faded Line" and "One Gun." If you haven't heard this album, but aren't sure if you want to purchase it, listen to those three to get an idea of the album's sound. A phenomenal record that I won't ever forget.

bass_emagdnim
    GuitarGeek706. There's no other word for ya than friggin' crazy! Lamb of God are one of the bands keeping true metal alive! The sheer inventiveness in this album is mindblowing: the riffs, the lyrics, the drums and the sheer range and tone of randy's voice is nothing short of genius.
    jwb89
    GuitarGeek706, you must be ****ing crazy. This album has got to be the best metal album in recent years. Lamb of God truly deliver the goods. Thier a lot better than other pussy bands that pass for metal such as Killswitch Engage,Atreyu or As I lay Dying.