Resolution review by Lamb of God

• Released: Jan 24, 2012
Lamb of God: Resolution

Lamb Of God is widely considered one of the best modern bands, with hit albums like "Ashes Of The Wake" and "Sacrament", some would say that these are such masterpieces that they're not possible to top, that the band should give up now. Well I'm happy to say this is not the case AT ALL with "Resolution"! It seems like Lamb Of God are listening to all of their previous albums, picking them apart and choosing the bits that made them really unique and better than most other modern bands, and improving on those parts while experimenting with new. People who were worried about a "Wrath 2" or an "As The Palaces Burn" failed throwback should not worry, while LoG definitely have a signature sound (which is largely explored here) there will NEVER be a day when Mark Morton or Chris Adler or any of the guys throw up their hands and not produce revolutionary music. From the new 7 string riffs in "Straight To The Sun" to the full orchestra in "King Me", and the circle pit anthem Cheated and the groove ridden "Ghost Walking", this is an album that once again changes everything.

Randy's vocal talents on previous records were limited to low, medium, and high. Then sacrament came around and he could do a bit more of a range. Then in "Wrath" we had songs like "Set To Fail" and "In Your Words" with a full range of pitches. Now we have a song with clean vocals from him, "Insurrection". While for most of the album he does his signature growl, there are many moments where he experiments with spoken and more of the full pitch range from "Wrath". Lyrics aren't of "Palaces" quality, but they're still brilliant. "Desolation": "A Dying man might take you with him \ until then I'll split the difference \ all that for nothing, what a f--king waste of time \ I'm gonna take what is rightfully mine".

This album doesn't feel like it was made by a Lamb Of God, this stuff must have come from God himself. This really does feel like a turning point, where the best elements of each of the modern bands are culminated into one album. I can't recommend this enough. If this album was stolen, the only replacement I could think of for it would be Led Zeppelin's "Mothership", or "As The Palaces Burn". The guitar work rivals the work of Brent Hinds from Mastodon, and Nergal from Behemoth. The drums skills leave no one to rival. And the vocals are what ties the whole album together. There is an issue with the tone of the album however, when listened to in one sitting the change of pace comes about 2 songs later than it should. Of course when it does change, it changes in force, in amazing quality. Individually however, the songs shine. Buy it, and you won't look back.

