Ashes of the Wake review by Lamb of God

• Released: Aug 31, 2004
Lamb of God: Ashes of the Wake

Alright, Lamb Of God are massive, as they are going to show us their new DVD Walk With Me In Hell, thanks to 2006 album Sacrament. They probably wouldn't the confidence to push themselves if it weren't for 2004's Ashes Of the Wake. As far as guitars go, this living proof that you don't always need solos to blow people away. Although Mark Morton and Will Adler don't do any solos 'til track seven. Their rhythm (and memory) gives over-cocky lead guitarists a lesson in embarassment. You try mastering Now You've Got Something To Die For. The sound is great, really crisp guitar sounds not over-polished by Pro Tools. As for the rhythm section, Chris Adler can really bang that snare and those cymbals. John, the bassist? I don't think he had grey hair in 2004.

Even the biggest death metalheads didn't have a bloody clue want Randy Blythe was screaming about in Black Label, back in 2000, but here he is way more understandable. Put it this way; if manbearpig was a metal band frontman, he would have Blythe's voice (I mean that in a good way). His doom metal voice is deeper than the twilight zone and his scream sounds like that of a banshee, but that's sometimes annoying in songs like Blood Of The Scribe. Some people prefer Ashes... than to Sacrament, because of Ashes' topic on political matters rather than the self-conscious Sacrament. Blythe growls his political beliefs in "dying with honour" in Now You Got Something To Die For. But even when he's not political you'll still love he roars "see who gives a f--k!"

Laid To Rest, a wailing harmonic riff and blythe practically spitting in your face, awesome intro to Ashes Of The Wake. Hourglass, Testament-style thrash, not really with a standard structure, but who cares? Now You've Got Something To Die For, my favourite LOG song, with everything you could want (except a solo), and breakdown that's to die for: that bad pun was not intended.

lambofgodowns
    To Guitargeek706.... you have to have the worst review of any album I have ever seen. Of any album to bash on and call shitty, it should definitely not be this one. This album is a masterpiece in its entirety and the metal community should praise its sound. How the hell does it sound like kazoos? They're using some of the best equipment that you probably could never afford without your parents buying you all your gear, that you probably play secondhand serenade with. Oh, and they are some of the most talented musicians I have ever heard. St. Anger ain't got shit on this beauty of a record. pwn
    Metallidethium
    as an extra to wat i said before..i dont get what everyones big stink with "what ive become" is..i think its a great headbanging song. i think it fits in with the album just fine
    Smithsc
    Guitargeek706's review is retarded! what is he a f*ckin dumb ass? why would you review a band you dont like! what a dipsh*t!
    queenslander47
    Chop_Suey92 wrote: jesussowns wrote: Dude it sounds like this guy thinks slipknot and metallica are bands you can put in the same category as lamb of god. There is a genre for bands like metallica and slipknot. Its called,gay. I mean,metallica are cool sure. Just as cool as britney spears and robbie williams. Fuck-ing cool. Not. James Hetfield is useless and so is Kirk Hammet. Everyone says,ok then mr smarty pants (in a queer voice cos anyone who defends metallica is queer) if you're so much better than James Hetfield,how come hes so famous and you're not? The only reason 90% of famous people are famous its because they knew someone who hooked them up big time. End of story. Lamb of God are ****in metal to the core. Try call it something else. Metalcore is for pussies. Or you could just stop being queer and listen to something like Nile or Cannibal Corpse. Jesus i hate people who go on about genres trying to tell me that lamb of god arent metal. I guess that makes Slipknot DEATH METAL aye faggots? Go **** your mother. Lamb of God kick ****in ass. Their solos are perhaps a bit quiet,but they're better than most of the shit the modern industry is churning. I mean,****in fallout boy is some killer music. Very cool. And im ****in jesus. It's ignorant people like you who give Metal a bad name, because you are one of the most ignorant people I've ever had the misfortune to read a comment from. You don't even realize that Metallica helped create Lamb of God. Think. If Metallica had never come into the genre of Metal, alot of bands nowadays wouldn't be around. You are an ignorant fool and I hope you burn "Jesus".
    i'll second that. "jesus", u are an idiot. and enough with the "gay" comments, calling somebody gay is like an 8 year olds pay-out.
    metalheadblues
    cptazad review hits the **** nail wid the hammer lamb of god ashes of the wake is epic no other word to describe it..one of my favourites