Walk With Me In Hell [DVD] review by Lamb of God

• Released: Jul 1, 2008
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Lamb of God: Walk With Me In Hell [DVD]

Towards the beginning of Lamb of God's new DVD Walk With Me In Hell, Mark Morton says something that not a lot of musicians might have the guts to utter aloud. When asked about his time touring with Slayer and Megadeth he states, I want to play as hard as I can and make them look tired and oldWhy would I go into a show opening for Slayer with my head bowed? It's that candor (and confidence) that has pushed Lamb of God to become one of the top acts in metal, and Walk With Me In Hell gives insight into the whirlwind that the band has experienced since the making of the Sacrament CD. For as intense as the band may seem (some of you might recall the fight between vocalist Randy Blythe and Morton in Glasgow), the DVD shows the band is actually a down-to-earth, hardworking band that certainly hasn't had the smoothest ride over the past few years. The 2-DVD release Walk With Me In Hell covers 2 main themes: the extremely long touring schedule from the Unholy Alliance of 2006 up until the more recent headlining tour (disk 1), and the writing/recording of Sacrament (disk 2). The first disk is basically a documentary film, and you rarely get bored during the 117-minute long feature. It's impossible not to think of Spinal Tap when you see some of the situations that the band has while on tour (whether it's Randy going to the doctor after a machete drops out of his pocket or when the band is plagued by multiple equipment issues), and that's one reason why the DVD is so watchable. There are several concert clips edited into the documentary with fantastic sound quality, but it's just as interesting to see the guys have slap fights or watch fans do the vocal soundcheck in place of Blythe. Disk 2 focuses on the making of Sacrament, and although a little more intense, it still relays each band member's personality perfectly. Walk With Me In Hell goes deep into the songwriting process, as well as highlighting what each musician brings to the table. You get interviews during the actual recording process (which shows the guys a little more on edge), and some chats after the fact that give a bit more insight into what was happening in the studio. While some bands' DVDs tend to get overly dramatic, Lamb of God's release continues to keep things lighthearted. Just as in the first disk, you'll get a good dose of their extracurricular activities, which includes BBQs and poker games.

Content — 10
The band (and its editors) put a lot of work and time into Walk With Me In Hell, and it paid off in full. Each disk does feel like a feature film, and the pacing works well. If you're someone who prefers live performances over behind-the-scenes material, the bonus section does feature 8 songs from the Download Festival in Donington Park. The camera footage is not quite as polished for this portion, but it almost seems more suitable to have a gritty look. Other bonus features include deleted scenes from the main feature and the Redneck video. In total, you're getting 300-plus minutes of material, and that in itself is a huge plus.

Production Quality — 10
Enough can't be said about the production quality, which does give the appearance of a feature film. It's hard to say how many hours of footage the editors had to work with, but it must have been monstrous. Both disks have a very nice flow and keep the energy going, often sticking in live performances or humorous backstage antics at the perfect places.

The documentary doesn't delve into the band's earliest years, instead focusing on the huge turning point in their career in 2006. That's completely understandable, particularly considering the band has been around since 1990 and they already have over 5 hours of footage on Walk With Me In Hell. You won't ever feel shortchanged by the DVD, and the band's collective personalities ensure that things continue to be entertaining. This is not a band of egomaniacs, but rather a group of impressive musicians who still have managed to keep a level head after landing in the Billboard Top 10, earning a Grammy nomination, and playing on network TV. Even if you don't care for Lamb of God's music, you'll still likely feel a sense of respect for the Richmond band at the end of Walk With Me In Hell.

Gsh
    I'm not a huge Lamb of God fan but my brother is and I'm buying this for him.
    dwink1217
    drumpat
    Wow, no haters yet! I skipped the last DVD but I think I might get this one!
    the_white_bunny
    execution_666
    the_white_bunny wrote: i want to buy this dvd... log is bad ass chris adler is the sweetest metal dummer. and mark and willy are bad at playing guitar also.
    Bad meaning good. I hope. Also dummer should mean dRummer. Um, Willy - *Willie
    travd92
    Waff
    I'm purchasing this DVD today. I've been counting down the days on my calendar!
    TooFast
    metallica72487 wrote: so the 2 dvd is the dame dvd that came with sacrament delexe edition ?
    Partially. The making of Sacrament is on there, but so is their set from Download festival, and making of Redneck. I love the dvd, but I was expecting a more Killadelphia type thing, with a concert and all.
    Rocker396
    I just bought this the other day. I haven't watched the whole thing yet but so far it is. FUCKING AMAZING!!!
    javaman6289
    this DVD does kick ass but i could not, for the life of me, find the deleted scenes. I know LOG have a knack for "easter eggs" but ive tried all the tricks and got nothing...do they expect you to actually HACK the DVD? , i got this DVD in the UK, just so you know. I got it in the states, and here it's on disc 2.
    javaman6289
    ascendancy2
    javaman6289 wrote: ascendancy2 : this DVD does kick ass but i could not, for the life of me, find the deleted scenes. I know LOG have a knack for "easter eggs" but ive tried all the tricks and got nothing...do they expect you to actually HACK the DVD? , i got this DVD in the UK, just so you know. javaman6289 : I got it in the states, and here it's on disc 2. I messed up my quote haha. But I'm assuming it's the same for the US and UK. I could be wrong though. Oh and I did watch it. I've already seen the making of Sacrament (I bought the deluxe edition when it came out), and I've watched the deleted scenes and such. The only thing I haven't watched is the 40 minute show on disc 2. I started it, but haven't finished it yet. Not a bad deal, just over 5 hours of stuff for $13.
    yeah, all i could find on disk 2 was the making of sacrament, Download Festival. Redneck and the Making of Redneck...and thats it :S
    Jacob6293
    picked this up today, it's pretty ****ing awesome. there was a bundle with the dvd and a LOG t-shirt for 25 bucks at hot topic. pretty good deal and the dvd is great.
    JoshyJordison
    Im definately getting this my friend said it only costs like 12 dollars at bestbuy ...HELLS YA
    desimate
    bought this dvd a couple of days ago and its fecking awesome, highly enjoyable, even though i paid 16 for it =/ with the amount thats on there you definately get your moneys worth. highly recommend eeeeevverryone picks it up =)
    f1sk
    i like them but I don't know if I'd say the "top" of the metal world.....
    gordonbombay
    I agree, they are getting close though. As far as new metal goes they're right up there. Just watched the video of Mark knocking out Randy and it's hillarious
    ascendancy2
    f1sk
    travd92 wrote: dwink1217 wrote: f1sk wrote: i like them but I don't know if I'd say the "top" of the metal world..... thats what i was thinking too. they're certainly topping the mainstream though. even if that means they've sold out a bit since the burn the priest days. they certainly have talent and potential, but they're certainly not the "best" either. i disagree. hugely haha. lamb of god is probably one of the better known and by far one of the most talented and well rounded metal bands in the world. they haven't "sold out", their skills have improved and become loads better. sacrament is their best album to date and it's because of how far they have come as musicians and writers. but anyways, this was one awesome dvd and i can't wait to hear a new album!
    lol no way man sacrament over ashes of the wake? they had a tough act to follow while they were making sacrament, and again while I like the band I do not feel their talent and skills improved (nor did the songwriting) from ashes of the wake to sacrament again tough act to follow though.... ashes is an awesome album