SkepsisMetal
    Minivirus2
    I've had today marked on my calendar for some time now. I'll be heading down to HMV on my lunch break and will promptly proceed to destroy my co-workers when I return.
    a drummer
    The_inebriator wrote: "Also, as a thought, I hear a lot of comparisons between Pantera and Lamb Of God and to me the really huge difference is Lamb Of God has a great vocalist/songwriter." Ummmm.....what?
    yea seriously, what? Phil is a ****ing god
    Oosh.
    Im very impressed with this album. They've seemed to build upon Wrath and evolve further.
    JB95
    Genre: Groove Metal, Metalcore
    You can't be serious... Anyways, I really enjoyed this album, and I hope they keep making mindlowing records!
    SGofawesome
    Masterpiece through and through. And don't be downing Phil, dude. He was revolutionary in heavy metal vocals.
    The_inebriator
    Octavarium86
    This.
    trivium_4_eva
    I didn't mind that review until he took the needless stab at Phil. Seriously? He's one of Randy's idols, hence the comparisons. I don't write a review saying "many compare Trivium's sound to the sound of Metallica, the difference being that herp derp I like Trivium better", because that would be stupid.
    Gods_child
    dont hold your breath for any tours, seeing that randy might become president...
    chrisvasco23
    awesome record. i had a few suprises while listening, like randy singing in insurrection. and the chorus in king me. heavy album, great way to kick off 2012
    napalm890
    1neeto
    Bought this two days ago along with Thirt3en and this album make 13 feel like a complete joke! I really wished I bought 13 when it came out in November, maybe then I would of liked it but I made the terrible mistake of buying it at the same time as. LOG album! \m/ \m/
    Shashi_Cloud
    In my opinion, Wrath is the most brutal album ever by Lamb of God but Resolution is still good too, reminds me the heavier version of Sacrament go on pick this up, it's worth it. It's Lamb of God guys! ****ing Lamb of God!!! I
    thenextkirk92
    Amazingly written and sounding album. Straight for the Sun, Desolation, The Number Six, Insurrection and King Me are my favourites.
    Shashi_Cloud
    King Me... nuff' said.... Pretty good album. Loved all the songs, if you don't buy it, seriously your neglecting your ears.
    Pthero
    I was surprised to hear Randy do some clean vocals on this album. He's actually a pretty good singer.
    bdof
    Maybe that UG reviewer wasn't the best pick for this album.....
    sewoo55
    SkepsisMetal wrote: Lamb Of God are kind of like geniuses at writing low tuned riffs with two guitars The lowest they go is Dropped D flat. Either way, I've heard half of it now and I'm actually pretty impressed. Straight For the Sun blew me away.
    They also used 7 string guitars for this album
    napalm890
    js81221
    iTunes pre-order better be cooperative when I get home. Or someone's gonna die.
    Eurasian_C
    This album takes a big ol' Taco Bell shit on Sacrament and Wrath. It's a perfect amalgamation of everything they've done musically. I'm thoroughly impressed with every track and everything is well written down to the last note.
    Amito
    Agreed. Ashes is just a masterpeice.
    Xstaticbass
    napalm890 wrote: Octavarium86 wrote: napalm890 wrote: Ehhh... Gave it a listen, desolation and ghost walking are good tunes, king me was the only song I thought was great though, and the rest of the album sounded recycled and boring. This. Oh UG... I get downvoted, but the guy who quotes me and says nothing but "This" gets upvoted...
    there you go. i upvoted you just to make you happy
    PeenieMcGee303
    Been listening to the album all day. I think The Undertow is my favorite song but that will change. On twitter Mark said Willie wrote that song. 10 out of 10 from me.
    cabbie_boy1005
    Visitation kills me every time. favorite song on this album. Randy's vocals in general are amazing on this album. his progression even from the holy "ashes of the wake" album is amazing, he is so much better now
    JakeFreeman256
    Finally just got it yesterday and I love it. The vocal range resembles Wrath, and there's a few riffs here and there that I find similar, but for the most part, I find Resolution to resemble Sacrament and Ashes of the Wake most. Sacrament is one of my all time favorite albums, and just a masterpiece so I love that they went back to that more. Everytime I hear the drum bit at the end of Straight From The Sun, I get chills. So sick. And then the intro of Desolation reminds me of a mix between Redneck and Black Label and it's just perfect.
    JB95
    Lyrics and Singing "I haven't read the lyrics yet.." 10
    LOL
    Lamb Of God's lyrics have always used biblical references, criticized politics and society , and attacked organized religion.
    I don't think that's right, because I think I have heared in an interview that they said they don't make such lyrics.
    EpiExplorer
    Shor-T Zero
    I haven't listened to the whole album, but "Straight for the Sun" is in B (whether dropped or on a 7-string, I don't know). But otherwise, yeah you're correct. So far, I'm really liking it. It'll be some time before I decide where it fits in the discography of how great it is, but I'm glad they took what was good in their backlog and refined it.
    the_burning_one
    I would rather listen to this album then most things, that being said, it is lamb of gods worst effort yet
    oncetaken
    vimal_6strings
    man u just compared aneslmo and blyth ...lamb of god has amazing vocalist compared to pantera..wot the f**** is that?? :O
    darthneon
    EpiExplorer wrote: Maybe I can be a fan of glamourized groove metal, but this band is still completely foreign to me, I hear good riffs and so on, but it just never clicks with my head. Maybe I'm just bored of all their songs having the exact same tonality and feel, or maybe I'm bored of the blurred and numerous use of the blues scale on the lowest D string. But I've only finished the first song and I'm already bored to death.
    in fact there's no more D string... it's tuned in drop C#.....
    CoolMcAwesome
    napalm890 wrote: ... the album sounded recycled and boring. This.
    I said the same about wrath, and Im saying it about this one too. I'll listen again, but first impression was bleh...
    ssjmitch
    i absolutely love this album! the main thing i was wanting to hear was Randy's cleans on insurrection, and i love them. i cant wait to see these guys live in anchorage on march 9th!
    Blackskall
    Amito wrote: oncetaken wrote: This album is a way better version of Wrath. I keep waiting for a return to the Ashes of the Wake sound, but I think I'm just going to have to get over that. Regardless, this album will kick the shit out of you. Agreed. Ashes is just a masterpeice.
    I kinda wish randy would change his vocals back to likes it was on ashes, its growing on me, some really good tracks
    Sparda93
    [quote]centermass wrote: this album totally sucks !!! and by sucks i mean it rocks harder than anything i have ever heard!!! oh my lamb of god is single handedly If you think that, check Down, Phil Anselmo, Kirk Windstein, Pepper Keenan, Jimmy Bower and Pat Bruders. Straight-up Heavy Metal.