Ashes of the Wake review by Lamb of God

• Released: Aug 31, 2004
Lamb of God: Ashes of the Wake

The best way to describe this album heavy. Sorry, no other way to say it. A lot of people describe Lamb of God's sound as nu-metal but the first time I listened to their songs I thought I was listen to a death metal album and I don't see why anyone whose into metal in general should not like it. The drumming is pretty impressive and the guitar playing is very original. You'll never hear riffs like from any other band. Case and point is Ashes of the wake. Pretty cool solos too and they also play some weird chord shapes occasionally throughout the album. Thi album single handedly convinced me to take a closer look at my own guitar playing and to think outside the box.

The lyrics are pretty cool. Very political but nothing groundbreaking in that department. They do however go well with the overall mood of the songs as do the vocals. There are some spoken parts in Omerta and Ashes of the wake which I think are pretty cool. I think there are a lot of vocalist who are better than Randy Blythe but non that would fit in so well with LoG's style.

There is co song that I particularly disliked, which is pretty rare. The best songs from would have to be Omerta, Hourglass, Blood Of The Scribe and of course Ashes Of The Wake. I'm still not attached enough to this album to break down and cry if it was stolen, which is one reason why I'm only giving it 7/10. The other reason is that if you've never tried to make up a guitar riff in your life you would truly appreciate the guitar work on this album. The same goes for drum. They should have made Ashes of the wake the first track on the album. Overall, this album is definitely worth buying and a great way to start if you're new to Lamb Of God. I can't compare it to any other album because it doesn't sound like any album I've ever listened to. Get this album and enjoy!

Omerta Guy
    I can play almost every song on this album exept ashes of the wake cuz thats a bitch. This album is by far LOG's best! Second is a tie for sacrament and as the palaces burn.
    Chop_Suey92
    jesussowns wrote: Dude it sounds like this guy thinks slipknot and metallica are bands you can put in the same category as lamb of god. There is a genre for bands like metallica and slipknot. Its called,gay. I mean,metallica are cool sure. Just as cool as britney spears and robbie williams. Fuck-ing cool. Not. James Hetfield is useless and so is Kirk Hammet. Everyone says,ok then mr smarty pants (in a queer voice cos anyone who defends metallica is queer) if you're so much better than James Hetfield,how come hes so famous and you're not? The only reason 90% of famous people are famous its because they knew someone who hooked them up big time. End of story. Lamb of God are ****in metal to the core. Try call it something else. Metalcore is for pussies. Or you could just stop being queer and listen to something like Nile or Cannibal Corpse. Jesus i hate people who go on about genres trying to tell me that lamb of god arent metal. I guess that makes Slipknot DEATH METAL aye faggots? Go **** your mother. Lamb of God kick ****in ass. Their solos are perhaps a bit quiet,but they're better than most of the shit the modern industry is churning. I mean,****in fallout boy is some killer music. Very cool. And im ****in jesus.
    It's ignorant people like you who give Metal a bad name, because you are one of the most ignorant people I've ever had the misfortune to read a comment from. You don't even realize that Metallica helped create Lamb of God. Think. If Metallica had never come into the genre of Metal, alot of bands nowadays wouldn't be around. You are an ignorant fool and I hope you burn "Jesus".
    Smithsc
    I love this album, Lamb of God take the placeof Metallica and Pantera as the new kings of metal!