Walk With Me In Hell [DVD] Review

artist: Lamb of God date: 10/09/2008 category: compact discs
Lamb of God: Walk With Me In Hell [DVD]
Release Date: July 1, 2008
Lamb of God's rise to the top of the metal world is chronicled in the impressive 2-disk DVD Walk With Me In Hell.
 Content: 9.5
 Production Quality: 9.3
 9.2
 9.6
 8.7
Walk With Me In Hell [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 04, 2008

Sound: Towards the beginning of Lamb of God's new DVD Walk With Me In Hell, Mark Morton says something that not a lot of musicians might have the guts to utter aloud. When asked about his time touring with Slayer and Megadeth he states, I want to play as hard as I can and make them look tired and oldWhy would I go into a show opening for Slayer with my head bowed? It's that candor (and confidence) that has pushed Lamb of God to become one of the top acts in metal, and Walk With Me In Hell gives insight into the whirlwind that the band has experienced since the making of the Sacrament CD. For as intense as the band may seem (some of you might recall the fight between vocalist Randy Blythe and Morton in Glasgow), the DVD shows the band is actually a down-to-earth, hardworking band that certainly hasn't had the smoothest ride over the past few years. The 2-DVD release Walk With Me In Hell covers 2 main themes: the extremely long touring schedule from the Unholy Alliance of 2006 up until the more recent headlining tour (disk 1), and the writing/recording of Sacrament (disk 2). The first disk is basically a documentary film, and you rarely get bored during the 117-minute long feature. It's impossible not to think of Spinal Tap when you see some of the situations that the band has while on tour (whether it's Randy going to the doctor after a machete drops out of his pocket or when the band is plagued by multiple equipment issues), and that's one reason why the DVD is so watchable. There are several concert clips edited into the documentary with fantastic sound quality, but it's just as interesting to see the guys have slap fights or watch fans do the vocal soundcheck in place of Blythe. Disk 2 focuses on the making of Sacrament, and although a little more intense, it still relays each band member's personality perfectly. Walk With Me In Hell goes deep into the songwriting process, as well as highlighting what each musician brings to the table. You get interviews during the actual recording process (which shows the guys a little more on edge), and some chats after the fact that give a bit more insight into what was happening in the studio. While some bands' DVDs tend to get overly dramatic, Lamb of God's release continues to keep things lighthearted. Just as in the first disk, you'll get a good dose of their extracurricular activities, which includes BBQs and poker games. // 10

Overall Impression: The documentary doesn't delve into the band's earliest years, instead focusing on the huge turning point in their career in 2006. That's completely understandable, particularly considering the band has been around since 1990 and they already have over 5 hours of footage on Walk With Me In Hell. You won't ever feel shortchanged by the DVD, and the band's collective personalities ensure that things continue to be entertaining. This is not a band of egomaniacs, but rather a group of impressive musicians who still have managed to keep a level head after landing in the Billboard Top 10, earning a Grammy nomination, and playing on network TV. Even if you don't care for Lamb of God's music, you'll still likely feel a sense of respect for the Richmond band at the end of Walk With Me In Hell. // 10

Walk With Me In Hell [DVD] Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on october 09, 2008

Sound: Lamb of God, a metal band out of Richmond Virginia, released their newest live DVD since Killadelphia which was four years ago. It was what Lamb of God fans have been waiting for and LOG delivered on the same perfect metal performance they bring to every show. I have quite a story to tell on this subject; I was in attendanc at the live show filmed at Download 2007 at Donnington Park in England at the mainstage. It was great, over 75, 000 people in attendance and I was there... truly an unforgettable performance. I have biological family in Ireland and I go to see them every once in a while so with Download as an opportunity to go see them that Sunday. "Walk With Me In Hell" is one of the best releases that LOG fans have been ready for for 2 years since "Sacrament" was released in 2006. LOG has a new album due in February 2009 and I'm sure it will not disapoint. This record used odd time signatures, very strange chord structure and more than advanced drums and guitar playing. Lamb of God has a sound that no one can touch. // 10

Overall Impression: In terms of the technical guitar and drums, Nile comes close to guitar and "Overcome" by All That Remains for the drum portion of the DVD. The part of the DVD that really jumped out at me had to have been the "Walk With Me In Hell" documentary was interesting. Live shows only impress you for how long right? But the documentary kept my attention through the whole thing. I love that it's Lamb of God finally coming out with another DVD and that the documentary is just as interesting as the live cuts. I don't hate a thing, which is what I say with most of the reviews that I make for this website. If it were stolen, I would flip a shit, but it has not been yet (thankfully) but yeah I would definetly buy it again and agian. // 10

Walk With Me In Hell [DVD] Reviewed by: execution_666, on july 05, 2008

Sound: Lamb Of God have come a long way from their Killadelphia DVD. The "pure American metal" band has lived up to that reputation. The sound is intense and at the same time complex. LoG has used one style for a very long time and it's only made them stronger and more popular nationally and globally; metal. You just can't be a metal fan anf not like LoG. They have been through tough times to get to where they're at and this DVD shows some of the difficulties on their bumpy ride to fame around the world. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is amazing. There's a lot to see. Lamb of God have made a great follow up to Killadelphia, which has gotten high praise by fans. The best thing about this DVD is that it covers everything and shows exactly what the band wants you to see; what it's like for a typical metal band to tour around the world. There's nothing to hate about this DVD at all. Everything is enjoyable and you'll find yourself watching it over and over again. If it was lost, I'd be searching for is and not sleep until I found it. If it were stolen, someone's getting a broken neck. // 10

Walk With Me In Hell [DVD] Reviewed by: Jacob6293, on july 08, 2008

Sound: The sound quality on this DVD is great. In the live concert footage you can hear every instrument very well, with no instrument louder than another. The songs that were selected for the concerts are some of my personal favorites. Most of the songs played throughout the film are from the "Sacrament" album, with few older songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD compares to the band's last DVD, "Killadelphia" in the sense that they both equally show the struggles of being a performer and the pressure that the band has to deal with, but it deals more with the making of the album and the issues dealt with while performing live rather than being on the road. I wish the DVD would have had some more concert footage, rather than bits of pieces, but that is about it. This is overall a very entertaining DVD and I would reccomend it to anyone who is a fan of the band or just wants to see what it really is like being in a metal band on tour. // 9

Comments