Ashes of the Wake review by Lamb of God

• Released: Aug 31, 2004
Lamb of God: Ashes of the Wake

This CD has some of the best sound I've ever heard in an album. Chris Alder worked some insane drum beats and fills into the music, and John Campbell played more of the melody along with Willie and Mark. The guitars put in harmonized parts that really complimented Randy Blythe's growling, and the bass sounded very crunchy, to go along with the drums. And unlike As the Palaces Burn, you could actually hear the drums and bass clearly. 01. Laid To Rest - one of my favorite songs on this album, it mixes in overlapping guitar and bass, along with awesome drums to back it all up. 02. Hourglass - this song really got me obsessed with Lamb of God. There's a lot of different changes that make it better to listen to, instead of the same riffs over and over again. This song also has an awesome bass part, and being a bass player myself, this song sure did keep me busy for a while. 03. Now You've Got Something To Die For - I never really liked this song at first, but after listening to it for a while, all of the fast changes and screaming vocals just got to me. 04. The Faded Line - this is another song that I didn't like at first, but the mini chromatic scales and constant double bass drumming changed my mind. Even though it is pretty repetitive, it's still a cool song. 05. Omerta - for a slow song, it kicks ass pretty hard. The very beginning makes you wonder what Omerta really means, and Randy's high pitched screaming really compliments the guitars. 06. Blood Of The Scribe - this song has some of the coolest guitars I've heard in a long time. The bass sounds very good playing along with the melody, and the drums hold all of it in place. 07. One Gun - a pretty good song, with droning guitars and constant mind blowing drumming. 08. Break You - a very good song, with amazing guitar and bass. Randy really shows his range of voice in this song too, from is low rumbling to his high pitched growly screaming. 09. What I've Become - I really don't like this song. Too different in sound from the rest of the album. It would've sounded better on Sacrament, I think. 10. Ashes Of The Wake - this song is amazing. When I first heard it I was just blown away by all of the crunching bass, blaring guitar solos, and awesome drums. I've probably listened to it over a hundred times now. If your a guitar or bass player, this song will frustrate you out of your mind at first, but once you get a hang of it, it's just amazing. 11. Remorse Is For The Dead - my absolute favorite song on this album, it starts out slow and creepy, but then builds up into a... I don't know how to explain it. A great finishing song, though, the way it ends at a decresendo.

Because of this album, Lamb of God is my new favorite band. Randy's screaming voice is the most unique I've ever heard from a band, unlike Howard Jones' more ordinary screaming or Corey Taylor's infuriated screams and growls. Growling goes along with the crunch of the other instruments very well, I think. Much better then melodic singing or loud yelling, like Shadows Fall. Besides the singing going along with the music, this album is uber-political. Take Ashes of the Wake, even though there's only like 30 seconds of vocals in the whole song, they really reflect the war in Iraq and what we're doing to the people there. It seems like the new trend for bands these days is to spread the word against politicians and the government. But who cares, it makes good music.

This album defietly lives up to the standards I had after As The Palaces Burn. The sound, the singing, the meaning, and even the cover art. The cover art is freakin awesome, in my opinion. This album completely destroys all thoughts I had of other albums from different artists that I thought were amazing. I still can't believe the songs Ashes Of The Wake, Hourglass, and Remorse Is For The Dead. Of the whole album, those songs probably had the best sound, screaming, and the deepest meaning. The only thing I didn't like about this album was What I've Become. I still think it would've sounded better on Sacrament or even New American Gospel. If I lost this album, then I would definetly spend all of my money getting another copy plus maybe 10 other backup copies, just in case I lost it again.

ParkerScks
    who the **** is that guitargeek? willie and mark would out play him with there teeth to be quite honest. and he hasnt even given a reason as to why he gave it a bad review... just "it sucks" ****ing metal head wannabie little mummas boy
    extrememetal129
    jesussowns : Dude it sounds like this guy thinks slipknot and metallica are bands you can put in the same category as lamb of god. There is a genre for bands like metallica and slipknot. Its called,gay. I mean,metallica are cool sure. Just as cool as britney spears and robbie williams. Fuck-ing cool. Not. James Hetfield is useless and so is Kirk Hammet. Everyone says,ok then mr smarty pants (in a queer voice cos anyone who defends metallica is queer) if you're so much better than James Hetfield,how come hes so famous and you're not? The only reason 90% of famous people are famous its because they knew someone who hooked them up big time. End of story. Lamb of God are ****in metal to the core. Try call it something else. Metalcore is for pussies. Or you could just stop being queer and listen to something like Nile or Cannibal Corpse. Jesus i hate people who go on about genres trying to tell me that lamb of god arent metal. I guess that makes Slipknot DEATH METAL aye faggots? Go **** your mother. Lamb of God kick ****in ass. Their solos are perhaps a bit quiet,but they're better than most of the shit the modern industry is churning. I mean,****in fallout boy is some killer music. Very cool. And im ****in jesus. First thing how can you say st. anger is gay. Only gay people will know and you my friend are on. Second cannibal corpse is the most overrated death band in the world. They sold out. Try listenig to real death metal like my dying fetus, suffocation, morbid angel, death,etc. And last thing falloutboy is a shit. metallica and even slipknot!!!!! are million times. I am saying this even I had slipnot a lot.
    extrememetal129
    jesussowns : Dude it sounds like this guy thinks slipknot and metallica are bands you can put in the same category as lamb of god. There is a genre for bands like metallica and slipknot. Its called,gay. I mean,metallica are cool sure. Just as cool as britney spears and robbie williams. Fuck-ing cool. Not. James Hetfield is useless and so is Kirk Hammet. Everyone says,ok then mr smarty pants (in a queer voice cos anyone who defends metallica is queer) if you're so much better than James Hetfield,how come hes so famous and you're not? The only reason 90% of famous people are famous its because they knew someone who hooked them up big time. End of story. Lamb of God are ****in metal to the core. Try call it something else. Metalcore is for pussies. Or you could just stop being queer and listen to something like Nile or Cannibal Corpse. Jesus i hate people who go on about genres trying to tell me that lamb of god arent metal. I guess that makes Slipknot DEATH METAL aye faggots? Go **** your mother. Lamb of God kick ****in ass. Their solos are perhaps a bit quiet,but they're better than most of the shit the modern industry is churning. I mean,****in fallout boy is some killer music. Very cool. And im ****in jesus Fucking *****. Metallica are granddaddies of LOG. They say that metallica were their influences. Death metal is the music for pussies like a god said, Slayer. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. If you want to listen to real brutal metal, go listen to darkthrone, mayhem and burzum. Wait, damage inc>>>>>than every shit cannibal corpse has put out after mid 90's. You think playing pinch harmonics is a talent. You are a faggot. Any one can play with a little practice.
    Krauser
    What I don't understand was how many people disliked What I've Become. I really loved that track and thoroughly enjoy playing it on guitar. It was actually one of my favorite tracks on the album which is definately on my list of favorite albums ever. Just found it interesting that so many people disliked and found What I've Become unecessary.
    wildchild6660
    To the guy who wrote the review at the top: Dude, LoG is a great band, but their lyrics are NOT better than System of a Down.