Wrath review by Lamb of God

• Released: Feb 24, 2009
Lamb of God: Wrath

Before the release of "Wrath", drummer Chris Adler said in an interview, "This album is going to surprise a lot of people. Typically bands that get to where we are in our career begin to slack off, smell the roses and regurgitate. We chose a different path. No one wants to hear another band member hyping a new record. 'Wrath' needs no hype. We have topped ourselves and on February 24 you will feel it." Lamb of God has definately not slacked off, and have sure as hell topped themselves with this release. Wrath starts out with an instrumental, "The Passing", and then flawlessly transitions into "In Your Words". In Your Words is completely BRUTAL. As is the rest of the album. The track that stands out most of all, though... Is "Grace". Starting out with a clean solo that runs for half a minute, it flows into one of the sickest riffs I have heard in years. Mark Morton and Willie Adler hit it on the head with that riff, and Chris Adler supplied quite awesome beats and awe-inspiring China Cymbal fills that left me shaking from the adrenaline pulsing in and out of my heart. Randy Blythes vocals have improved, but sound less produced and much more like he did on New American Gospel, but in the best way thinkable. Randy has also developed a bit of a singing voice, but I will leave it up to you if you like it or not. I know I do. "Wrath" is a masterpiece, and perhaps my new favorite metal album of all time. I'll give it some more time and see if it turns out to be my favorite album... Period.

As always, Randy Blythe's lyrics are violent, brutal, and uses very advanced vocabulary, but he still keeps it understandable and open for interpretation. The lyrics fit oh-so-perfectly with the masterful riffs that Mark and Willie lay down. Randy still is at the number 1 spot of my greatest metal lyricists of all time. And rising to the top of my list of greatest overall.

Compared to Sacrament, Wrath is much more raw, and less produced. This is what was expected, as the band mentioned in interviews that what they were aiming for with the new record was to go back to what they were doing, and really have fun with this. I'm sure they had fun, and I'm sure as hell having fun as I listen to it right now. This album has not let my speakers rest since I got it today, and my speakers my acually never sleep from this. I highly recommend this album, as it is the greatest metal album released in the passed decade. I cannot say I hate anything about this record, except that it is only 11 songs, 13 including the bonus tracks. I hate this because I wish it could go on forever. BUY IT! I am not asking you to, I am telling you to.